Homebrew Post Homebrew ideas, suggestion, requests here

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
smaulum stated he may be able to disable the region lock, but i don't think it will be ready for the initial release, the exploit wont stop you updating, but updating will more than likely block the exploit......so if you want to keep homebrew you will likely have to stop updating

Thanks... About updating that's what I thought too, so I guess smau hasn't confirmed one way or the other? As much as I appreciate his work I see little use in an exploit that gives you homebrew but blocks access to future 3DS exclusive games :/

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thanks... About updating that's what I thought too, so I guess smau hasn't confirmed one way or the other? As much as I appreciate his work I see little use in an exploit that gives you homebrew but blocks access to future 3DS exclusive games :/
yeah but how long has he been holding out now(although i know it want ready anyway) but basically the wait would be indefinite or at least until nintendo completely drop support for the 3DS if you never want it blocked, sometime you just got to bite the bullet and admit that the only perfect time is when its not relevant in which case its not the perfect time anyway

so basically now is as good a time as ever...in fact at least smash bros will likely be playable...its just the next big hit game that might make people twitch to update

i suppose there is always the option of getting your 3ds hardware modded so you can downgrade to use homebrew and upgrade for future games as you please

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... and as expected, the primary things being asked for are emulators (retro piracy), "Ocarina" (for cheating), mp3 player (because of course nobody has a phone or iPod in this day and age), video player (because the 3DS has such a great resolution), play coin setter (which already exists and would likely just need to be ported if kernel access isn't req'd... and this is also cheating), and an eBook reader (the only legitimately useful application among all of these). What an original community here. /s

I don't get it, are there really so many poor people here that you have a $150-$200 video game console with a weak resolution but not a decent Android phone with a 720p+ res that can run emulators much faster, with cheats and save states and local play? It's a complete waste of effort to port an application for the billionth time instead of working on something NEW that utilizes UNIQUE features of the 3DS. Also, Linux would be complete ass on the 3DS and, again, Android does that just fine.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
... and as expected, the primary things being asked for are emulators (retro piracy), "Ocarina" (for cheating), mp3 player (because of course nobody has a phone or iPod in this day and age), video player (because the 3DS has such a great resolution), play coin setter (which already exists and would likely just needed to be ported... and this is also cheating), and an eBook reader (the only legitimately useful application among all of these). What an original community here. /s

I don't get it, are there really so many poor people here that you have a $150-$200 video game console with a weak resolution but not a decent Android phone with a 720p+ res that can run emulators much faster, with cheats and save states and local play? It's a complete waste of an effort to port an application for the billionth time instead of working on something NEW that utilizes UNIQUE features of the 3DS. Also, Linux would be complete ass on the 3DS and, again, Android does that just fine.

Not everyone likes to use a cellphone for emulation, myself I enjoy games much more with physical buttons than playing on a shitty touch screen.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
... and as expected, the primary things being asked for are emulators (retro piracy), "Ocarina" (for cheating), mp3 player (because of course nobody has a phone or iPod in this day and age), video player (because the 3DS has such a great resolution), play coin setter (which already exists and would likely just need to be ported if kernel access isn't req'd... and this is also cheating), and an eBook reader (the only legitimately useful application among all of these). What an original community here. /s

I don't get it, are there really so many poor people here that you have a $150-$200 video game console with a weak resolution but not a decent Android phone with a 720p+ res that can run emulators much faster, with cheats and save states and local play? It's a complete waste of effort to port an application for the billionth time instead of working on something NEW that utilizes UNIQUE features of the 3DS. Also, Linux would be complete ass on the 3DS and, again, Android does that just fine.
i notice a lack of NEW or UNIQUE ideas here....in fact i dont see any ideas at all.....just bashing,let people play a pong port if thats what they want....thats what homebrew is all about, being able to do what you want

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't have a phone.
And I don't care for emulators either.

I want to see new, unique and interesting homebrew. (even demos are fine! not only games)
I remember the Amiga's Demoscene time, where developers could create video and sound effect in few kb!

Developers had ideas on DS, but most users only tested emulators.
It doesn't mean that only emulators exists. There will be a lot of things, just more hidden/ignored than other.
That's why I'm trying to create a wiki listing the homebrew. Provide a place to find what's released and not only popular ones.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I don't have a phone.
And I don't care for emulators either.

I want to see new, unique and interesting homebrew. (even demos are fine! not only games)
I remember the Amiga's Demoscene time, where developers could create video and sound effect in few kb!

This! Demoscene is something I enjoy since I browsed to pouet.net by a random google search :yay: Can't imagine how 3d can be exploited here :D

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
In the Homebrew Launcher Logo compo, someone posted a design with a playable game. I would love to see it on 3DS.
easy concept and looks like demoscene if you don't play it.

edit:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13594612/3ds-homebrew-channel/index.html
Port of Super hexagon (from Terry Cavanagh) to Canvas+html5. (Though this game is not freeware).

click on the game icon to launch it. use mouse click to start playing/rotate the "ship".
game/demo from BubblegumBalloon. Apparently not Terry Cavanagh (Daniel G.?)

There are other freeware games which could be good on 3DS too.

Especially Naya's quest, a solstice like, with 3D optical tricks.
Realy good game, I liked it :)

I think it will be nice on 3DS. I don't know if using the 3DS stereoscopic effect would ruin the puzzles, (maybe instead of placing the shadow, it could be replaced with stereoscopic effect), if not posible, then just porting it without 3D effect would be great. (or L = scan, R = depth/stereoscopic)

Reactions: master801

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't SSSpwn an artificially created exploit rather than one that naturally exists? It stands to reason that it's within the realm of possibility to reverse engineer another artificial exploit with kernel access.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Isn't SSSpwn an artificially created exploit rather than one that naturally exists? It stands to reason that it's within the realm of possibility to reverse engineer another artificial exploit with kernel access.
:blink:what are you even talking about....
yes its an exploit and yeah its "within the realms of possibility" there might be other exploits in the system

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Riivolution type thing. For game mods without the need for ROMs. Also ROM (contents) file dumper, for the same reason.

Basically stuff for making, playing and editing custom (and original) game content.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ROM file dumper is already possible with different PC tools and homebrew.
Listing the game's files directly on the console and extracting files directly to SD would be easier, but currently the 3DS is used to create the Xorpad, then use computer to decrypt the file using the xorpad data with original data.

Riivolution like would probably require Kernel access to redirect game's file access to SD, so I don't know if it will be possible.
At least, extracting file is possible.

Reactions: Margen67 and Hiccup

SlCKB0Y

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't get it, are there really so many poor people here that you have a $150-$200 video game console with a weak resolution but not a decent Android phone with a 720p+ res that can run emulators much faster, with cheats and save states and local play? .

I don't get it, why would anyone voluntarily run an emulator on a phone with touch only controls which absolutely suck dogs bollocks for any games which require any reaction time or precision when you can emulate on a $150 video game console which basically has perfect controls for that purpose.

See what I did there?

So come on then... Since we are such a unimaginative lot, what's your mind blowing idea for home brew?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro