Homebrew Post Homebrew ideas, suggestion, requests here

Angar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I suppose the 3DS has already lived its best years (including as far as Homebrew dev is concerned), so I don't have high hopes in posting here, plus I must apologize since this must have been asked like a hundred times before I do, but hell, I thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a go anyway, just in case...

Because I love my N3DSXL, I'm making full use of it, and I only have 1, one, ONE regret about it: that I can't use it as an eBook reader!

Sure, there are a few homebrew options to read ePub books... I believe I've tried them all (including the old NDS one): they won't accept 90% of my ePub collection (I have collected several thousands of them), nor any attempt by me to reformat them to a more regular ePub type... All except one (ie. "3DS eBook Reader"), which accepts some. Yet it can only realistically be used to read very short stories, and forget reading a novel with it: first it is very VERY slow to actually display pages, and second, there is NO option to jump to a certain page (unless I missed sth), which means (you guessed it) that unless you are prepared to read a full regular 300+ pages novel in one go, you have to patiently slide back to the last page you read EVERY single time you come back to your eBook!

And to top it all, not a single one of these readers support Sleep mode, which is unconvenient to say the very least. So no, I don't believe there's any /serious/ eReader available on the 3DS, and it's a DAMN shame, considering all the great stuff that's been developed and is available in the Homebrew community, to think that there prolly won't ever be a proper one.

Also of course, a proper one would mean (in addition to what I mentioned above, ie. at least "Jump to page #" + Sleep mode support features) not just ePub but the support of basic regular PDF format. Is the 3DS not powerful enough to handle PDF?

Like I said, that's the only issue I have with everything the 3DS community has offered: no PDF support. I'd have assumed it to be an absolute given that it would be coded and appear at some point. Guess the gaming community as a whole is not so much into reading books, eh?

I don't want to sound ungrateful here. I'm well enjoying many many HB utils/tools and I'm real glad and thankful to the cool and generous people who developed them. I'm not a coder myself, I didn't directly contribute to the community and I have absolutely no right _demanding_ anything obviously. So I just don't...
I'm only very surprised (and disappointed, yes) that a PDF reader was never considered and materialised eventually, coz... Really, wouldn't have this been the perfect (gaming) platform to use one?

It feels like a missed opportunity to me and with all the amazing things I can do with my handheld, thanks to all the amazing people and especially the coders giving away all their time and efforts for the community and SHARING (and very little thanks to greedy Nintendo I must say -- not a great deal of respect for them, and that's ok since they tend not to show much respect for their customers either), I regret deeply not being able to carry and enjoy dozens/hundreds of books along with the dozens/hundreds of games I have access to on this great platform!

That was my two cents, and as I said, I don't believe there's still much hope for such a proper eBook reader to be developed at this point in the life of the 3DS... But it can't hurt to ask, and if someone with the skills and passion reads this and feels compelled to fix and fill such a "glaring shortfall" in the homebrew world, well that's a miracle I'd be more than happy to witness.

Last edited by Angar,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know, i guess if possible could usb data transfer plugin/homebrew app so you could video capture via 3DS usb cable?
i dont think there is anything like that. not unless ya wanna hardmod your console to have a usb port. Even then I dont think video capture would be great or work much at all.

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont think there is anything like that. not unless ya wanna hardmod your console to have a usb port. Even then I dont think video capture would be great or work much at all.
It worked for PSP via Remote Play (yeah two completely different hardware and handhelds) but just throwing out a suggestion, one other idea i got is perhaps online netplay of VC games since Nintendo never added an option for that nor RetroArch for 3DS yet as far as i know.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It worked for PSP via Remote Play (yeah two completely different hardware and handhelds) but just throwing out a suggestion, one other idea i got is perhaps online netplay of VC games since Nintendo never added an option for that nor RetroArch for 3DS yet as far as i know.
The 3ds doesn't have usb though the only "usb" cable for it is power, no data from that port at all

Reactions: Itzumi

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, i was only wondering if it's possible to switch between charge and data transfer
No, that's not how it works.
Its purely a charging port, it has no hardware to handle any kind of data, only power. You can't modify that in software because there's no hardware for it.

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You CAN use NTR CFW along with SnickerStream or Kit-Kat, if you don't mind crappy FPS when on wi-fi.
Yeah i figure as much, just curious was all thanks for the blunt answers :-)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No, that's not how it works.
Its purely a charging port, it has no hardware to handle any kind of data, only power. You can't modify that in software because there's no hardware for it.
Got ya! understood now, thank you.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Request: A reverse FBI or reverse freeshop that allows you to put a ROM back into a CIA by ROM name instead of titleid, must also be able to pack up an update and DLC into it's own CIA as well. And also be able to do it by queing up titles like how freeshop had a que for installs. That way I don't have to visit some rom site to get the roms I need to put onto a new 2/3DS XL/LL, etc.

As much as Godmode9 and Decrypt9WIP allows you to do a CIA packaging, doing it by titleid alone gets exceedingly hard when you got 300 titiles on a 3DS you want to dump.
(I gave the F**K up on these two after I had to scroll down to pick up where I was on the last titleID after 100 or so times.)

If there is already one like that available, you can point me to it.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,

concept8192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt this will ever be possible, but I saw and was wondering if SanicBall could be ported to the n3ds using the source code provided in https://github.com/BK-TN/Sanicball. I couldn't do it myself 'cause the Unity n3ds export requires a bunch of stuff I don't have (mainly the fact that I'm under 18). I don't really understand how hard it is to create homebrew .3DSXs or .CIAs, so if someone could help, that would be nice.

Reactions: Hambrew

Zombies9912

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that Quake is on 3ds could Nazi Zombies portable be ported over as well? Here are some githubs with source code.
github.co m/masterfeizz/ctrQuake
github.co m/thyjukki/NZP-Reboot
github.co m/CollinScripter/Revamped3DS
thanks

soguyswedidit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Discord client like 3DiScord, sometimes I only have access to my 3DS and not phone or PC, so this'd be great

You would like need to be able to log in w/ out token and have a decent GUI ig

Have access to DMs and servers

Voice chat wouldn't be possible I assume, but if so itd be a great feature

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!