Possible to play both wii and GameCube games using only the SD card?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by ddetkowski, Oct 13, 2018.

1. ddetkowski
    OP

ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    United States
    Any help would be great.
    I haven't updated my soft mod since 2012 and used to play off an external hard drive.
    Thanks in advance.

2. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Maniac

May 29, 2015
    United States
    Yes, use cfg usb loader for wii games, and use either dios mios lite or nintendont for gamecube games. They can all load from sd.

Natural likes this.
  3. ddetkowski
    OP

ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    United States
    Thanks. Keep the sd card formatted as fat32?

4. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Maniac

May 29, 2015
    United States
    Many wii games wont fit on fat32 because of its file size limit, you should probably make it ntfs but if everything fits then I *think* that should be fine. I could be wrong, i dont remember much about the recommended formats.

5. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I've never had a problem. i use the same fat32 drive for Wii, 360, and PS3 games, and only PS3 has had any individual files over 4 gigs being an issue. If you were storing them as isos or something, instead of individual files, might be different.

6. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Maniac

May 29, 2015
    United States
    Im pretty sure I did load them as isos, either that or its been so long that ive forgotten. I know originally i used the wbfs manager, but im pretty sure that after that method became obsolete i just used the game iso so it needed to be ntfs.

7. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    split .wbfs files work fine on fat32. Using .wbfs files has the benefit that it doesn't need to store the unused space as well, which is useful as sd cards are quite small.

Last edited by smf, Oct 13, 2018
    Natural likes this.
  8. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    I still use wbfs manager. It splits up files bigger the 4gb so they fit on a fat32. No need to have separate formats, fat32 is fine. I use an external HDD though.

Last edited by SG854, Oct 13, 2018
  9. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    WBFS Manager supposedly has problems with adding games to a drive that already has them. Wii Backup Manager doesn't have that issue.