PS4 release 'imminent' if the developers had their own way

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There will always be a distinct handheld and home console market I think. No company would abandon one for the other (if they already had a holding in both markets). Until we reach a point when handheld technology is equal to console technology, it won't happen. The Vita may have good graphics but it isn't nearly as powerful as a PS3 for example. And devs will still want power on consoles and accessibility on handhelds.

Reactions: 2 people

MegaBassBX

The Noble Sate User
Trophies
XP
Country
By the way guys did you know that the next big thing will be I’m augmented reality,and do you know whats after that is mind control it exits but its so in development stage and really expensive when we reach this far what can happen, just imagine.
Augmented reality is already done with the cameras on the 3DS and Vita.

Thats way I said the nest step us Mind controller go watch this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH9N2-mLXzg

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hell, "Augmented Reality" is an uber-old concept - it was done on the PS2 and PSP as well, albeit in a limited fashion.
Thats way I said the nest step us Mind controller go watch this video.
Yeah, that's a 2008 video. You probably wanted to say "Mind Controlled", not "Mind Control" - two different concepts, really. :P Ah, how phrasing things can change the context...

MegaBassBX

The Noble Sate User
Trophies
XP
Country
Hell, "Augmented Reality" is an uber-old concept - it was done on the PS2 and PSP as well, albeit in a limited fashion.
Thats way I said the nest step us Mind controller go watch this video.
Yeah, that's a 2008 video. You probably wanted to say "Mind Controlled", not "Mind Control" - two different concepts, really. :P Ah, how phrasing things can change the context...

Yah and still in development , and yes I did correct myself !!

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea the next generation of consoles should be rolling around sometime soon, probably late 2013 - early 2014. For some reason it seems people are mad that this generation of consoles has lasted so long but its not a bad thing. They can't possibly make a new console whenever someone hits the limits of the current ones, nor can they when something better comes around. They simply wait till they've had time to sell a lot of the current ones and start making a new one once its been a while.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
....wasn't it confirmed that the ps4 won't be confirmed for release until 2013....and once that's done it won't be till a year or 2 after, that it'll start production. So basically developers still have to squeeze the ps3 for yet another possible 2-3 years.

D

Deleted_171835

....wasn't it confirmed that the ps4 won't be confirmed for release until 2013....and once that's done it won't be till a year or 2 after, that it'll start production. So basically developers still have to squeeze the ps3 for yet another possible 2-3 years.
The PS4 is already in development. If I had to guess, it's probably going to come early 2014 with the Nextbox coming late 2013. They can't give Nintendo too much of a head start.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot see purchasing a Sony gaming system. Sony need to lower the price; the new slim that was just released is priced the same as the old slim, or higher. Surely they figured a way to lower manufacturing and hardware costs, and the fact that some features are missing should also lower the cost. Lowering game prices would be a plus too. What about that TOS, Sony needs to add to their TOS that they cannot sue me for anything, and remove the part about me not being able to sue them. Sony needs to up their internet security too, quit being so cheap and protect their customers best interest (private info and credit card numbers). Sony blu-ray movies have ps3 updates hidden in them, is that a low thing to do or what. I look at Sony as a top notch company, but there are some improvements that need to be made my them before I invest my moneys in Sony products.

Reactions: 2 people

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well low ram, interesting attitudes to storage (on top of being an "instant on" console game) and slightly higher end directX9 vintage graphics hardware..... I am surprised they have managed to string it along for as long as they have (it certainly helped the 360 was in the same boat though).

On developers and their tools.... I am of two minds there
1) I agree- great times have been had and nobody has yet managed to transcend gameplay design (or indeed consistently do that well at the basics), nor would I be convinced if you said tech is holding back gameplay design per se (faster for more physics and AI I could get behind but it is so far from the only option/possibility).
2) DX11 and equivalent versions of opengl hardware add quite a bit and architecture did change somewhat as well, very much for the positive too, so I can agree that progress might have been held back. Indeed the cross platform development has possibly even started to trouble PC games which is not awesome.

On the slightly more cynical side with the trend being away from optimisation (and if that means a "safe" language is now fast enough that is not all bad) then a refresh that sees some more overhead might not be amiss.

"Games cost more to develop"
I have very serious issues with this statement, I can certainly agree if you are going to hire several kinds of texture artist where you might have not even had one (just got your 3d modeller to do textures) and push things to the very limit then it will certainly cost more, but "great times have been had" means you do not necessarily need all that. I could possibly be persuaded that the new shiny is all that sells and is necessary as a result, but I would want you to demonstrate you are not stuck in a loop and demonstrate that handhelds, mobile phone/tablet games, "indie games" and plain lower cost games are a figment of my imagination, I also hope it is not the case as I am not yet jaded and cynical enough to handle living in that world.

Re games as digital only.
I am reminded of a thread I made a couple of weeks back http://gbatemp.net/topic/331306-discussion-open-source-games-in-a-collapsed-game-industry/ and I would also want to bring in discussion of game monetisation as a whole if I was going to push it further. Saying the industry as it is presently understood is necessary just seems like saying Hollywood as it is presently understood is necessary for video to be made which given I imagine several of us reading barely watch TV or go to the cinema (or indeed may consume more video type stuff from the internet) and such a situation does not even warrant the raising of an eyebrow.....

ComeTurismO

CTO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Agreed with SinHarvest24. I do think that support for the PS3, Wii, 3DS, and the Vita should still remain. Oh, but I can't forget the NDS.
I cannot see purchasing a Sony gaming system. Sony need to lower the price; the new slim that was just released is priced the same as the old slim, or higher. Surely they figured a way to lower manufacturing and hardware costs, and the fact that some features are missing should also lower the cost. Lowering game prices would be a plus too. What about that TOS, Sony needs to add to their TOS that they cannot sue me for anything, and remove the part about me not being able to sue them. Sony needs to up their internet security too, quit being so cheap and protect their customers best interest (private info and credit card numbers). Sony blu-ray movies have ps3 updates hidden in them, is that a low thing to do or what. I look at Sony as a top notch company, but there are some improvements that need to be made my them before I invest my moneys in Sony products.
I agree, I don't get crazy for getting games for the PS3 anymore, or for the Vita, I just don't appreciate the pricing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
  1. What features are missing, pray tell?
  2. TOS is not law.
  3. TOS is not law.
  4. They have, it's about time we got over the PSN hacking incident.
  5. Source? I Google'd it, but couldn't find anything.
I only have issues with the bolded parts, the rest has been proven to be a load of croak - PS3 games cost as much as games for competing systems etc. etc.

Reactions: 1 person

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The PS4 is already in development. If I had to guess, it's probably going to come early 2014 with the Nextbox coming late 2013. They can't give Nintendo too much of a head start.

Give Nintendo a headstart? Nintendo is like one entire generation late. Seriously, the WiiU is barely a little above the ps3 and 360. Its CPU is apparently worse than current gen and it seems they can't even put the same amount of enemies on screen than ps3/360. The GPU does allow better graphics though, but barely.

Once the real next-gen starts, by that I mean PS4 and NextBox, no offense, but they will be miles ahead of the WiiU. The two of them will probably be capable of better graphics at launch than the WiiU in its entire lifespan. The two of them and the WiiU will be so different, it would be like comparing apples and oranges.

So yeah, Nintendo can get a headstart all they want, since it's not really competition for the other 2.

Beside, Nintendo this time is aiming for the hardcore audience. Well, no offense, this is a big mistake, considering the hardcore audience will wait for a ps4 and nextbox. You won't win them with games like Bayonetta 2. The first one did terribly and it was on ps3 and 360, which by the time of its release, had a much bigger fanbase than the WiiU will have when the second game will be released. Nintendo basically bought rights to a game that will do very bad.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Missing from the new slim:
Well, I've read that the IR sensor is missing, so that would be a hardware price reduction.
The little motor that turns on when the disc is inserted or removed, surely a money saving investment.

I cannot remember anything else now from the top of my head, but will dig further.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Give Nintendo a headstart? Nintendo is like one entire generation late. Seriously, the WiiU is barely a little above the ps3 and 360. Its CPU is apparently worst than current gen and it seems they can't even put the same amount of enemies on screen than ps3/360. The GPU does allow better graphics though, but barely. Once the real next-gen starts, by that I mean PS4 and NextBox, no offense, but they will be miles ahead of the WiiU. The two of them will probably be capable of better graphics at launch than the WiiU in its entire lifespan. The two of them and the WiiU will be so different, it would be like comparing apples and oranges. So yeah, Nintendo can get a headstart all they want, since it's not really competition for the other 2. Beside, Nintendo this time is aiming for the hardcore audience. Well, no offense, this is a big mistake, considering the hardcore audience will wait for a ps4 and nextbox. You won't win them with games like Bayonetta 2. The first one did terribly and it was on ps3 and 360, which by the time of its release, had a much bigger fanbase than the WiiU will have when the second game will be released. Nintendo basically bought rights to a game that will do very bad.
PS2 versus Gamecube versus XBox. 'nough said.

If Nintendo plays this right, the headstart they have now may as well tip the scales to their side. You don't necessarily need to have the strongest platform - you need to have a platform with sufficient power to support current-gen and next-gen games for an affordable price with a nice library of games. Nintendo has a year to create a fanbase - if they use this time right, the WiiU could be the next PS2. Besides, the CPU is *not* worse than the PS3/360 CPU's, the GPU is *far stronger* than the PS3/360 GPU's and it has far more memory overall - the rest is just a matter of developers getting used to the new SDK.

Well, I've read that the IR sensor is missing, so that would be a hardware price reduction.
The little motor that turns on when the disc is inserted or removed, surely a money saving investment.
Never met a single person who actually used an IR port, but fair play - it's missing. As for the motor, that's not really a "feature" you get a higher-capacity HDD to make up for the lower production costs, hence the price remained the same.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

Give Nintendo a headstart? Nintendo is like one entire generation late. Seriously, the WiiU is barely a little above the ps3 and 360. Its CPU is apparently worse than current gen and it seems they can't even put the same amount of enemies on screen than ps3/360. The GPU does allow better graphics though, but barely.

Once the real next-gen starts, by that I mean PS4 and NextBox, no offense, but they will be miles ahead of the WiiU. The two of them will probably be capable of better graphics at launch than the WiiU in its entire lifespan. The two of them and the WiiU will be so different, it would be like comparing apples and oranges.

So yeah, Nintendo can get a headstart all they want, since it's not really competition for the other 2.

Beside, Nintendo this time is aiming for the hardcore audience. Well, no offense, this is a big mistake, considering the hardcore audience will wait for a ps4 and nextbox. You won't win them with games like Bayonetta 2. The first one did terribly and it was on ps3 and 360, which by the time of its release, had a much bigger fanbase than the WiiU will have when the second game will be released. Nintendo basically bought rights to a game that will do very bad.
You sound like one of those Sony PR reps who claimed that the Vita isn't competing against the 3DS. No shit, the Wii U will be competing against the PS4 and Nextbox. They're all home consoles.

Foxi4 already tackled your other points just fine so I won't go on.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad

My thoughts exactly.

The WiiU will sell well, only because of the fan-base the Wii built.

By the time the ps4/nextbox is release it'll be as Foxi put it "PS2 versus Gamecube versus XBox." all over again.

D

Deleted_171835

By the time the ps4/nextbox is release it'll be as Foxi put it "PS2 versus Gamecube versus XBox." all over again.
I think you missed his point. He means that if Nintendo plays their cards right, the Wii U could be the PS2 of the coming gen.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Give Nintendo a headstart? Nintendo is like one entire generation late. Seriously, the WiiU is barely a little above the ps3 and 360. Its CPU is apparently worst than current gen and it seems they can't even put the same amount of enemies on screen than ps3/360. The GPU does allow better graphics though, but barely. Once the real next-gen starts, by that I mean PS4 and NextBox, no offense, but they will be miles ahead of the WiiU. The two of them will probably be capable of better graphics at launch than the WiiU in its entire lifespan. The two of them and the WiiU will be so different, it would be like comparing apples and oranges. So yeah, Nintendo can get a headstart all they want, since it's not really competition for the other 2. Beside, Nintendo this time is aiming for the hardcore audience. Well, no offense, this is a big mistake, considering the hardcore audience will wait for a ps4 and nextbox. You won't win them with games like Bayonetta 2. The first one did terribly and it was on ps3 and 360, which by the time of its release, had a much bigger fanbase than the WiiU will have when the second game will be released. Nintendo basically bought rights to a game that will do very bad.
PS2 versus Gamecube versus XBox. 'nough said.

If Nintendo plays this right, the head start they have now may as well tip the scales to their side. You don't necessarily need to have the strongest platform - you need to have a platform with sufficient power to support current-gen and next-gen games for an affordable price with a nice library of games. Nintendo has a year to create a fanbase - if they use this time right, the WiiU could be the next PS2. Besides, the CPU is *not* worse than the PS3/360 CPU's, the GPU is *far stronger* than the PS3/360 GPU's and it has far more memory overall - the rest is just a matter of developers getting used to the new SDK.

Never met a single person who actually used an IR port, but fair play - it's missing. As for the motor, that's not really a "feature" you get a higher-capacity HDD to make up for the lower production costs, hence the price remained the same.

well, to be honest about hdd prices, the price of a 500GB hdd today probably isn't costing anymore than a 320GB hdd from the past, probably cheaper today for more hdd space, who how really knows since the hdd prices were affected.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
well, to be honest about hdd prices, the price of a 500GB hdd today probably isn't costing anymore than a 320GB hdd from the past, probably cheaper today for more hdd space, who how really knows since the hdd prices were affected.
The Slim got a price cut recently (before the Super Slim was released) and seeing that for the same price it offers a lower capacity HDD, I'd say that the Super Slim is a good deal for those who value saved space on their shelves as well as higher capacity higher than, say, an IR sensor. :P

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about manufacturing costs? More than likely the new super slim costs less to manufacture, I cannot imagine it costing more as Sony would not produce a new product that cost more to maufacture than the old product, isn't that the purpose of retooling the manufacturing factory. Then there is the size of the product, surely the smaller size has reduced shipping costs.

Reguardless, I already have a slim 160GB with a 2TB attached. I think that the PS3 needs to drop to $200 before I buy another.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Grab and hold close your AncientBoi doll.