Pro controller question regarding backwards compatibility

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by daxtsu, Nov 23, 2012.

1. daxtsu
    OP

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    Okay, I have a question or two about the Pro controller, NOT the gamepad(with the touchscreen):
    1. Is the Pro controller backwards compatible with Wii games on the Wii U?
    2. Has anyone tried to see if it works with the original Wii?

I'm curious to know, because it'd be really cool if it acted as a Wiimote + Classic controller in one.

2. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    When the wiiU enter Wii mode

NO wiiU accessories work

the the wiiU controller pro WILL NOT WORK

you need to use Wiimote + Classic controller ( Classic controller pro) or Wiimote + nunchuck or just Wiimote

3. daxtsu
    OP

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    That's a shame that the pro controller isn't backward compatible. It would've been a perfect replacement to the CC/CC pro. I had considered buying a couple, too. Thanks.

4. dtp30

Newcomer dtp30 Advanced Member

United States
    I wonder if the grey "retro" controller will be... Since it has a SNES shaped controller in it... I hope my Wii SNES controler will work!!!

5. kongsnutz

Member kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Australia
    Anything that plugs into a WiiMote will still work, there are a lot of options out there, including PS2 controllers.

6. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    I'm hoping that the Pro controller will be made compatible by using homebrew once the Wii U is hacked. It seems weird that Nintendo would do this, all they would have to do to keep backwards compatibility is to use the same communication protocol as the Classic Controller and Wiimote, and identify itself in the same way, which would be easier than designing a new protocol anyway.

It might even be possible without hacking Wii U mode, considering they are both bluetooth it could be made compatible with an IOS mod.

But making a wired Classic Controller instead of having a built in BT controller wasn't very smart in the first place, and that's far from the first time Nintendo has done stupid things, so I'm not exactly surprised.

VMM likes this.
  7. mariofanatic64

Member mariofanatic64 The guy who does things

Australia
    The packaging for the Retro Grey SNES Controller says that it works for Wii U/Wii. Note how it has an IR sensor, I actually theorize that the controller can be used as a Wii Remote/Nunchuk combined into a actual controller.

8. VMM

Member VMM Full Hollow Cero

Brazil
    It would be awesome to have WiiU Pro controller working on emulators and Wii games.
    Sometimes Nintendo do such stupid things that looks like they're asking for devs to hack their system.