Hardware Poll: What is the Switch to you?

How do you view the Switch? As a:

• Handheld console with some home console features

Votes: 147 47.9%
  • Home console with (limited) portability

Votes: 71 23.1%
  • Banana

Votes: 89 29.0%

• Total voters

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A UK retailer (GameSeek) though somewhat questionable has the Switch (Basic Pack, I assume) for £198.50 which rounded up to US$ is $250 and in CND$ is $330. I'd say the rumours might very well be true about Switch's price. But about the Canadian price.. exchange currency aside, it'll probably be $250 or so. $330 is too much.

Hopefully it'll be $250 .

Reactions: Coltonamore

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
I would like to hear your thoughts.
Switch is whatever you want it to be. I don't think Nintendo will be pushing one way or the other. They will emphasize both. If they are smart they will be pushing the portable multiplayer angle as much as they can get away with though (and they are doing exactly this). Why? Because their (home console) competitors don't have it, so it's their main selling point. With Microsoft not making any dedicated portable gaming device & the Sony Playstation Vita dead, Nintendo can roam freely in this space (if you don't count mobile tablets & phones). So that has to please them.

Personally, I can't see the Switch being very popular on the train or bus. Another room in the house? Sure. A a friend's house? Sure. In the car? Great. I just can't see this catching on with the masses on public transport. Size, shape, weight and hassle factor all playing their part. Though I'm sure Nintendo knows that in some countries portable gaming is more popular than others.

Nintendo can brag about only needing to buy one game for home & portable. Nintendo don't have to include a Blu-Ray drive in their unit. But they have to front up for cartridges, assuming people still buy physical copies.

Price. Games. Reliability of the hardware. All up in the air at this point.

Last edited by foob,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a great idea, in my opinion. I like playing on the go. I spent a month abroad and all I played was Dragon Quest VII on 3DS, kept me well entertained for over 40 hours. Spending two months abroad next year and the Switch surely will come with me.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I voted home console, since I believe it's going to have home console-quality games rather than the watered down experience portable games often give. At least if Breath of the Wild is anything to go by. You just wouldn't get games like that on a conventional handheld.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For me, it is the next charity project Nintendo will get my money for.
I never expect them to deliver, but hey I like surprises.

Also, I prefer my charity projects portable, and that is what it is to me.

PS: The appeal for me is that it may bring Nintendo home console quality games in a handheld, and that last part is quite important for it being appealing to me. Also I hope they bring Project Diva*, many JRPGs, some VNs, specially Steins;Gate 0, and some other Japanese stuff that I'm not willing to get a SONY product for (daydreaming AFAIK).

* But considering there is Project Mirai DX on the 3DS and it is fucking great, probably we get a very improved one on the switch. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: Coltonamore

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
handheld console with some home console features.

i really hope that it does well, i dont have high expectations of it.
i am afraid that it wont be as powerful, but there is something about it that i really love alot.

i think it is the screen ,the portable screen looks gorgeous. (but in the jimmy fallon show it looked weird on some lighting and not so HD'ish)
my only worry is the screen not looking so crisp in real life.

so i hope that the screen will look HD.

plus i think it looks very sleek , i am looking forward to the news they will reveal in january and again i HOPE it will be more powerful than we all think..

i love Nintendo.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
i think it is the screen ,the portable screen looks gorgeous. (but in the jimmy fallon show it looked weird on some lighting and not so HD'ish)
my only worry is the screen not looking so crisp in real life.
Apparently a 720p 6.8 inch screen if I remember correctly (and if that info is accurate). I think it's doubtful it will do well under bright sun (or studio lights, for that matter), just like 99.99% of other screens being made now.

Coltonamore

Time to stop Tron Bonne!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
To me, its a handheld that's marketed as a home console. I'm actually pretty hyped for it, although it will depend on the games that are available at launch to really determine if I want to get it at launch or not. The hardware is obviously better then the Wii U. So I don't really see it as a Wii U other then its own thing. The portable aspect of it is awesome, and the fact you can hook it up to a TV is a plus.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted home console, since I believe it's going to have home console-quality games rather than the watered down experience portable games often give. At least if Breath of the Wild is anything to go by. You just wouldn't get games like that on a conventional handheld.
Ideally we will get a mixture of games that are mainly made for handhelds and consoles games. Not every dev wants or can make a $60 game. I don't want to lose games like Bravely Default, just because we might get FF15.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1