PS3 as a blu ray player

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by coolbho3000, Dec 24, 2007.

Dec 24, 2007

PS3 as a blu ray player by coolbho3000 at 3:34 AM (980 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. coolbho3000
    OP

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Does the PS3 come with everything I need to play Blu Ray movies or do I have to buy an external remote or something?

2. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    I'm pretty sure you can watch Blu-Ray disks on it.. Since it plays PS3 games, which are on Blu-Ray disks.

Umm.. For the remote, I think you can use the PS3 controller, since that was what you did with the DVD playback on the PS2.

~Nero

3. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    You can use the controller. Only use the remote of you feel like you need the 'authentic' experience [​IMG]

The PS3 I find makes an awesome DVD and Blu-Ray player. It's picture is a lot better than the standalone BD Players I've seen. Only issue I have with the PS3 on that end though is that the effin' controller does not auto-shutoff after 5 mins or so of inactivity. This means while your movie is playing, you gotta take those extra 5 seconds to hold the PS button, choose to shut off the controller, and disturb your movie watching. I'd rather just put the controller down like the other consoles, but no, Sony are lazy bastards.

--Henry

4. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    If you get a PS3, you will need a HDMI cable. It does not come with one [​IMG] You can use the controller like someone else has said. You can also use the remote either the official bluetooth one. Or you can buy a cheap IR remote off ebay. If you have a PS2 remote, ps2 IR reciever and a USB ps2 adapter. You can use the ps2 remote on the ps3, or one of the multi purpose remote things.

5. King Zargo

Member King Zargo I'm a Star

Netherlands
    U need chips, popcorn, curtains and a sixpack.

6. coolbho3000
    OP

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

I bought it 80gb today (at a very, very good bargain, I'll say that [​IMG]). Two more questions:
    Can it output video in HDMI and audio through the optical port at the same time?
    Also, if I put in a CD, will it autoplay?

edit: both questions answered by a quick google search. now I'm going to go play some SMG [​IMG] and totally ignore motorstorm.

7. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil

Lol it sounds like your being the lazy bastard not Sony [​IMG]