Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u4xyABASlc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Source: www.andriasang.com/comzfm/battery_test/

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3D is probably really tanking the battery.

I'm curious to see the battery life match up with 3D off. Still, the Vita still performed better than I thought. Considering all the nonbelievers saying it has "shit battery", it's nice to have some empirical data to throw in their face.

Although the battery will probably wear down over time and it's unfortunately not replaceable.

EDIT: That PSP battery also seems uncanny good. Must've been fresh out of the box with a fresh battery. My original PSP 1000 had terrible battery life but that's probably because I got it second hand with a second hand battery. My Go lasts long enough for me but not 9 hours long in gameplay with max settings, although I generally keep it on lowest and often times with sound off (since I'll play it in school and stuff).

Reactions: 1 person

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo & Sony really need to sort that shit out. Saying that how else would they sell their revised editions?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: That PSP battery also seems uncanny good. Must've been fresh out of the box with a fresh battery.

If you use a PSP 1000 battery (that's been well maintained) in a 2000 or 3000 you'll get exactly those sorts of figures with conservative power saving measures (brightness, volume etc...)

D

Deleted_171835

Well the Vita does have a higher capacity battery and a power-saving feature which caps the brightness when the battery is at 80%. And as for the 3DS, I normally wouldn't keep the 3D effect or the brightness on max.

But honestly, the battery life of both systems is utter shit. Especially for a "portable" system.

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
VITAS brightness is limited to 80% in gaming mode. So it's not running with the max brightness. You can see it in the video.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS is using 3D mode.

PSP is using the $40 optional battery. So were not talking about stock hardware.

Not exactly a scientific or even a fair test. Why not use the optional battery packs for 3DS?

A) How dare we test a product's battery life using an advertised (not to mention MAJOR) feature? I mean it's not like it's called the 3DS or anything.
B) "Optional" battery is also an official Sony product.
C) Battery packs for the 3DS aren't Nintendo products

EDIT: If anything you can count out the PSP in the test if you wish, the main thing that matters is the Vita vs. 3DS. They're both on the same generation and direct competitors.

Reactions: 1 person

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think a more accurate test would be
80% brightness
stock hardware
with wifi
no wifi
with 3d
no 3d
with 3g
no 3g
life listening to music
life watching video 3d and non 3d
life during gameplay include same and different game
life on menu

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While it's interesting to see that it last longer than many had expected it to, I'm hoping that Sony will eventually introduce a longer lasting battery (Maybe to replace the original once it's too used?).

TyRaNtM

I did some projects..
Trophies
Website
www.power-ups.net
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
The most interesting thing is that 3DS is only having a 1300 mAh battery, vs a 2100 mAh.
If that test are true, and a 3DS with the same battery (2100), 3DS should be endure to 4:16 at all Max.

And well, Nintendo is able to release a bigger battery (in mAh) to replace the current one.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty content with the battery. I never use max brightness on a handheld. So it'll probably last me a while longer, and I only need it for about 4 hours tops on any given day, unless I play it at home, where I can charge it while playing.

EDIT: The vita, that is.

Though, no problems with any handheld battery, really. Except my old DSlite and its fantastic hour long charge, max...ergh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...