Possible new entry point for vWii?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by HTV04, Nov 3, 2019.

1. HTV04
    OP

HTV04 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2019
    United States
    Assuming HBL2HBC doesn't require vWii homebrew, the vWii has the hidden EULA channel, and the str2hax exploit works correctly on the vWii, this could possibly work as another, almost no-risk entry point for installing the HBC.

The following steps assume the Homebrew Launcher for the Wii U is already installed/accessible, and HBL2HBC is installed on the SD Card.

Here's how I think it could work:
    - Set the Wii U's DNS to the str2hax DNS servers.
    - In hbl2hbc.txt add "HAKA=EULA".
    - Boot the EULA channel.
    - Open the EULA and wait for str2hax to load (EULA should look different if str2hax is working correctly). If all goes well, and the Hackmii installer works correctly and installs the HBC, this could possibly be an alternative to wuphax (with no risk due to no channels being replaced).

^I haven't tried these steps personally, this is all theoretical. But if the EULA channel still exists in the vWii and str2hax works correctly, this should work.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I am not sure the EULA channel still exists on vWii since so many other things were removed, like most of the settings menu and the WC24 channels. But it sounds plausible.

3. HTV04
    OP

HTV04 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2019
    United States
    The rest of the Wii settings do exist, but they are inaccessible by normal means. By using a Forecast/News channel stub, they can be accessed.

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  4. gemsticks

gemsticks Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2018
    United States
    It could work, we just need someone with a unhacked vwii to test it.

5. HTV04
    OP

HTV04 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2019
    United States
    Debunked for now, EULA is nowhere to be found on the vWii NAND.

6. BaamAlex

BaamAlex (*(vu64 *)0x1FF81100)

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    You restore it when you are ready with the installation. Where is the risk then? Otherwise you can re-download the mii channel with a nus downloader, rename it to wuphaxBackup.app and restore this.

7. HTV04
    OP

HTV04 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2019
    United States
    I was trying to think of the most risk-free method for installing homebrew without a disc. I've already installed homebrew, so this isn't about how I'm scared of wuphax or whatever, I think wuphax is completely fine. It was just a thought.

8. BaamAlex

BaamAlex (*(vu64 *)0x1FF81100)

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    You need a disc for installing homebrew? Did i miss something?

9. HTV04
    OP

HTV04 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2019
    United States
    No.

I meant that wuphax had a small risk where you could lose your Mii Channel. Of course you could download it, but I was just hypothesizing a way that there could be no risk.

Things like Smash Stack however don't have a risk (other than something going wrong during the HBC install process), but require a disc.

It was just a theory. I'm not butthurt about wuphax lol. Wuphax is actually really advanced.

Last edited by HTV04, Nov 9, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted