Hacking Post your ideas regarding how to hack the 3DS, here

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Doesn't count, he's not going to share any hack he can find.

Um, what? I'm pretty sure if he finds a way to run homebrew on the 3DS, he will release it. He probably won't release anything he finds that will lead to piracy, but that is a whole other matter.
He never released anything about the DSi, did he?
What evidence do you have that he ever got homebrew running on it in any fashion other than DSiWareHax? And are you sure he wasn't involved with DSiWareHax?

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Um, what? I'm pretty sure if he finds a way to run homebrew on the 3DS, he will release it. He probably won't release anything he finds that will lead to piracy, but that is a whole other matter.
He never released anything about the DSi, did he?
What evidence do you have that he ever got homebrew running on it in any fashion other than DSiWareHax? And are you sure he wasn't involved with DSiWareHax?
I have no evidence.
I still don't think he's going to release anything to GBAtemp in general.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have no evidence.
I still don't think he's going to release anything to GBAtemp in general.

What has GBATemp got to do with it? No serious releases ever take place on GBAtemp. Was homebrew channel for the Wii released here? How about twilight hack? BootMii? No, didn't think so. Of course the release won't be "to GBAtemp". It'll (hypothetically) be a general release to the world at large. Your post makes very little sense.

Reactions: 1 person

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Theoretically, couldn't we wipe the whole NAND and write a new OS for the 3DS?
Then start working on a homebrew channel, and move on from there.
Yes or no?
No. The 3DS, like other consoles, will not boot from NAND. This means that another chip will be responsible for booting code that resides on the NAND (like the System Menu). That chip would expect the NAND to be encrypted with a specific key and, when it sees that it's not, it revokes the usefulness of the 3DS for all functions except one – a paperweight.

Reactions: 2 people

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theoretically, couldn't we wipe the whole NAND and write a new OS for the 3DS?
Then start working on a homebrew channel, and move on from there.
Yes or no?
That would most likely be a last resort if all other attempts to hack it fail.
So far, they have. >_>
And yet Neimod is still hard at work with his RAM board.
Do you blame Neimod? If I was doing this, I'd not even tell anyone that I am since I live in DMCA-land.
His reasoning though is more likely that he spent lots of money and time and expects to get at least a short-term return until the exclusivity runs out when someone figures out what he did or another method.

Replacing the entire CPU is the most practical hack but only if you're a big-time counterfeiter. Seems that Nintendo wants to support clones more than homebrew! :P Well, replacing the CPU with a drop-in chip would require those kinds of resources. If you're just wanting a development system, and can figure out how the original chip works, then you can just make something like a combination firmware/hardware ICE(In-Circuit Emulator). Think of a FPGA that costs a lot and is not trivial to connect to the real board. It would also not be as portable as a 'fakechip' mod. The programming of said FPGA would also be nontrivial since we know just about all of jack s*** about the internals of the legitimate CPU. Has anyone dumped the firmware and the keys to decrypt it, even?

If you did go to all the trouble of soldering that horrible contraption and getting the firmware running accurately, it would be nice to go ahead and add support for EVERY game system from before the DS and PSP. GB/GBC/GBA/NES/SNES/... Switching to emulate a different system would just be reloading the FPGA with a different firmware image. If you could somehow magically get this to fit inside a normal 3DS case, this would rock! Well, except for the battery life! :D

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK everyone, I now have the arguably best and surefire method to crack this open.

We can SUPERHACK the 3DS!

Here is how it works:

1. Connect the 3DS to a wifi router.
2. Also connect your PC to the same router.
3. Hook up a lightning rod to your house.
4. When the lightning strikes, your computer will be overclocked and this enables it to overpower the 3DS security.
5. ???
6. Unlimited game DEMOS
This thread isn't here for jokes.

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK everyone, I now have the arguably best and surefire method to crack this open.

We can SUPERHACK the 3DS!

Here is how it works:

1. Connect the 3DS to a wifi router.
2. Also connect your PC to the same router.
3. Hook up a lightning rod to your house.
4. When the lightning strikes, your computer will be overclocked and this enables it to overpower the 3DS security.
5. ???
6. Unlimited game DEMOS
This thread isn't here for jokes.

If you want to make jokes, there is an appropriate place, Here.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, if you had a computer capable of breaking the encryption, then all the DRM in the world is useless. Then again, that's impossible.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's a theory. 3DS games have access to the SD slot, right? What if a cart were made just to boot .3DS files off the SD?

Damn man, have you been reading?
We can't do that without executing our own code, which we can't because we can't sign our own code.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a theory. 3DS games have access to the SD slot, right? What if a cart were made just to boot .3DS files off the SD?

We can't do that without executing our own code, which we can't because we can't sign our own code.
Someone could get the developer stuff..

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country

Someone could get the developer stuff..
And how would one do that?
There were some developer units, weren't there?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Developers can't sign code. They make code, run it on special dev units (which are hard to get access to unless you are a legitimate developer with a history of releases etc.) and once it's ready, send it to Nintendo for signing. Unless you happen to be one of the (probably few) Nintendo employees able to actually sign software for the 3DS, that idea is completely moronic.

Reactions: 2 people

el_venga

Handhelds Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
One question. What files have you tested that can be downloaded by 3ds browser? This is for my own reasearch. Please just limit to answer the question.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, another issue is that there may be multiple keys like with HDCP. Break one and they may (read: will) release a firmware update that blacklists all games with that key unless checksums match a known list of legitimate games with that key.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay then, can DSi cards do anything with the SD card?
Why would we crash it in DSi mode?
Perhaps he's suggesting that the 3DS writes DSi data to the SD card after encrypting it using the 3DS's key, so if we hacked a DSi game that wrote encrypted data to the SD card, we'd be able to encrypt data using the 3DS's console key. However, I don't think there are any DSi games that need to write encrypted data to the SD card and we'd also need to know the plaintext of some encrypted data used by the 3DS so we could modify it. Also, I don't think that's what he was suggesting :ha:

One question. What files have you tested that can be downloaded by 3ds browser? This is for my own reasearch. Please just limit to answer the question.
Yes, sir! I've tested... MPO files only. This thread is for hacking theories, state your theory or kindly GTFO :wink:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    people usuallyu screech at necro posts but Idk why personally
  • JefferyCuddletrousers @ JefferyCuddletrousers:
    pfft alright
    well im superduper new to citrus and im trying to download a hello kitty cooking game (dont judge) but it was a cia file. i did the thing to turn it into cci but citra says you need the game to be a folder to import it. im kinda dumb so maybe im not looking hard enough for answers if anyone can help....
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Be a folder? What's the exact error message?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just double click the folder and add it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The root folder where you have games stored
    Yeah, just try the "add new game directory".
    no error message, and its just a file not a folder
    And do what the troll said.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but Citra uses that to scan folders
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So it could be like C:\\Games\folder\game.Cci
    nothing like that pops up
    wait i mightve gotten it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'll want to add c:\\Games\folder
    it works now i have no clue what just happened?

:nayps3:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can also drag and drop the game into it for future reference
    i know that, it just wouldnt show because it had to be a file and it wasnt
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well now it works
    yeah im confused but thanks all for trying to help haha
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Think this Nyko PowerPak+ in my OG 3DS is starting to expand ever so slightly 😨 what a shame, to have to go back to an OG size battery soon.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most emulators will be like that where it asks for a parent directory
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, 3ds batteries are fairly cheap just don't overspend on oem
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Yeah I just like this massive extended battery lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol length
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember those psp batteries that came with bulged psp battery covers
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I remember those psp batteries that came with bulged psp battery covers