Gaming PS4 sharing Games and play station plus

Virdoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hi,

i'm thinking about buying PS4 but with latest firmware (unfortunately :P). Anyway, my friend has Ps + and new Red dead redemption 2. So we're considering about sharing his PS+ and RDR. From what i've heard, it's possible to share PS+ with one extra account and same goes game except the fact that other player can't play online. Is it true and if yes, how is it working?

TheDukeOfNukem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I do it with my friend.

I have Plus on my account, and set my console as a secondary console.
Then, on her console in her house, she sets her console (signed in as me) to be the primary one.

What that does, is means she can play whatever she wants from my account on her console, signed in as herself no less. She needs no internet verification, no bullshit, nothing. Once a game is downloaded to the primary console, anyone on that console can play it, and if you have Plus and your account has that console set to primary, anyone can use your Plus for online too.

Meanwhile on my console, I need the internet to verify that I own my games if I want to use them, and no one else signed in on my console can play my digital games PERIOD, nor can they use my Plus.

So basically, with PS4, you can have one console where anyone can play anything and share Plus, and you can sign in on a second and play those games and use Plus when connected to the internet and signed in as yourself.

I do the same thing with mine and the missus' Switches.

Virdoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I didn't used PS4 yet, so I'm unaware about few situations. Do we both need to use same account to sign in for sharing plus and games or my friend can simply set me as his second console in settings? Also, does sharing games applies only to digital games or both physical and digital?

TheDukeOfNukem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I didn't used PS4 yet, so I'm unaware about few situations. Do we both need to use same account to sign in for sharing plus and games or my friend can simply set me as his second console in settings? Also, does sharing games applies only to digital games or both physical and digital?
If you have Plus on your account, and your account has his console set as it's primary, he can use your Plus, even when he is signed in on his own profile.

You can use your own Plus on your console, set to secondary, so long as you have an active internet connection, but then, to use online you would obviously have internet anyways.

TheDukeOfNukem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks, what about physical games? There's no way to share them over internet?
Only way to share those suckers over the air is by putting them in an envelope, putting that envelope in an airplane, and having your buddy wait for it at the airport.

Virdoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
One more question about sharing PS+. If i got it right, my friend needs to activate on his console primary console option and then I need to sign in with his account on my console?

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more question about sharing PS+. If i got it right, my friend needs to activate on his console primary console option and then I need to sign in with his account on my console?
I don't share my PS plus, but if it's the same for xbox, which it should be;

HIS account is set to primary on YOUR PS4

YOUR account is set to primary on HIS PS4 (if you're sharing with him as well)

After they're set to primary, you never have to sign back into his profile; the games work no matter who is signed in.

Virdoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think it's not possible to set account as a primary. You can set console only as a primary, but i might be wrong

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's not possible to set account as a primary. You can set console only as a primary, but i might be wrong
1. Log into your friends account on YOUR PS4.

2. Select the “Settings” tab on the main menu.

3. Select “Account Management”

4. Select “Activate as your primary PS4”.

5. Select “Activate.”

You set the console as primary for his account.

Last edited by Illuminaticy,

CaptainJosh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So it works as follows:

You can share YOUR games with a friend by making HIS console YOUR primary console. Also, your friend can share HIS games with YOU by making your console as his primary console. Digital games, DLC and PS plus subscriptions can be shared this way between you two.

Let's take the example of you wanting to play your friend's games in your console - all you need to do is sign-in with your friend's account (it can do it himself when visiting you or if you two are good friends he can give you the details and do it yourself) in your console and go to settings and make it his primary.

There is one caveat that might or might not be important to him but he wont be able to access his games on his console if he goes offline or looses internet. That is because the console needs internet to verify the ownership of the games when playing in consoles other than a primary. You on the other hand will be able to play HIS games on your console even if you are offline.

The opposite would be true for games that you purchase with your account, he will have access to them offline on his console but you wont on yours unless connected to internet.

And so it is clear, you play with your own account while he plays with his.

fiis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fiis the "method" was patched when RE2 came out, but rumor has it another "method" exists...
Well that sucks haha. I had a 5.05 that I would use for games I wouldn't spend money on but could be fun to experience, that wasn't fun so I sold the 5.05. A friend of mine has a massive library of games and could have used this method to try them. Oh well.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well that sucks haha. I had a 5.05 that I would use for games I wouldn't spend money on but could be fun to experience, that wasn't fun so I sold the 5.05. A friend of mine has a massive library of games and could have used this method to try them. Oh well.

By all means, give it a go and report back if it works, if not, hold on a bit longer as I'm 99% sure a trusted dev said another way exists.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q