Hacking [Poll] Bans and "send information about the console to Nintendo"

Were you banned, and did you have this option enabled?

• I have it enabled and was banned

Votes: 328 32.1%
  • I have it enabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 359 35.2%
  • I have it disabled and was banned

Votes: 53 5.2%
  • I have it disabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 281 27.5%

• Total voters

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
never played any out-of-region games, in fact, i hadn't even touched my 3DS for a week, it got banned also.

no big deal for me, since i never play online, but now i'm wondering if it's specifically because i have freeshop installed. that would make far more sense, an app that enables piracy being targeted
My idea is that they've been tracking the spotpass data + friends list played titles for a while (maybe a month or two?), and are going to ban people in waves

Reactions: Noroxus and traaash

LinkBlaBla

This is Perfect!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thought I'd make a poll about this option specifically because I think it might have some merit, after asking on an Italian group.
The option is located in system settings -> internet settings -> spotpass, and it gets automatically turned on when you accept the internet terms (which happens before playing a game online, or accessing eshop, or on initial setup).
Obviously, if you had it enabled recently but you turned it off now, and you get banned, you might be flagged thus it counts as "have it enabled" for the poll.
Please check the option before voting, even if you're sure about it!
Just to be sure can you add the option for Custom VC inject , when you start it for first time a message appear that you can send information about gameplay , so in theory it could mean nintendo received gameplay for non legit Vc game , well that my 2 cent but should be added as an option on your poll!

Arck

Trophies
XP
Country
People have been playing out of region games for a few years now.. So, that doesn't answer the question. What does removing region lock have to do with it? Also, Sony has been banning CFW users for quite some time now... That's not even relevant..
Software modification, I guess Nintendo don't want to be kind with that anymore

Jonas43

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don´t know what I should do I played this morning Mario Kart 7 Online (Legit) but I have Luma 7.0 with Arm9loaderhax installed and wasn´t banned should I test it or not

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have been playing out of region games for a few years now.. So, that doesn't answer the question. What does removing region lock have to do with it? Also, Sony has been banning CFW users for quite some time now... That's not even relevant..
I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't matter what you use CFW for. By installing CFW you break the ToS to use the Nintendo Network, and Nintendo will ban you for this reason alone.

Reactions: Arck

Arck

Trophies
XP
Country
My idea is that they've been tracking the spotpass data + friends list played titles for a while (maybe a month or two?), and are going to ban people in waves
I used homebrew while online with a favorite title as an homebrew, I have this spotpass option enabled and didn't got banned, but my sister 3ds got banned and she didn't used it for a month now, just installed B9 thing on it but that all.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you play out of region games it needs to somehow get sent to them (and we're back to the two possibilities I mentioned).
Since there are numerous ways Nintendo can be aware of your region without ticking the "share information" setting, I assume merely connecting to online play with an out-of-region game is as dangerous as using Pokemon Sun/Moon online before the release date. In the latter case, they only needed two things:
  • The fact that you're online with that game
  • Whether or not you connected before the release date
In the case of out-of-region games, it's similar. All they need are:
  • Your region
One's region might already be associated with one's Friend Code, etc. and stored server-side. Back in the Wii days, I remember there being evidence that Friend Codes were already grouped by region.
ctr-httpwn is unlikely, I can't see how they would detect something like that.
Hypothetically, I could possibly see there being a mismatch between what Nintendo thinks your system version is (perhaps from an attempt to access the internet browser on an outdated system version) and what ctr-httpwn reports. I think this is unlikely, but if I were Nintendo, it's an option I would explore.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Noroxus

piterayo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Banned with this option enabled, also i've played recently an out of region game. But i've used the 3DS less than an hour in the last month.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Since there are numerous ways Nintendo can be aware of your region without ticking the "share information" setting, I assume merely connecting to online play with an out-of-region game is as dangerous as using Pokemon Sun/Moon online before the release date. In the latter case, they only needed two things:
  • Whether or not you connected before the release date
In the case of out-of-region games, it's similar. All they need are:
  • Your region
One's region might already be associated with one's Friend Code, etc. and stored server-side. Back in the Wii days, I remember there being evidence that Friend Codes were already grouped by region.

Hypothetically, I could possibly see there being a mismatch between what Nintendo thinks your system version is (perhaps from an attempt to access the internet browser on an outdated system version) and what ctr-httpwn reports. I think this is unlikely, but if I were Nintendo, it's an option I would explore.
Yes, if you connect to the online services with an out of region game it's likely, but not by playing them offline.
I think it's way easier for them to just track the spotpass info + friends list played titles (after all, they are sent every titleid of the titles you launch with the latter; this is confirmed because if you have an homebrew title, friends won't see it if you set it as your favorite, just a question mark iirc).

Reactions: Noroxus and Lacius

dinoson631

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got banned this time around. I had Spotpass sharing turned on as I answered in the poll. No spare 3DS systems lying around to unban with but I'll live as I don't play online very often anyway.

do you need the exact same 3ds model to do this? For example only n3dsxl works with n3dsxl
or can i do 3ds xl with 2ds?

TribstyAnn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been a lurker here for a while, and this is what finally got me to create an account so I can post here.

My 3ds was banned. I honestly don't know what for except for that spotpass setting. I did recently update to Boot9strap if that has anything to do with it. I don't really use online much at all, but randomly decided to play Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and look for wandering adventurers from online. That's when I found out I was banned. I then came here and saw all of the threads about it.

I do also leave it in sleep mode often. I play if for a couple minutes while waiting for something and then pop the lid closed and stick it in my pocket for a while.

I have 2 questions.
1.) How long does it take to get unbanned or is it permanent. Will it get unbanned after a certain amount of time has passed? If so I may just wait it out instead of trying to get unbanned.
2.) Is this connected to you NNID and will it effect a Switch connected to the same NNID. I want to get a Switch very soon, and will link it to my NNID. I plan to do everything legit on it, not getting homebrew or cfw on it for a long time. (Especially since it hasn't been released very much yet.) Will this also ban my Switch if linked?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My question is what the "hide titles" setting in the friends list does. Does it hide them from your friends, or does it also block them from being sent to Nintendo's servers at all?

Yes, if you connect to the online services with an out of region game it's likely, but not by playing them offline.
I agree completely, which is why I noted that they had to be played online.

Karuley

Trophies
XP
Country
do you need the exact same 3ds model to do this? For example only n3dsxl works with n3dsxl
or can i do 3ds xl with 2ds?

You get a clean Local Friend Code Seed B, which can only be extracted from a 3ds which already has cfw, and then inject the clean lfcs b into the banned console, no, system version does not matter for this

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's way easier for them to just track the spotpass info + friends list played titles (after all, they are sent every titleid of the titles you launch with the latter; this is confirmed because if you have an homebrew title, friends won't see it if you set it as your favorite, just a question mark iirc).
If they both have FBI installed, for example, it will show FBI as the favorite/currently playing title.

Last edited by mikagami,

shelby--san

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been a lurker here for a while, and this is what finally got me to create an account so I can post here.

My 3ds was banned. I honestly don't know what for except for that spotpass setting. I did recently update to Boot9strap if that has anything to do with it. I don't really use online much at all, but randomly decided to play Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and look for wandering adventurers from online. That's when I found out I was banned. I then came here and saw all of the threads about it.

I do also leave it in sleep mode often. I play if for a couple minutes while waiting for something and then pop the lid closed and stick it in my pocket for a while.

I have 2 questions.
1.) How long does it take to get unbanned or is it permanent. Will it get unbanned after a certain amount of time has passed? If so I may just wait it out instead of trying to get unbanned.
2.) Is this connected to you NNID and will it effect a Switch connected to the same NNID. I want to get a Switch very soon, and will link it to my NNID. I plan to do everything legit on it, not getting homebrew or cfw on it for a long time. (Especially since it hasn't been released very much yet.) Will this also ban my Switch if linked?

1. It's pretty much confirmed to be a permanent ban. Someone called Nintendo, and got told it's perma.
2. No, it's not an NNID ban, so your Wii U and / or Switch should be fine.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably permanent. You should wait for the dust to settle, and then you can try an unban method.
If history is any indication, your NNID and Switch will likely be unaffected. For example, NNID bans on the 3DS during the Pokemon Sun/Moon incident didn't actually ban the NNID (just NNID use on the banned 3DS console), and they didn't affect those same NNID accounts on the Wii U. This also doesn't appear to be an NNID ban of any kind this time.

Last edited by Lacius,

Fougeta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I had it enabled(my option was based on that), disabled before entering online with my Pokémon Sun downloaded via cia and not banned for now.

I have my N3DS since January and installed a9lh just a few days after acquiring it(now i am at b9s). I'm on 11.4 with Luma CFW 7.1 and have things like freeshop, BootNTR, FTPD, JKSV and patch for games all installed at my console.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If they both have FBI installed, for example, it will show FBI as the favorite/currently playing title.
But if only the one who sets it as favorite has it, it'll be a question mark or something like that. So the 3DS does something like: get titleid from server -> if it has it installed, it shows the icon, else it gets the icon for the title from the servers. This means that the title id is actually sent to the servers.

Reactions: Noroxus and Lacius

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye