Hardware Pro controller question regarding backwards compatibility

daxtsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Okay, I have a question or two about the Pro controller, NOT the gamepad(with the touchscreen):
1. Is the Pro controller backwards compatible with Wii games on the Wii U?
2. Has anyone tried to see if it works with the original Wii?

I'm curious to know, because it'd be really cool if it acted as a Wiimote + Classic controller in one.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
When the wiiU enter Wii mode

NO wiiU accessories work

the the wiiU controller pro WILL NOT WORK

you need to use Wiimote + Classic controller ( Classic controller pro) or Wiimote + nunchuck or just Wiimote

daxtsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's a shame that the pro controller isn't backward compatible. It would've been a perfect replacement to the CC/CC pro. I had considered buying a couple, too. Thanks.

dtp30

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if the grey "retro" controller will be... Since it has a SNES shaped controller in it... I hope my Wii SNES controler will work!!!

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything that plugs into a WiiMote will still work, there are a lot of options out there, including PS2 controllers.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm hoping that the Pro controller will be made compatible by using homebrew once the Wii U is hacked. It seems weird that Nintendo would do this, all they would have to do to keep backwards compatibility is to use the same communication protocol as the Classic Controller and Wiimote, and identify itself in the same way, which would be easier than designing a new protocol anyway.

It might even be possible without hacking Wii U mode, considering they are both bluetooth it could be made compatible with an IOS mod.

But making a wired Classic Controller instead of having a built in BT controller wasn't very smart in the first place, and that's far from the first time Nintendo has done stupid things, so I'm not exactly surprised.

Reactions: VMM

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wonder if the grey "retro" controller will be... Since it has a SNES shaped controller in it... I hope my Wii SNES controler will work!!!

The packaging for the Retro Grey SNES Controller says that it works for Wii U/Wii. Note how it has an IR sensor, I actually theorize that the controller can be used as a Wii Remote/Nunchuk combined into a actual controller.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It would be awesome to have WiiU Pro controller working on emulators and Wii games.
Sometimes Nintendo do such stupid things that looks like they're asking for devs to hack their system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro