• Replies 489
  • Likes 16

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is almost a complete 1:1 from the Ouya controller, aside from the PS button and the D-pad/analog stick location swap.

OUYAfamilySmall.jpeg
Really that's funny because I think it looks just like the Dualshock 3
dualshock_3_small1.jpg

Wow Sony sure do like to copy oh wait...

D

Deleted_171835

OP
If I'm not mistaken, Killzone was using only 4GB of RAM.
Its performance can increase and they can use more Anti-Aliasing and Aniostropic Filter
Yeah...more RAM won't help with that. They were already using 4GB of GDDR5.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who has worked in retail, I don't think I can ever articulate how I felt at the number of times, I've had clueless parents believing the Wii U to be a controller or the 3DS being like the DS but just in 3D.

Whilst numbering if unexciting and unoriginal, it does making fucking clear there is some sort of progression and that the system with a higher number is new system altogether.

I don't think it makes much of a difference. I remember in the 90s my brother bought a GI Joe game for the NES, even though we only had a Super NES at the time, and the cartidges clearly look different. He reckoned it was all Nintendo so it should just play.

To prove this isn't just a Nintendo problem, googling "can you play ps3 games on a ps2" gets quite a few results.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the price is $429.99 then that's not too bad, but I'd expect an unfavourable conversion to pounds, and then there's always the subject of VAT. The basic Wii U launched at $299 and £250 (on average), so I'd probably guess at £350 if that figure is accurate.

Might be better than you think! Yeah we're usually shafted here in the UK but this is promising news, and if it's true, may lead to ~£380 for the deluxe model..... £380 is still pushing $580, but it could be a lot worse! Personally I'm hoping we also get a Holiday 2013 release, but there's no news there...

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It's not asian language, there are many asian languages.
In Japanese, four is shi, which is related to death.
Japanese avoid using shi, and many times, they use Yon instead.
The same happens to number seven which is called shichi, and many times they use nana instead.
Actually, It's the same for Chinese and some indochinese languages (I believe Korean as well).
So yeah, Asian term is more precise than just Japanese. You're not wrong though.
The number 4 is simply a taboo in East Asia.

But since it's for an international audience, using a number is definitely easier to remember than using another term.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be more specific, changing from 8GB to, say, 4GB of GDDR5 (although that's unlikely to happen) would cause no issues whatsoever wheras changing from GDDR5 to DDR5 leads to many complications. That, and do note that the memory will be shared between the system and the GPU so if they don't want the slowest VRAM in the universe, they need to stay with GDDR5 at this point.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really that's funny because I think it looks just like the Dualshock 3
dualshock_3_small1.jpg

Wow Sony sure do like to copy oh wait...
I see what you did there.......but you should have at least shown an image of the XBOX 360's controller, as it has the transposed analog stick and D-pad. Silly nublet, Trix are for kids!!!!

To be more specific, changing from 8GB to, say, 4GB of GDDR5 (although that's unlikely to happen) would cause no issues whatsoever wheras changing from GDDR5 to DDR5 leads to many complications. That, and do note that the memory will be shared between the system and the GPU so if they don't want the slowest VRAM in the universe, they need to stay with GDDR5 at this point.
tl;dr for non tech-savvy: The "G" in GDDR5 stands for "good"/"gooder"

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be fair, all the speakers were developers or heads of game companies, and the video game industry is pretty male-dominated. Unfortunately, female developers aren't all that common. It's not a Sony thing - it's pretty much an industry thing.

It sucks that the lineup wasn't more diversified, sure, but at least they didn't put someone unqualified or irrelevant up on the stage for the sake of having one token woman.
A lot more positions can be appropriate for the presentation of a video game than for a console. Sony could at least make an effort with the other companies who came to their event to present games. I mean, doesn't any of those big dev teams have at least one qualified woman as designer, writer, producer, coordinator, or marketing manager? This seemed more like an oversight of Sony's PR department, than a failed attempt at a more diversified roster... it's like nobody in their PR even *noticed* they had an all-male team, everyone just sent their 'default' media people and they all ended up there by default. Or maybe I have just severely underestimated the difficulty in finding even one female employee from all these companies who is qualified enough to present a video game. Anyway, "token" or not, if a competitor has any female team members to present their projects, but Sony had none, it doesn't look good for Sony.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watched the Killzone and watchdog videos. I'm impressed and want one.

Not wishing to start a flame war this is personal opinion only but, Nintendo have really disappointed me with their latest offering. Once again they are going to be 6 years behind with a console that is once again mainly targeted at young kids. I guess they know their market but, I was really hoping they were making a proper gaming console this time. In a few years time when all the gaming engines are updated there is now way in hell the Nintendo console will be able to run the A1 titles. It can barely run the current engines.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Nothing that really interests me so far. A lot of stuff that isn't games, which is fine as long as there's decent games as well. They need a system seller and I can't see one yet.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot more positions can be appropriate for the presentation of a video game than for a console. Sony could at least make an effort with the other companies who came to their event to present games. I mean, doesn't any of those big dev teams have at least one qualified woman as designer, writer, producer, coordinator, or marketing manager? This seemed more like an oversight of Sony's PR department, than a failed attempt at a more diversified roster... it's like nobody in their PR even *noticed* they had an all-male team, everyone just sent their 'default' media people and they all ended up there by default. Or maybe I have just severely underestimated the difficulty in finding even one female employee from all these companies who is qualified enough to present a video game. Anyway, "token" or not, if a competitor has any female team members to present their projects, but Sony had none, it doesn't look good for Sony.

That's extremely unfair to whoever's chosen - essentially, they're being shoved onstage not because of their particular talent, drive, or accomplishments; instead, they're just defined by their genitalia because of some arbitrary quota. The intention may be nice, sure, but the message such it sends is a huge slap in the face.

Plus, putting writers/marketers/etc. onstage for tech demos? Yeah, that's going to be pretty obvious. Even with producers/designers/etc., you're putting people without serious training or experience in public speaking in front of millions. That doesn't sound like a great plan. Hell, even the presenters with experience were often awkward and shifting. You can't quite just throw someone on stage and expect magic to happen.

As I said before, the games industry is heavily weighted towards males. According to Forbes, at least 88% of its employers are male - and I guarantee you that ratio only gets more and more skewed as you go up the corporate ladder. Sony probably wanted to use big, respectable names (or, at least, higher-ups from big, respectable developers) to lend credibility to the product they were selling. The sad fact is, you're more likely to find Waldo in a random crowd than a woman who fits that categorization.

I'm glad people are noticing this, but to lay the blame at Sony's feet (especially when they've been using scholarships to encourage women to enter the industry for years now) is to miss the bigger picture. It's not a Sony problem, it's an industry problem, and it's not a problem that will be remedied until we begin addressing it as such.

Reactions: Guild McCommunist

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AFAIK, GDDR5 only comes in modules of 512Mb, meaning there's 16 of those babies in a PS4.... heh, the console may indeed end up being the size of a wooden plinth! (but who cares! :D) Changing down to 4Gb would therefore mean changing the number of slots down to 8 as there's no point keeping a board with 16 in: basically if they've announced 8Gb (and devs across the world have all heard - and are most impressed, natch - by the news), dropping back down to 4Gb would be neither issue free, or would it go down very well in the first place.... we can all surely see there's a couple of 'catches' coming before release, thankfully the RAM change in my opinion won't be one of them! .....The rumour's probably been started by the MS fanbois anyway....

The games will come at e3 BlueStar, what we had there, bar possibly Killzone, were glorified tech demos like we always get at this time in a pre-release build up. Save your final judgement on the games until we've seen them being played at e3, and perhaps more importantly, don't forget the first wave syndrome - I think you could've coloured most of us unimpressed by the first wave of PS3 & 360 games too.... nowadays those consoles are churning out Uncharted 3 and Forza Horizon - visually worlds away from the launch titles! ;)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah Microsoft, Nintendo, or anyone else who has a conference has almost never had a female game developer.

EDIT: And they're not gonna pull out the secretary at Sony HQ just for token female diversity. Why weren't there any black people at the show? Where were the Native Americans? Sony is now racist too!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to whether women, lesbians, gays, transgenders, transsexuals, furries, blacks, indians, asians, jews, slavs, martians and/or others were on the stage because I was too busy staring at games.

...I love it when people completely lose the touch with what's important on a presentation and instead focus on one completely coincidental detail.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Actually, It's the same for Chinese and some indochinese languages (I believe Korean as well).
So yeah, Asian term is more precise than just Japanese. You're not wrong though.
The number 4 is simply a taboo in East Asia.

But since it's for an international audience, using a number is definitely easier to remember than using another term.

Asia is a continent, and there are huge differences between it's countries,
let's compare Russia, India and Japan, it's totally different.
Aside there is no "asian language", as the OP said.
The main reason of Sony avoiding number 4 was japan only,
probably they don't give a fuck about chinese and indonesian.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...