PS1/2 Plasma TV causes interference (noise) in Singstar microphones

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a very annoying problem when playing Singstar on the PS2. The plasma TV causes interference noise (loud buzzing) in the Singstar microphone or the adapter.

The PS2 was first connected to a 32" LCD but now it's moved to a Samsung 42" plasma. Since then I notice that the Singstar microphone gives a pretty loud static noise/buzzing. Another mic didn't fix it.

I'm sure it's caused by interference from the plasma TV, because if I connect the PS2 to a old 14" CRT TV next to it, the noise disappeared. But as soon as I switch on the plasma TV, there is noise again. The brighter the screen (e.g. a lot of white), the louder the noise. Also, the noise will disappear if the plasma TV is put in power saving mode where the screen goes off but the sound stays on. But I can't play with the screen off of course...

I've tried both a phat and slim PS2, no difference. Also tried to connect the PS2 to a different power outlet then the TV, which doesn't help. I think the interference come in with the AV-cable for the most part.

Is there any solution to filter out this kind of interference?

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a very annoying problem when playing Singstar on the PS2. The plasma TV causes interference noise (loud buzzing) in the Singstar microphone or the adapter.

The PS2 was first connected to a 32" LCD but now it's moved to a Samsung 42" plasma. Since then I notice that the Singstar microphone gives a pretty loud static noise/buzzing. Another mic didn't fix it.

I'm sure it's caused by interference from the plasma TV, because if I connect the PS2 to a old 14" CRT TV next to it, the noise disappeared. But as soon as I switch on the plasma TV, there is noise again. The brighter the screen (e.g. a lot of white), the louder the noise. Also, the noise will disappear if the plasma TV is put in power saving mode where the screen goes off but the sound stays on. But I can't play with the screen off of course...

I've tried both a phat and slim PS2, no difference. Also tried to connect the PS2 to a different power outlet then the TV, which doesn't help. I think the interference come in with the AV-cable for the most part.

Is there any solution to filter out this kind of interference?

Could try a ferrite ring, but chance are your cables already have them. So adding another won't make a difference.

Just to add, what country do you live in? Does the old CRT have an earth pin on the power plug?

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm from The Netherlands. The CRT I tested on doesn't have a earth pin, but the plasma which cause the interference do have a earth pin.
Does the TV have a detachable cable? As in, could you remove it and try a cable that isn't earthed.

Reason I suggest this, is I've had problems in the past with a "noisy earth" in the UK.

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does the TV have a detachable cable? As in, could you remove it and try a cable that isn't earthed.

Reason I suggest this, is I've had problems in the past with a "noisy earth" in the UK.
It's detachable, but it doesn't fit a unearthed cable.

Also, the noise disappears when the screen of the TV is switched off using the power saving mode, so it comes from the screen part somehow.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I don't know how are the plugs on Australia but I did get ride of the noise isolating the "earth" pin, for testing I did use:

1673323747523.png

when I was sure what the earth is the culprit, I had check the circuits by an electrician and he found what my wall socket was indeed UN-earthed and neutral and earth was connected together, the electrician repair the circuit and the buzzing goes away.

Reactions: binkinator

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Sadly plasma TV's generate very heavy broadband interference radiating directly from the screen due to the technology used. Searching the net for "plasma TV RFI" is pretty revealing.

Last edited by lwiz,
  • Sad
Reactions: impeeza

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does the microphone produce the noise, or is the noise played back over the speakers?
If it's the former you could try adding a ferrite bead to the microphone's cable on the end of the microphone, if it's coming from the speakers you could try adding one to the end of the cable going into the console.

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Most probably the capsule is ok due to the metal wire cage as is the microphone chassis. The microphone lead on the other hand acts as an antenna of sorts and the only maybe working solution would be balancing the lead output, which probably isn't feasible to do. :sad: (or even doable at all)

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The noise is played back thought the speakers of course, but it comes from the microphone or it's preamplifier. I don't know if the interference is picked up by the microphone-cord or the parts inside the USB adapter. I tried to connect the adapter with a 5 meter USB extension cable and move it out of the room which make no difference.

I ended up buying a second-hand set of wireless Singstar microphones (30 euros :(). These don't pick up interference from the TV like the wired set :)

But the wireless set has a bit more latency then the wired set and counting that up to the input lag of the TV (already in game-mode) makes a irritating echo when singing. That's solved now by routing an extra audio cable directly from the PS2 to the audio amplifier :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1