Hacking PRe-owned hacked Wii U - please help me identify hack and add games

guiyoforward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Dear all, this is my first post, sorry for the extremely noob question. I've used the search function but this seems to be too basic... I'm using a Wii U that I had in a cupboard for a while, and it's been awesome with the kids during the lockdown. I purchased it ages ago, and it has an sd card and a hard drive, and it boots normally and loads a lot of games. I would like to add vWii homebrew for Wii games, and also install more Wii U material. However, there is no haxchi nor homebrew icon anywhere in the menu.
The sd card has the following directory structure:
apps
haxchi
install
private
usb-loader
wiiu

The haxchi bolted has bootDrcTex.tga, bootTvTex.tga, config.txt, iconTex.tga and title.txt. The config file states:
a=fw.img
b=sysmenu
default=wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf

yet there is no homebrew icon in the menu.

wiiu->apps has directories: ftpiiu, haxchi, homebrew_launcher, mocha, nnupatcher, wup_installer_gx2, wuphax

Thanks everyone and sorry again!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like it has haxchi, which should be a ds game. look for the iconTex.tga on the home menu.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

here's what mine looks like:
upload_2020-6-20_0-56-24.png

since I copied (not moved) the game to internal memory for cbhc, it still shows the same icon.

guiyoforward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks for your reply. No, I don't have that icon at all. Nor any other "strange" (haxchi, homebrew) icon - the console just boots into the menu and I have a lot of games and that's all. Not sure how to load more stuff or make changes without knowing the hack I have...
Any hint will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not one that looks like the attached file below?

If not check settings and go to hard drives and check if there's a ds game or haxchi under the internal hard drive. If not they may have deleted it and you would have to repurchase another ds game. It's like $7 for Brain Age or you could use the browser exploit but Haxchi is much easier. Or if they kept their login info on there you may be able to redownload the ds game for free.

Attachments

• 596df183040e6.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited by Jayinem81,
Reactions: jeannotte

guiyoforward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
thanks! no, the icon is not there at all. they may have deleted it. I will check settings.
Thanks again!!

Not one that looks like the attached file below?

If not check settings and go to hard drives and check if there's a ds game or haxchi under the internal hard drive. If not they may have deleted it and you would have to repurchase another ds game. It's like $7 for Brain Age or you could use the browser exploit but Haxchi is much easier. Or if they kept their login info on there you may be able to redownload the ds game for free.

guiyoforward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
No luck. While there are haxchi folders on the SD, I checked internal memory (only Netflix and prime) and the hard drive, and no haxchi. Not sure about DS game - there are about 100 games, anyway I can check if games a DS game?
thanks again

PS My main worry is how do I add new games? Clearly the console is hacked, boots directly into menu with a zillion games loaded, I don't have to do anything for it to work.

Last edited by guiyoforward,

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See if one of the games is listed here under DS https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_U_(North_America)

If not your options are purchase a ds game yourself (if their online account is still there you may be able to download one for free) or use the web exploit which means you have to connect to a website in the web browser.

Just because there's games there doesn't really mean its hacked. If you install Wii u games in the same region even pirated ones you dont need a cfw or hack to run them. There is only 1 permanent hack called chbc you would see a black screen when booting and it should say booting. The other hacks have to be done each time you boot and you can't install anymore games without accessing homebrew launcher.

guiyoforward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks - I klnow for a fact the many games in there were not purchased, and there's haxchi on the SD card, so I assumed that the console was hacked. I don't see a booting black screen. I don't have to do anything everytime I boot, though I have no clue on how to access homebrew launcher. Will check the list of DS games. Thanks again!!

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand what you probably think but Wii U is different. Just because there's hacked games there you assume it's hacked but that's not how Wii U works unless it has CBHC which is Coldboot Haxchi and it's a permanent hack, every other hack such as a regular Haxchi has to be done by the user each time they boot. I'm pretty sure you don't have CBHC either because you would know there's a black screen that says booting ora menu of options before it boots, and if they deleted the ds game with CBHC it would brick the Wii U, since you're able to load it it's not bricked so that means you do not have CBHC. What I'm trying to explain to you yes those games are probably pirated but the Wii U is different you can installl pirate games and run them without any CFW or hack as slong as they are in the same region as your Wii U and as long as they're Wii U games without DLC. So you can have a Wii U game with pirated games but that doesn't mean it's hacked. Hope that makes sense.

They were pretty obviously using Haxchi.and they probably deleted the DS game. You will have to rebuy a DS game, or use the web exploit to be able to install any additional games.

If I'm not explaining it good enough you should read through this site maybe you will understand better https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/

guiyoforward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Cristal clear now! Indeed, I thought pirated games=hacked console.
Thanks again!

I understand what you probably think but Wii U is different. Just because there's hacked games there you assume it's hacked but that's not how Wii U works unless it has CBHC which is Coldboot Haxchi and it's a permanent hack, every other hack such as a regular Haxchi has to be done by the user each time they boot. I'm pretty sure you don't have CBHC either because you would know there's a black screen that says booting ora menu of options before it boots, and if they deleted the ds game with CBHC it would brick the Wii U, since you're able to load it it's not bricked so that means you do not have CBHC. What I'm trying to explain to you yes those games are probably pirated but the Wii U is different you can installl pirate games and run them without any CFW or hack as slong as they are in the same region as your Wii U and as long as they're Wii U games without DLC. So you can have a Wii U game with pirated games but that doesn't mean it's hacked. Hope that makes sense.

They were pretty obviously using Haxchi.and they probably deleted the DS game. You will have to rebuy a DS game, or use the web exploit to be able to install any additional games.

If I'm not explaining it good enough you should read through this site maybe you will understand better https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/

guiyoforward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So sorry yo come back to this with my newbie questions. As far as I understand, the hack on my U has been removed. I think my WiiU has most of the games ever released, so I'm not in an urgent need to hack it to add new wii U games.
However, I want to install some old Wii backups - any clue on how to do this? I thought about re-hacking the U, but not knowing which original hack was used makes me fearful - Mocha and Haxi might interfere/brick/etc.

So in a nutshell: is there a way to add Wii (not U) games to my console?
Thanks again!

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would have to use the web browser exploit. It's been so long that I've used that I can't tell you exactly how you have to use the web browser and go to a certain web address but I don't know the web addresses I'm sure someone else does. Then you can inject Wii games with this https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

On the last page of the injector it will ask for keys you have to get 2 keys rhythm heaven key and wii u common key. Google them we cannot provide those on gbatemp. Once you get those one time you won't ever have to worry about getting keys anymore and you can inject any Wii/GC game.

guiyoforward

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Awesome thanks!!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oops. Sorry - too fast. I do need haxchi and gx2 to do this, right?

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haxchi = no web browser, just launch an icon and get into Homebrew Launcher
Mocha = web browser to get to Homebrew Launcher

So no you don't need Haxchi. Try this guide https://www.howtogeek.com/409430/how-to-hack-your-wii-u-to-run-homebrew-games-and-apps/

It says go to wiiuexploit.xyz on your web browser but also follow the guide because you need to make sure you have the appropriate files on your sd card. But I have no way of knowing if it's outdated and the site no longer works.

If that doesn't work try this (you don't have to backup your Nand unless you want to as a safety precaution in case you brick, so you really only HAVE to do step 1) https://switch.homebrew.guide/wiiu/browserexp.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc