Hardware Poll: What is the Switch to you?

How do you view the Switch? As a:

• Handheld console with some home console features

Votes: 147 47.9%
  • Home console with (limited) portability

Votes: 71 23.1%
  • Banana

Votes: 89 29.0%

• Total voters

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, gaming companies, UBISOFT, have been showing off great games, then downgrade and shit games over on release. And its not only me noticing this, if you are a 9gag fan you will see dozens of different posts on the hot page of people asking other people to stop pre-ordering games. Gaming companies will have to change, I know gamers have started to (At least some).

I am really hyped for the Switch, incredibly hyped. New architecture (pascal was it?), 4GB of Ram will be just fine, custom tegra chip, on a handheld. Battery will probably be around 3-4 hours, but you will be able to charge on the go. (Look at the Switch release video, when the guy sits down on the airport floor, you can see the cable plugged in under the switch). People complaining about battery, if I can carry my charger, I'll be just fine :). :switch: <=== Awesome icon btw.

I was talking about firmware downgrades not graphical downgrades but your right the Nintendo Switch will definitely be a success like the Wii.Want to be friends bro extends out hand :)

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only gripe is the screen in portable mode, as it looks way more sensitive than the gamepad, and I'd break the glass or lcd when inside a bag in like a week.
It's like a phone that you can't really store in your pocket for safety.
That sounds like a personal problem rather than a problem with the device. The device does not belong, or fit, in pockets at all. In a bag it will obviously need a case or cushioned sleeve.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I was talking about firmware downgrades not graphical downgrades but your right the Nintendo Switch will definitely be a success like the Wii.Want to be friends bro extends out hand :)
lol. Nintendo thought the WiiU would be a success like the Wii was and they couldn't be more wrong.

I might pick up a NS at launch but it depends on its price and the games there'll be available. Not really interested in re-buying WiiU games I already have.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me it's a console that's designed to be for home first and can be taken on the go for a limited time if you so desire. It would seem as though it's optimized power-wise when it's docked

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banana.
What it is design as and how you use it, is two different things.

3DS had limit battery life and the XL and Vita are big, like even phones got bigger, so that isn't enough for me to say this isn't a portable. I'm putting the Switch in my pockets with the controllers in the other pockets, if I need too. Yet, Switch is strong enough to get console games and not just console-like games. Also, unlike tablets, it can have physical games.

It is design from the get go to easily switch between portable and home play with one device. So it is both, period. There's no reason why this console can't game games more design to play at home and games more design to play on the go. In fact, it is already heading there.

I still used the TV, but for most games and apps I use the gamepad only more and I still use my 3ds, so I'm probably going to do the same with the Switch.

It almost certainly does not, at least for use in games, as neither of the controllers used when it's in console mode integrate touch. If it did have touch, it could only be usable in portable mode.
It is already rumor there's away to emulate touch while it is dock. Not to mention, they can design games to have optional touch in them. So losing touch on console mode, doesn't mean no touch in portable mode in games.

Last edited by KingVamp,

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thinking about Nintendo & Nvidia made me realize something else. Nintendo could have added support for external graphics card upgrades similar to pc but they would have to be tailored to this awesome hybrid for 4k.

Reactions: Coltonamore

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Banana.
What it is design as and how you use it, is two different things.
My point exactly. The Switch is designed to be both, but how it's going to be used depends on the users and/or developers.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I literally just did.
I'll probably get it at the end of its life, just like I do with the Wii U.
"Is the Switch a home console or a portable console?"
"I'll probably get it at the end of its life, just like I do with the Wii U."
Doesn't answer the question.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
"Is the Switch a home console or a portable console?"
"I'll probably get it at the end of its life, just like I do with the Wii U."
Doesn't answer the question.

It's a least interesting gaming device that I probably end up using as a console anyway.
It's made from the company that fucked up with the Wii U and fucked up the 3DS's first year.

I don't know if I can be any clearer then that other then saying "The switch is a horrible handheldconsole thing"

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol. Nintendo thought the WiiU would be a success like the Wii was and they couldn't be more wrong.

I might pick up a NS at launch but it depends on its price and the games there'll be available. Not really interested in re-buying WiiU games I already have.

I second that BOW at launch would really be nice.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really a game Nintendo can't skip having available on launch. I'll be getting it for the WiiU but most people will definitely own the Switch version instead or.. maybe I'll buy it for the Switch and keep the WiiU copy sealed. Time will tell.

I'm definitely buying the WiiU version to keep me entertained until I get the Nintendo Switch & switch version of the game.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I'm definitely buying the WiiU version to keep me entertained until I get the Nintendo Switch & switch version of the game.
A UK retailer (GameSeek) though somewhat questionable has the Switch (Basic Pack, I assume) for £198.50 which rounded up to US$ is $250 and in CND$ is $330. I'd say the rumours might very well be true about Switch's price. But about the Canadian price.. exchange currency aside, it'll probably be $250 or so. $330 is too much.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A UK retailer (GameSeek) though somewhat questionable has the Switch (Basic Pack, I assume) for £198.50 which rounded up to US$ is $250 and in CND$ is $330. I'd say the rumours might very well be true about Switch's price. But about the Canadian price.. exchange currency aside, it'll probably be $250 or so. $330 is too much.
Probs will be an even $300CAD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."