Hacking Emulation POPS on PSP/Vita - Config Research

Snowbro88

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, here is a list of PS1 games that I currently play in the core PCSX of retroarch on Vita, some I tried on my own in adrenaline and they do not work or have some serious problem and others I based on the updated compatibility list on reddit but I'm not sure if this list is 100% correct, like what happened to me with Road Rash Jailbreak, for example, I was under the impression that it didn't work on adrenaline, but if it does, or the case of Swagman where I think it had a bad dump.

Animorphs - Shattered Reality (USA)
Assault (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Attack of the Saucerman (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
B-Movie (Europe) (En,Es,It) [invasion from beyond (USA)]
Beach Volleyball (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Blast Chamber (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Bravo Air Race (USA)
Bubsy 3D - Furbitten Planet (USA)
Delta Force Urban Warfare (USA) (En,Fr,Es)
Destruction Derby 2 (Europe)
Disney Aladdin - La Venganza de Nasira (Spain)
Dreams (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Eggs of Steel - Charlie's Eggcellent Adventure (USA)
Firo & Klawd (Spain)
Formula One 2001 (Europe) (Es,It)
Formula One 99 (Europe) (En,Es,Fi)
Formula One Arcade (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Granstream Saga, The (USA)
Invasion (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl)
Iznogoud (Europe) (En,Fr,De,It,Nl)
King's Field (Japan) [T-English]
Magic Castle (Japan)
Need for Speed III - Hot Pursuit (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Sv)
Next Tetris, The (USA)
Pink Panther - Pinkadelic Pursuit (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Puzznic (USA)
ReBoot (Spain)
Red Asphalt (USA)
Saban's Power Rangers Zeo - Full Tilt Battle Pinball (USA)
Simpsons Wrestling, The (USA)
Spider - The Video Game (USA)
Steel Harbinger (USA)
Supersonic Racers (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) [Dare Devil Derby 3D (USA)]
T'ai Fu - Wrath of the Tiger (USA)
Time Commando (USA)
Titan Wars (Europe)
Treasures of the Deep (Spain)
WWF WrestleMania - The Arcade Game (USA)

The objective is to see if any of you are interested in looking for a fix with the Pop Fe configurations or with a change of region and Game ID. By the way, if any of these games work for you on adrenaline, I would appreciate it if you let me know. There are fewer non-adrenaline compatible games these days thanks to your fantastic work.

Regarding the Formula One saga of Psynosis, I once read that these games have anti-emulation protection, something that is not resolved with a patch, rather it is like a particular mechanism which is why they do not work in adrenaline, some also require a ppf patch or sbi file for libcrypt protection but what I know is that the fact that they do not work is not because of this libcrypt protection, it is because of the anti-emulation protection.

Finally, sorry for my English, I speak Spanish, I hope I don't cause problems to anyone, thank you.

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Snowbro88 Thank you so much for the list. I will take some time to look into some. Right off the bat:

- Formula One games (and Destruction Derby 2) are unfixable without some extensive PPF patch...so deemed unfixable for now
- King's Field should work as it was released officially on the Japanese store
- I have a WIP fix for Time Commando using command 0x11, just need to find the correct offset for it
- I have looked into T'ai Fu and that one is very hard to figure out. I have already tried a lot of configurations for it in the past.

Hopefully a lot of these will be easy to fix. If you do not mind, what are the issues on these games:

- Blast Chamber
- The Granstream Saga
- Magic Castle

ciarli-b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, here is a list of PS1 games that I currently play in the core PCSX of retroarch on Vita, some I tried on my own in adrenaline and they do not work or have some serious problem and others I based on the updated compatibility list on reddit but I'm not sure if this list is 100% correct, like what happened to me with Road Rash Jailbreak, for example, I was under the impression that it didn't work on adrenaline, but if it does, or the case of Swagman where I think it had a bad dump.

Bravo Air Race (USA)
Firo & Klawd (Spain)
Magic Castle (Japan)
Next Tetris, The (USA)
Puzznic (USA)
ReBoot (Spain)
Red Asphalt (USA)
Steel Harbinger (USA)
Time Commando (USA)
Titan Wars (Europe)

The objective is to see if any of you are interested in looking for a fix with the Pop Fe configurations or with a change of region and Game ID. By the way, if any of these games work for you on adrenaline, I would appreciate it if you let me know. There are fewer non-adrenaline compatible games these days thanks to your fantastic work.

Regarding the Formula One saga of Psynosis, I once read that these games have anti-emulation protection, something that is not resolved with a patch, rather it is like a particular mechanism which is why they do not work in adrenaline, some also require a ppf patch or sbi file for libcrypt protection but what I know is that the fact that they do not work is not because of this libcrypt protection, it is because of the anti-emulation protection.

Finally, sorry for my English, I speak Spanish, I hope I don't cause problems to anyone, thank you.
What problems do you have with pink panther and t'ai fu?

Reactions: The_Ho

Snowbro88

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Snowbro88 Thank you so much for the list. I will take some time to look into some. Right off the bat:

- Formula One games (and Destruction Derby 2) are unfixable without some extensive PPF patch...so deemed unfixable for now
- I have a WIP fix for Time Commando using command 0x11, just need to find the correct offset for it
- I have looked into T'ai Fu and that one is very hard to figure out. I have already tried a lot of configurations for it in the past.

Hopefully a lot of these will be easy to fix. If you do not mind, what are the issues on these games:

- Blast Chamber
- The Granstream Saga
- Magic Castle
Blast Chamber I remember that it froze at the beginning, it may be due to the European region, tomorrow I can confirm by creating an eboot based on the redump USA image.

I found The Granstream Saga on the reddit compatibility list, according to this it also freezes or crashes but I haven't really tested it on adrenaline.

Magic Castle is a Yaroze game that was finally finished and shared by its authors, it actually works but has severe slowdowns when moving the camera in large open levels, on PCSX it works full speed.

By the way, taking advantage of the occasion, for the Star Wars Phantom Menace fix I see that in addition to a config a ppf patch is necessary to resolve the graphic problems, but this patch is only available for the game in the USA region, it would be possible to suggest its author Kozarovv A patch for other regions, for example the Spanish version? If it is not possible because it is too complicated, no problem, fortunately, this game seems to work quite well in PCSX retroarch core on Vita.

@ciarli-b

Tai Fu takes about 10 minutes to load a level after the tutorial in adrenaline, the same thing happened in PCSX but I mentioned it to their dev Notaz and he fixed it for that core, he told me it was a timing issue, in PSP I once read that it worked on one of the first versions of pops

I also based Pink Panther on the updated compatibility list on reddit where it commented that it had some bugs such as passing through objects.

Here is the reference compatibility list.

Last edited by Snowbro88,

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Thinking for a way to fix the formula one games (that in europe are protected by libcrypt), yesterday I saw in retroarch that in order to make these games playable on pcsx rearmed core, it needs to activate the "instruction cache emulation" in the core option.
Is there a way to trigger this option also in the eboot configuration so that the formula one games will not stuck in the beginning?

Fórmula one, maybe cmd 0x00 or 0x11 😬
Post automatically merged:

@OPPAI_DAISUKI There must be a way for the TOCA game, I'll take a look later.

@mrjaredbeta X-Files on PSP Still works better with early disc swapping of the BD13 :unsure:
yeah its kinda sad that this one made by CodeMasters (Colin Mcrae) had some serious graphical issues when playing while TOCA 1 runs fine and the Colin Mcrae 1, 2 NTSC and PAL... i also tested some good configs to fix the speed issues as its something similar with GT2 speed problem... i hope we can find a possible fix for this game..

Reactions: Webardo and The_Ho

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hey very new too this is need helping getting some games on my vita if anyone can help that would be awesome
Use an image of your PS1 game in .bin .cue or .img .sub .ccd

Download the POP-FE program on GitHub from @ronniesahlberg, run pop-fe-psp.exe and select the .cue or .ccd file from your image.

A folder will be created with your game ID and an EBOOT.PBP file inside.

Move this folder to PSP > GAME.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

Bravo Air Race (USA)
Firo & Klawd (Spain)
Magic Castle (Japan)
Next Tetris, The (USA)
Puzznic (USA)
ReBoot (Spain)
Red Asphalt (USA)
Steel Harbinger (USA)
Time Commando (USA)
Titan Wars (Europe)

i have Granstream Saga on my PSP it plays fine on me so far... im currently back at the city after rescuing the violet haired girl and now my save is the dungeon below the Hero's house...i forgot the exact name of chapter/quest...

NFS Hot Pursuit BGM dont play while playing the game which is kinda sad and still finding out what is the solution.. even though the game runs smoothly...sigh :cry:

Last edited by OPPAI_DAISUKI,

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Next Tetris, The (USA)
The Next Tetris PAL or JP release do work fine if you make your eboot with pop-fe. The graphic glitches don't show up with any converter with these, but the game can crash with cdda_enabler if not using AT3 as pop-fe does.
Post automatically merged:

yeah its kinda sad that this one made by CodeMasters (Colin Mcrae) had some serious graphical issues when playing while TOCA 1 runs fine and the Colin Mcrae 1, 2 NTSC and PAL... i also tested some good configs to fix the speed issues as its something similar with GT2 speed problem... i hope we can find a possible fix for this game..
Toca 2 is an odd one. Must be because of the way it flushes code and constantly changes operands for geometry functions. I think I tried with command 0x00 and all it did was the make the game really slow, maybe there's another way.

Last edited by Webardo,

Snowbro88

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Webardo

About Next Tetris, in principle I converted the EUR version with Pop Fe and the game freezes, the US version works but with graphical glitches.

I am trying to play it on PS Vita through ecfw adrenaline and what I know is that the CDDA enabler plugin is not necessary here, The Flow gave a standard solution for adrenaline where the audio tracks are read directly without the need for the plugin CDDA, perhaps it is based on that plugin, it is not entirely known.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll try it with the JP version. If it doesn't work, maybe it's because CDDA enabler is included by default in adrenaline and of course it can't be disabled. It would be another case where PSP has an advantage over PS Vita.

Reactions: The_Ho and Webardo

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@Webardo

About Next Tetris, in principle I converted the EUR version with Pop Fe and the game freezes, the US version works but with graphical glitches.

I am trying to play it on PS Vita through ecfw adrenaline and what I know is that the CDDA enabler plugin is not necessary here, The Flow gave a standard solution for adrenaline where the audio tracks are read directly without the need for the plugin CDDA, perhaps it is based on that plugin, it is not entirely known.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll try it with the JP version. If it doesn't work, maybe it's because CDDA enabler is included by default in adrenaline and of course it can't be disabled. It would be another case where PSP has an advantage over PS Vita.
Yeah, must be because of Vita's CDDA enabler, because Next Tetris PAL works fine on my PSP. I think that it's because Adrenaline patches the same branch for that as does bit 13 of command -1, which can lead to some issues in a few games.

Maybe making a config with everything disabled would nullify Adrenaline's config.

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ronniesahlberg It looks like Magic Castle (any version) is not convertable currently:
Code:
Need to create a temporary cue/bin pop-fe-psp-work/TMPCUEd1.cue pop-fe-psp-work/TMPIMGd1.bin
MD5 fingerprint a51941d8dcda81bd7d0ef11c7fd20d6f
Failed to read game id. Falling back to raw read
ID MAGICCAST
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tkinter\__init__.py", line 1892, in __call__
  File "pop-fe-psp.py", line 379, in on_path_changed
  File "pop-fe-psp.py", line 206, in update_assets
  File "pop-fe.py", line 214, in get_game_from_gamelist
KeyError: 'MAGICCAST'

EDIT: As well as Delta Force: Urban Warfare (SLUS-01429).

Last edited by mrjaredbeta,
Reactions: Webardo and The_Ho

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@ronniesahlberg It looks like Magic Castle (any version) is not convertable currently:
Code:
Need to create a temporary cue/bin pop-fe-psp-work/TMPCUEd1.cue pop-fe-psp-work/TMPIMGd1.bin
MD5 fingerprint a51941d8dcda81bd7d0ef11c7fd20d6f
Failed to read game id. Falling back to raw read
ID MAGICCAST
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tkinter\__init__.py", line 1892, in __call__
  File "pop-fe-psp.py", line 379, in on_path_changed
  File "pop-fe-psp.py", line 206, in update_assets
  File "pop-fe.py", line 214, in get_game_from_gamelist
KeyError: 'MAGICCAST'
It's an unofficial game, made by third parties, or rather "fourths" haha, on NetYaroze.

Enter that famous question equivalent to Hacks games. the game ID is as MAGICCAST.

Try assigning an existing ID in the pop-fe BD to the game, and maybe it will be accepted, change the names, images, etc.

=====================
I played about 30 minutes of Next Tetris PAL but converted with PSX2PSP to test the failure, I used CddaEnabler, I didn't experience a crash, how did the failure occur?

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@mrjaredbeta
I converted Magic Castle with Pop-fe exactly like this:
Well, it worked and as I haven't played this game before, I don't know if the speed is normal, but it seems so.

Sector: 16

MAGICCAS.png

EDIT: Do the same with Delta Force using SLUS01429

Last edited by The_Ho,

Snowbro88

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Today I did not have time to do the necessary tests but I am sure that The Next Tetris PAL converted with the version of Pop Fe from about 2 months ago when selecting game mode it went black, some base images are from various sites that I have for a long time, from now on any conversion will be based on redump images, but I am almost sure that in the case of Next Tetris PAL I will use the PAL redump image.

When Magic Castle was shared by its authors I converted it with PSX2PSP and I could notice severe slowdowns when the randomly generated levels were larger and more open, when playing it on the PCSX core you could clearly see the difference. I will convert it again with the latest version of Pop Fe to see what results I get, by the way this is a pretty good game from my point of view that I recommend.

Sorry guys if I have reported some games that in fact work normally on PSP and adrenaline, as I told you before, in some cases it may be an old bad dump that I had and in others what I read on the reddit compatibility list, thanks anyway for your interest.

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Today I did not have time to do the necessary tests but I am sure that The Next Tetris PAL converted with the version of Pop Fe from about 2 months ago when selecting game mode it went black, some base images are from various sites that I have for a long time, from now on any conversion will be based on redump images, but I am almost sure that in the case of Next Tetris PAL I will use the PAL redump image.

When Magic Castle was shared by its authors I converted it with PSX2PSP and I could notice severe slowdowns when the randomly generated levels were larger and more open, when playing it on the PCSX core you could clearly see the difference. I will convert it again with the latest version of Pop Fe to see what results I get, by the way this is a pretty good game from my point of view that I recommend.

Sorry guys if I have reported some games that in fact work normally on PSP and adrenaline, as I told you before, in some cases it may be an old bad dump that I had and in others what I read on the reddit compatibility list, thanks anyway for your interest.
There's no problem, friend :D.

But when informing the games, if you can inform how to generate the problem or where it occurs, it makes it much easier for us to try to improve.

I still haven't been able to lock Next Tetris PAL with PSX2PSP in CDDAEnabler, I played some more time in the Next Tetris option.

Does the game crash completely or is it the music that crashes? As I've never played the game before, the music seemed like a rather boring loop to me, or it must be like that.

===============================
This problem in pop-fe of sometimes not finding the ID even though it is inside the DB, seems to me to be something wrong in search, perhaps in commands like if/then/else(??)

Although most IDs are in Sector 23, they can also be found in 22, 16, 33, and some games even in the last sector.

Maybe it would be a good move if it were possible to implement an ID search by game name like the PSX2PSP has.

For example, the game Dragon Warrior VII appears wrong on PSX2PSP, the error is very obvious. Then just click the button to search for the game and the ID boxes are corrected.

Perhaps the biggest challenge is implementing this with all the automation that pop-fe has for placing covers, etc. with access to websites.

Last edited by The_Ho,

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
According to @wad11656's spreadsheet, it crashes when saving when using the english patch. So that must be the issue. I wonder why it'd do that though...

TOCA 2 at the very least needs command -1 bit 4 to improve the frame rate out of the gate, and will probably need command 0x0D to fix the graphical glitch while keeping a playable speed.
I only played a bit last month, and the graphics were fine for the most part, except for the mirror in the cockpit view, which looked as if retained every prior frame upon itself.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
According to @wad11656's spreadsheet, it crashes when saving when using the english patch. So that must be the issue. I wonder why it'd do that though...

I only played a bit last month, and the graphics were fine for the most part, except for the mirror in the cockpit view, which looked as if retained every prior frame upon itself.
while in cockpit view it plays fine but when you change camera the glitching graphics above turns black because of the cockpits black/dark angle its like it was copied to that...i tried using setregion even using SLPS1222 but didnt help either...now im curious about mrjaredbeta said on 0x0D... because Chrono Cross and PE 2 had a full 8 (FF FF FF FF) command code...in speed i tested sir @The_Ho GT2 03 00 00 00 and F3 config and it plays fine so far...

Reactions: The_Ho

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice