Hacking Practicing using TCPGecko...any tips?

TamDanny

GBATemp 3DS Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So, this is partly because I'm a bit stuck on something, but also for gaining any new tidbits that can help with RAM hacking using TCPGecko/JGeckoU.

So I'll just start with my problem. I'm giving it a go by trying out RAM hacking with Pokken Tournament. So far, I'm making a bit of progress by being able to edit the EXP and stats of each Pokemon freely, but other times I get stumped. Currently, I'm trying to find the addresses for the health and Synergy values of the player and opponent, but I can never seem to track it down. Tried 16 & 32 bit searches (I highly doubt it's 8-bit) as well as doing "fuzzy" searches, but no luck.

I'm just wondering if there are any tips or ideas that can help with this kind of issue, as well as any other info that can be useful with using TCPGecko in general.

And yeah, that's about it. Thanks in advance, I guess. :)

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you're doing it that way, you're better off using Saviine to dump the save file and then finding it in memory, easier to edit sometimes

You can also try diassembling the RPX from an update, it has all the symbols and then you can try to track it down in the bss section

Last edited by NWPlayer123,
Reactions: BullyWiiPlaza

TamDanny

GBATemp 3DS Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well if you're doing it that way, you're better off using Saviine to dump the save file and then finding it in memory, easier to edit sometimes

You can also try diassembling the RPX from an update, it has all the symbols and then you can try to track it down in the bss section
Huh, I forgot about Saviine. That can come in handy, but I think some data can't be accessed through the save file (like the Health or Synergy values I mentioned earlier).
And I'm not a big expert when it comes to some advanced stuff. "Disassembling the RPX" is a new term in my book. XD
I know that .rpx and/or .rpl files come inside updates, but if you can explain that disassembling process, I'd appreciate it.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I forgot about Saviine. That can come in handy, but I think some data can't be accessed through the save file (like the Health or Synergy values I mentioned earlier).
And I'm not a big expert when it comes to some advanced stuff. "Disassembling the RPX" is a new term in my book. XD
I know that .rpx and/or .rpl files come inside updates, but if you can explain that disassembling process, I'd appreciate it.
It's a ldw file for IDA pro, then it'll load in pretty well
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ida-pro-wii-u-loader.382433/
Most of the settings from here are relevant, it's recommended to turn on coagulate code (and data if you want) when disassembling games:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/firmware-reverse-engineering-info-dump.421827/

TamDanny

GBATemp 3DS Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's a ldw file for IDA pro, then it'll load in pretty well
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ida-pro-wii-u-loader.382433/
Most of the settings from here are relevant, it's recommended to turn on coagulate code (and data if you want) when disassembling games:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/firmware-reverse-engineering-info-dump.421827/
Yikes, sadly I'm not as experienced as you. It's already hard for me since I really don't know what are most of the things on the screen, much less find a starting point to search for addresses. :P
Maybe a bit of reading/research can help, but this will take a while.

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess it's nearly impossible to find unknown values with TCPGecko when not even knowing an approx. memory range as it's so super slow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up