PS1/2 PS1 changing resolution

mcopo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, I decided to play some Silent Hill (the first one) just for nostalgia's sake. I'm playing on my PS2 over Component on an HD TV and gosh, this game can't make its mind about its resolution! Every time I open a menu it switches the resolution and same goes for FMVs... it's quite annoying because my tv kinda reloads the screen when this happens. So there's a brief silent black screen bewtween the switching (brief enough to annoy me). Anyone knows any solution to this?

Sigh... I wish I had space for a CRT TV...

mcopo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Probably your TV model can switch between resolutions without problems, because I'm sure PS1 games do that. The intro with Konami and KCET logos in Silent Hill are really high res while during gameplay is not. I just didn't know it happened so often like when accessing the inventory.

Well it turns out there was an easy solution. Using the default AV cable instead of Component seems to solve the problem... screen never goes black!! The annoying part is changing the cables everytime, but I can live with that.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I decided to play some Silent Hill (the first one) just for nostalgia's sake. I'm playing on my PS2 over Component on an HD TV and gosh, this game can't make its mind about its resolution! Every time I open a menu it switches the resolution and same goes for FMVs... it's quite annoying because my tv kinda reloads the screen when this happens. So there's a brief silent black screen bewtween the switching (brief enough to annoy me). Anyone knows any solution to this?

Sigh... I wish I had space for a CRT TV...
If you think that's bad, you should try firing up KI gold on N64. That game changed from 240p to 480i while you are playing. And it's a fighting game, ffs!

Reactions: zfreeman

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
During gameplay?? Man... that's evil. Is there any reason for the game to do that?
You'd have to ask someone that was working on it at the time. I honestly don't know. But it's one of the games that was infamous for basically being a problem with the Framemeister.

The Saturn version of Symphony of the Night also changes resolution between gameplay and the pause menu... but at least that is usually something you can somewhat control. I think it's more done due to the technical limitations most of the time, especially with the Saturn and PS1 era games. It wasn't until the PS2/Xbox/GameCube where 480i/p was able to really be the de-facto standard for output, remember. I just know that if I ever did get my hands on a framemeister, and an n64 again, I can scrub KI gold from being one of the games I'd play. But even emulating it on Project64 is obnoxious as all get out.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you think that's bad, you should try firing up KI gold on N64. That game changed from 240p to 480i while you are playing. And it's a fighting game, ffs!

I have a real cart and this never happened for me, and i played KI Gold quite a bit, even the same game on the Everdrive never did that

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was brought up because basically the framemeister has to re-handle the handshaking process every time the resolution changes. this is not as big a deal with a game that primarily changes in the pause menus, but it is a big deal when it's switching back and forth. I don't know if the firmware had been updated since, but because of how the framemeister handles its scaling to be so fast, it has a hard time when the game suddenly changes its resolutions, especially that frequently.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was brought up because basically the framemeister has to re-handle the handshaking process every time the resolution changes. this is not as big a deal with a game that primarily changes in the pause menus, but it is a big deal when it's switching back and forth. I don't know if the firmware had been updated since, but because of how the framemeister handles its scaling to be so fast, it has a hard time when the game suddenly changes its resolutions, especially that frequently.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone knows any solution to this?

Not a very good one. Use composite or S-video instead of component, though then you might as well just play it on a PSX. Or play on a PS3, if the way it emulates and renders games doesn't bother you.

Chrono Cross changes resolutions over component for the menus as well, it didn't really bother me enough to not put up with and it made the game look better IMO than the other ways I have to play PS2 games.

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having the same issue with Resident Evil 0 for GameCube playing on my Wii modded with WiiDual, it's such a pain in the ass. How the f*ck can i fix this? It doesnt happen on my TV if i turn off the "fix resolution" option on my OSD menu for the WiiDual, but no luck on my monitor... it always shuts down and then power back on then the resolution for menus and cutscenes changes! It's driving me NUTS, the funny thing is... this doesn't happen on my Wii U.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this happens with mega man x collection on the ps2. the menus are in 480p while the games are still in 240p. I have a framemeister, and it does that as well. it's annoying.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's not such a big deal imo, since it's just that one game. luckily, the menus don't cause you to get hurt or die or something.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

a crt tv is what you'd want with 0 lag time. it takes my framemeister about a second or two to switch resolutions. it's going through a couple adapters too. furthermore, my tv doesn't accept 240p, so I have to use the meister.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q