Homebrew PPSSPP discussion and testing thread

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some things I noticed while testing:

If a game freezes or crashes, you can (in most cases) press HOME, wait a few seconds, hold POWER on your gamepad, wait a few seconds/minutes--the PPSSPP menu usually opens, at which point, you can press HOME to resume your session.

Native saving vs saving with save states--your choice, but it seems native states "limit" you to a 1.0GB mem stick duo (probably just coded, because, yeah); do note, some games will require you to have an actual native save; this usually seems to take about a minute.

.iso games had little issues, but most .cso games were pretty problematic--look into it yourself, if you want.

:arrow::arrow::!::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::!::arrow::arrow:

Firmware: 5.5.1
SD type and Class: SanDisk 128GB UFS 2.0 (C10), UFS1.0 (C10), and SanDisk 2GB (C4)
Homebrew launcher version: old--from BoTW release
Emulator version: Latest (non-numbered)

:download::download::download::download::download::download::download::download::download::download::download::download::download::download::download::download:

No altered settings for any games tested--hopefully, you can find a certain configuration that works.

Brave Story New Traveler - Title screen crash.

Crimson Gem Saga - TBA--I got really tired.

Disgaea - Afternoon of Darkness- Seems to play 100%.

Final Fantasy 1- Seems to play 100%

Harvest Moon - Boy & Girl- Seems to play 100%

Hexyz Force - Seems to play ~90%; random slowdowns, artifacting, and misplaced textures.

Jeanne d'Arc - 30% working, very low FPS, game doesn't seem to load properly, i.e., menus won't display correctly.

Monster Kingdom - Jewel Summoner - 50% is the best I can give; game has text-based issues (any character (letter/number) in any mode, is displayed as a block (like when your friend sends you a text with iOS emoji, but you have an old Android).

Shin Megami Tensei - Persona 3 Portable - Random crashes.

Spectral Souls - Seems to play 100%

Tales of Eternia - Loads past title screen, but becomes a WSOS (white screen of shit) when you initiate the first battle. Pressing " O " pulls up a menu--if you have the patience, maybe you can set auto-battle and pray you'll get past it.

Tales of The World - Radiant Mythology - Game appears to crash at title screen.

Valkyrie Profile - Lenneth - Seems to play 100%.

Ys - The Ark Of Napishtim - Seems to play 100%.

----------

Feel free to do your own testing and cross-testing, but this is what I observed.

Reactions: Moon164

Jaspy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm super excited seeing how fast things have been moving with this, who knows where the compatibility will be in a few months or so, considering how much has progressed so far.

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
Firmware: 5.5.2
SD type and Class: N/A
Homebrew launcher version: 1.4
Emulator Version: Unmarked Build
Game: Saints Row - Undercover
Non default settings: Simulate UMD Delays, Rendering Resolution 1x PSP,
Issues observed: Extremely slow with audio crackles. 13 FPS.

Grimgolde

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Game: Phantasy Star Portable 2
Issues observed: fmv plays fine, runs at 30 fps outside battle, in battle goes from 20-25 and also brief slowdown, frameskip 1 cuts frames to 15 or slower
I am having a hard time getting it to work at all. No FMV played before the main menu, and choosing New Game brings me to a black screen that never goes away.

Also tried the Power Stone Collection on the newest build and while that does work, there are some issues on default settings. Trying to start Power Stone 1 just gives me a DSI error during the initial loading screen. I also tried a round of Adventure mode in Power Stone 2, and the game went from a great 60FPS down to 20 during the match at many points. You will see a lot of objects present during Adventure, coins fly out of you and your opponent, level hazards appear and many weapons drop.

Will test Phantasy Star Portable 1 when I get the chance (been on a PSO binge recently).

Y0shII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
I am having a hard time getting it to work at all. No FMV played before the main menu, and choosing New Game brings me to a black screen that never goes away.

Also tried the Power Stone Collection on the newest build and while that does work, there are some issues on default settings. Trying to start Power Stone 1 just gives me a DSI error during the initial loading screen. I also tried a round of Adventure mode in Power Stone 2, and the game went from a great 60FPS down to 20 during the match at many points. You will see a lot of objects present during Adventure, coins fly out of you and your opponent, level hazards appear and many weapons drop.

Will test Phantasy Star Portable 1 when I get the chance (been on a PSO binge recently).

That is weird, when I tried Phantasy Star Portable 2 I saw a few glitches during the fmv but they played fine (just noticed they ran a bit faster, nothing serious), however during battles all becomes slow, frames go down and it is difficult to fight enemies. Maybe you can try with another iso or dump your original umd again, I will try again if there is newer version of this emulator.

soniccomcisbr

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm right now on stage 4 from ultimate ghoulsts and goblins. sometimes the game can freeze. if that happens, just keep pressing the home button until you back to menu. when you choose continue it will back to normal

c80n

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Maybe it was asked before, but is there a way to limit output video to either TV or gamepad? I think that might improve performance by a lot if there's an option for it.

randralvarez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi, guys I was trying this out yesterday
Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles runs fine
Symphony of the night, on yhe other hand, has audio bugs, the save room runs at 14fps, and also some areas run at 24
The Sims 2 has audio bugs, graphic glitches and runs at 10fps

Gunstorm

xD
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, guys I was trying this out yesterday
Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles runs fine
Symphony of the night, on yhe other hand, has audio bugs, the save room runs at 14fps, and also some areas run at 24
The Sims 2 has audio bugs, graphic glitches and runs at 10fps

you are running PSX2PSP eBoot files on ppsspp to play SOTN?

randralvarez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So I finished SOTN, game ran fine, completely playable at 2 frameskips
Saverooms run at 10 fps tho, and there are a few times there are freezes, but other than that, the game runs fine. There are some graphic glitches when killing some monsters, like Cthulhu
When the wolf runs his legs don't move and it's just a still image moving

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__