PS1 changing resolution

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by mcopo, Jul 30, 2015.

1. mcopo
    OP

mcopo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2012
    Brazil
    So, I decided to play some Silent Hill (the first one) just for nostalgia's sake. I'm playing on my PS2 over Component on an HD TV and gosh, this game can't make its mind about its resolution! Every time I open a menu it switches the resolution and same goes for FMVs... it's quite annoying because my tv kinda reloads the screen when this happens. So there's a brief silent black screen bewtween the switching (brief enough to annoy me). Anyone knows any solution to this?

Sigh... I wish I had space for a CRT TV...

2. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    That's weird, i played PS1 games on Component cables and this never happened, it always stayed on 240p

3. mcopo
    OP

mcopo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2012
    Brazil
    Probably your TV model can switch between resolutions without problems, because I'm sure PS1 games do that. The intro with Konami and KCET logos in Silent Hill are really high res while during gameplay is not. I just didn't know it happened so often like when accessing the inventory.

Well it turns out there was an easy solution. Using the default AV cable instead of Component seems to solve the problem... screen never goes black!! The annoying part is changing the cables everytime, but I can live with that.

4. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    If you think that's bad, you should try firing up KI gold on N64. That game changed from 240p to 480i while you are playing. And it's a fighting game, ffs!

5. mcopo
    OP

mcopo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2012
    Brazil
    During gameplay?? Man... that's evil. Is there any reason for the game to do that?

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  6. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    You'd have to ask someone that was working on it at the time. I honestly don't know. But it's one of the games that was infamous for basically being a problem with the Framemeister.

The Saturn version of Symphony of the Night also changes resolution between gameplay and the pause menu... but at least that is usually something you can somewhat control. I think it's more done due to the technical limitations most of the time, especially with the Saturn and PS1 era games. It wasn't until the PS2/Xbox/GameCube where 480i/p was able to really be the de-facto standard for output, remember. I just know that if I ever did get my hands on a framemeister, and an n64 again, I can scrub KI gold from being one of the games I'd play. But even emulating it on Project64 is obnoxious as all get out.

7. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    I have a real cart and this never happened for me, and i played KI Gold quite a bit, even the same game on the Everdrive never did that

8. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    It was brought up because basically the framemeister has to re-handle the handshaking process every time the resolution changes. this is not as big a deal with a game that primarily changes in the pause menus, but it is a big deal when it's switching back and forth. I don't know if the firmware had been updated since, but because of how the framemeister handles its scaling to be so fast, it has a hard time when the game suddenly changes its resolutions, especially that frequently.

9. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    It was brought up because basically the framemeister has to re-handle the handshaking process every time the resolution changes. this is not as big a deal with a game that primarily changes in the pause menus, but it is a big deal when it's switching back and forth. I don't know if the firmware had been updated since, but because of how the framemeister handles its scaling to be so fast, it has a hard time when the game suddenly changes its resolutions, especially that frequently.

10. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Not a very good one. Use composite or S-video instead of component, though then you might as well just play it on a PSX. Or play on a PS3, if the way it emulates and renders games doesn't bother you.

Chrono Cross changes resolutions over component for the menus as well, it didn't really bother me enough to not put up with and it made the game look better IMO than the other ways I have to play PS2 games.