PS4 release 'imminent' if the developers had their own way

ComeTurismO

CTO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
more developers seem to be agreeing that the PS4 release should be imminent because the PS3 is maxed out. This debate has been going on for a while now, but it’s good to finally get an opinion from some of the biggest developers in the business.
What do you guys think, about this?
I'm not sure what to say.. But: ...I'm laughing how they say that the PS3 is maxed out..

See this pic:
PS4-release-imminent-if-developers-had-their-way.jpg

:arrow: Source

Definition of imminent: About to happen

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that Sony should upgrade the GPU and add a ton of RAM to the PS3 and call it the PS4, release it price competitive or undercut the Wii-U.

The PS3 and 360 have been maxed out for a while now its just a testament to the skills of the coders that they have managed to squeeze what they have out of the machines.

It's time to give the poor guys some more hardware to work with.

Reactions: 1 person

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure really. However, the ps3 is bottlenecked primarily by the ram and the poor optimization of the system os. That is largely why most multiplat games play better on the 360. The ps3 may have had a lot of potential, but it's completely lost when a weak link, or rather an oversight, prevents the system from reaching it. However, I think gamers need to prepare themselves for the cost of next gen. I personally hate the idea of processing power and graphics determining the success or failure of a console. That is why games like final fantasy xiii were trash; the dev(s) spending too much money on everything but making the game an enjoyable experience.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That is, if Sony HAS a PS4 in development.

I am sure they have some idea of what they are going to do by now, the biggest problem I can see is.... Does Sony have the cash to launch a new system?
I'm not sure that investors will back up a PS4 right now. Vita still has to prove its worth and conquer the customers' hearts, and PS3 took way too long to turn to profits. Not exactly the brightest situation for Sony.

Reactions: 2 people

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you mean going with sheer processing power, I don't believe so. Sony has already stated that they won't be using the cell due to cost. That likely means no ps3 b.c. as well. I'd imagine they'd keep the console no higher than $400 at launch, but will probably release multiple skus like they did originally creating an incentive for buyers to purchase the higher end version. As for the controller, I have no idea. I haven't heard Sony mention it. Though, considering the 360's controller is often referred to as the best this gen and Nintendo essentially copying it with the wii-u, I'd imagine Sony would release something similar.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You think they will try a new thing or do the power game again and change their controller later?

The rumors I have heard to be honest, are that the PS4 is going to be another 599 dollar machine, an incredible piece of hardware but very expensive.
Sony already said something on that tone:

"We've never been first. We've never been cheapest. It's about being the best. If you can build a better machine, and it's going to come out a little bit later, that's better than rushing something to market that's going to run out of gas for the long term”
"Ideally, in a perfect world, you want the best machine that ships first, that's cheapest. But the number one goal is to be the best machine, and that's what we're always focused on," says Trenton at 2012’s E3 press conference.​
So probably will be expensive.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Letting Nintendo launch first is essentially like handing them the crown which is what's happened with the vita and the 3ds. Plus, I can't really say Sony creates the best machines. I've had multiple Sony optical drives fail (4)--one even died within a year's time. The company fashions itself as expensive, but they seem to use cheap parts. I've had a 360 fail (refurbished), and I repaired it three times (reflowing once, but it wasn't worth it in the end (****y xenon garbage), so it's not necessarily Sony. However, I can say I've never encountered these kinds of problems with a Nintendo console.

Reactions: 2 people

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the PS3 is maxed out (which is still isn't), then an inferior piece of hardware like the 360 has been for years.

However, the PS3 isn't maxed out yet, first party devs still think they can push it further. The PS3 being maxed out is obviously 3rd party talk, since those companies don't know better.

D

Deleted_171835

PS3 (and 360) have been maxed out already. Developers achieve better graphics by using a sub-native resolution, no anti-aliasing, no AF and running the game at ~30FPS. That's what you guys don't realize.

I think it's due time for a new console.

Reactions: 5 people

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Console lifespans should be decreasing rather than increasing considering the pace of tech evolution. The fact of the matter is that the 360, the wii and even the ps3 were obsolete within moments of being released. If gamers want "true power" they're going to have to "pay for it.". That's why I say such things should rest with the pc not with console gaming otherwise you'll be sorely disappointed or broke. I mainly play emulators at this point.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mainly play emulators at this point.
:huh:

Tbh,While I didn't believe the amount would be as huge as the wii, I do worry that the others
will try just enough power to swing some games away. That said, who is willing to spend $530-600
on a console when you can get a good PC at that point?

I think that enough for a good PC at that
point. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night