PS5 UMTX Jailbreak released for firmware v1/2.xx

8asd8j1.jpg

PS5 scene developer Specter has released their PS5 jailbreak that currently targets 2.x version firmwares and lower. The jailbreak dubbed UMTX is based on a webkit kernel exploit and allows users to unlock specific features of their PlayStation 5 console.

There are plans to port the jailbreak to higher firmware versions up to 6.x but due to the additional security measures this could take a considerable amount of time. Unfortuantely for those consoles on 6.x and 7.x firmware versions this webkit exploit has been patched but potential blu-ray related exploits are being considered.

The UMTX jailbreak allows users to unlock the PS5 debug menu and even provides users an entry point to inject small (limited) payloads such as a basic Hello World! test that has succesfully been run.

Supported firmware versions

While some users might be disappointed by the current limitations, this release is a major step forward for PS5 jailbreak development, opening the door to further discoveries and potential exploits in the future.

:arrow: Sony PlayStation 5 Discussions
:arrow: Source

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS4 had a crappy media player, PS5 doesn't even have one at all so hacking it certainly helps it as PPlay on PS4 is great as it plays most videos I've tried. I assume PPlay can be installed on PS5, too.

Sony has been doing a very poor job supporting PS5, the best game that's come out for it in YEARS was Astro Bot (my mind went to Astro Boy :P).
I don't need a PS5 when most of their first party catalog is coming straight to PC 😂. PC Master Race FTW 😎

DragonMals

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
Trophies
Country
United States
Wanted a more detailed response, I guess.

PS5 might be my final PlayStation console I just don't see myself buying a PS6 if it's gonna be more of the same as PS5 and require to buy a detachable disc drive (that requires an online activation).

I am so happy that there are people who understand what I am referring to with my remarks. I am sick of those that say "did you read the arcticle" dude all i want is more context

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Nagisa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess my PS5 will collect dust for the next few years until a jailbreak is available for newer firmware...
Thank god I already have a PC. Only game left that isn't on PC (and that I care about) is Demon Souls remastered. Let's hope PS6 come at the same time as GTA 6 so that I don't have to wait for the PC version

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess my PS5 will collect dust for the next few years until a jailbreak is available for newer firmware...
Thank god I already have a PC. Only game left that isn't on PC (and that I care about) is Demon Souls remastered. Let's hope PS6 come at the same time as GTA 6 so that I don't have to wait for the PC version
They should extend support for PS5's lifespan because it felt like it just started now thanks to Astro Bot.

PS5 is a console I don't regret hacking so early (well it's been out since 2020).

AndorfRequissa

Gungan Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i personally dont care about the ps5 games. i hope this leads to more backwards compatibility for ps1,ps2,ps3, and psp. i think these newer consoles would do alot better if they were able to play more of the legacy systems on them as well. ive got a couple totes of playstation - play station 4 games and would like to put away my older consoles while still being able to access my history of games. if the homebrew community can push sony to have more retro support that would be awesome. probably a pipe dream but still a great dream to have.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
If only they found this JB earlier than 4.03 I'd be 1 of the few ppl to have such low FW's.
My PS5 was updated only twice - the 2nd time to be on 4.03

Never update, should have stayed low coz rumor has it that there's a HyperVisor exploit by Flatz But only for firmware 1.xx and 2.xx

Golden rule is stay on the lowest firmware. The 4.03 jb was tempting but if it was me the potential of a future HV exploit would have prompted me to hold fast.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Man it sucks that the first thing people do is piracy. I get that it's easy to patch a few checks out compared to making a whole new tool chain for homebrew but it still sucks.
Welcome to why "jailbreak" are used in the first place. The only good homebrew are utilities, loaders and emulator homebrews, no one is wasting time playing your C example game you homebrewed...

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never update, should have stayed low coz rumor has it that there's a HyperVisor exploit by Flatz But only for firmware 1.xx and 2.xx

Golden rule is stay on the lowest firmware. The 4.03 jb was tempting but if it was me the potential of a future HV exploit would have prompted me to hold fast.
Yeah Ive heard the same old rule before- going back to the ps3 jb era. 4.03 was the 1st jb at the time, so its not like I lost the ability to have an exploited ps5 either way its still a long wait on the hypervisor bit.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nice for those dozen games that are still exclusive to PS5, and the PC games that are doomed with Denuvo. For example, RE 4 remake.
Re4 Remake is piratable on PC altho it may not have all DLC available. PS4jb has everything available and can use PC mods.
Denuvo will eventually be removed just a waiting game. God of War Ragnarok just got it removed recently.

Reactions: alexfree

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Re4 Remake is piratable on PC altho it may not have all DLC available. PS4jb has everything available and can use PC mods.
Denuvo will eventually be removed just a waiting game. God of War Ragnarok just got it removed recently.
I'd say w/in a year or so Capcom will eventually remove Denuvo from the RE4 Remake... Although, I own the legit version of the game (which was included w/ the purchase of my RX 6950 XT I purchased last year), I also obtained the cracked version of it (by Empress; all hail her highness, lol). And that is correct, the cracked version of RE4 Remake won't include all the DLC b/c it was cracked before the DLC was released. Lastly, actually GoW: Ragnarok never had any Denuvo injected into the game during its initial launch just like GoW before it so you can easily crack the game by removing the Steamstub.

Reactions: alexfree

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to buy a battery for my truck last week, freaking $280. I remember when batteries used to be like $50.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa where did you buy it from? Autozone? Autozone has their stuff overpriced, Sams club and walmart is cheaper
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa the 50$ lifetime warranty ones, yall had it good
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I gotta buy new windshield wipers pretty soon least they're cheap so many different brands these days
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Costco actually, Its a Diehard battery.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Heard ceramic is the material to go with now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But mine has 5 hamsters in it...Top of the line.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I thought batteries came with 6 hamsters? what did you do to the 6th hamster?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Him being in Ohio probably fried it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hot seller in Ohio https://a.co/d/5M1McyB
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    These are selling out quickly, hard to find:
    sprinfieldcookbook-png.458855
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'd think it would have documents on that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    This damn tower fan is leaking oil lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe its made by Diddy Co.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got arrested flipping the switch to hide all evidence
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So that's why every useless gadget has wifi now
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet lube sales have plumented...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Baby oil and lube are two words only mj would say together
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I had one of those suction cup phone holders on my windshield must've got so hot it melted and fell off pain to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Why clean it if it melted, just buy a new one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because it melted onto the windshield
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Then just buy a new windshield...
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/7Gbb0s-fFgw?si=Yzt1nZ57s3vFST4a