Hacking [Poll] Bans and "send information about the console to Nintendo"

Were you banned, and did you have this option enabled?

• I have it enabled and was banned

Votes: 328 32.1%
  • I have it enabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 359 35.2%
  • I have it disabled and was banned

Votes: 53 5.2%
  • I have it disabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 281 27.5%

• Total voters

Karuley

Trophies
XP
Country
well tbh most games don't rely heavily on internet connectivity, other than you know, pokemon, MH, mario kart, smash bros, etc, those types of games where it's only fun to play with alot of people, rip to all the facebook pokemon groups you will be missed

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine was disabled, for a long time, at least since the dawn of 11.4, acknowledging the possibility that the settings revert to default when updating firmware. I still got banned.
As I've said numerous times in this thread and others, I don't think the "share information" setting is the only way they're dishing out bans. I think Nintendo has been working hard on multiple methods of discerning CFW consoles from OFW ones. The "share information" setting is just one we've narrowed down from polling data.

Reactions: RustInPeace

Arck

Trophies
XP
Country
It's too early to say RIP CFW.
  1. CFW is great regardless of the ability to play online.
  2. 3DS online play is probably going to end for everybody within the next couple of years due to age.
  3. Once we've figured out what's causing the ban, unban methods and ban-prevention methods are likely to sprout up.
You know even after you did change your localfriend (or whatever the name of the file) it won't remove you from the blacklist of people that use cfw.
I'll never say it too much, but when you use an app while online Nintendo is informed of the title you are using.

And I don't think Luma will have any ban bypass.
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/pull/286#issuecomment-261672386

Oh nooo, now cfw is the target we'll need to do something that was against what we said :(

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I've said numerous times in this thread and others, I don't think the "share information" setting is the only way they're dishing out bans. I think Nintendo has been working hard on multiple methods of discerning CFW consoles from OFW ones. The "share information" setting is just one we've narrowed down from polling data.
I agree. Im starting to think its a mix of spotpass, playing games early and playing games out of your region. Theres most likely more, but those seem to be the most logical ones.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's also possible that they keep logs of the information (depending on what they use it for), and so people who ever had it enabled + installed homebrew titles were banned.
Another cause might be the friends list, since if you show your currently played game to your friends it needs to be sent to Nintendo (or if you stupidly set a HB title as favorite)

Last edited by Aurora Wright,
Reactions: Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree. Im starting to think its a mix of spotpass, playing games early and playing games out of your region. Theres most likely more, but those seem to be the most logical ones.
Here are other ways I would try to ban CFW users if I were Nintendo, aside from the "share information" setting and old banning methods they've used in the past:
  • Hacked titles on the Friends List
  • ctr-httpwn
  • Out-of-region games played online
In the A9LH days, I would have also pushed a system update that wrote an arm9loaderhax.bin file to the SD card on everybody's 3DS. On an OFW 3DS, it would do nothing. On an A9LH 3DS, it would run instead of Luma3DS (since Luma3DS would be overwritten), and its only purpose would be to overwrite A9LH and restore the user to OFW.

Last edited by Lacius,

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's also related to the "currently playing" information transmitted via the friend list. They're probably using machine learning to identify what a CFW user looks like, which would explain why there's not 100% consistency.

Reactions: Arck

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's also related to the "currently playing" information transmitted via the friend list. They're probably using machine learning to identify what a CFW user looks like, which would explain why there's not 100% consistency.
Yeah, I listed that as one of the methods I would use if I were Nintendo. That information is going through their servers, so I don't know why they wouldn't use this method.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not necessarily, @pixelmasher I believe had that friends list setting turned off and got banned. I thought it played a part because mine was on at the time of banning (thought it was turned off).

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here are other ways I would try to ban CFW users if I were Nintendo, aside from the "share information" setting and old banning methods they've used in the past:
  • Hacked titles on the Friends List
  • ctr-httpwn
  • Out-of-region games played online
In the A9LH days, I would have also pushed a system update that wrote an arm9loaderhax.bin file to the SD card on everybody's 3DS. On an OFW 3DS, it would do nothing. On an A9LH 3DS, it would run instead of Luma3DS (since Luma3DS would be overwritten), and its only purpose would be to overwrite A9LH and restore the user to OFW.
if you play out of region games it needs to somehow get sent to them (and we're back to the two possibilities I mentioned).
ctr-httpwn is unlikely, I can't see how they would detect something like that.
The latter is likely and even already happened before (with hyrule warriors iirc).

Last edited by Aurora Wright,

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I only disabled it after reading this thread. But otherwise I had it enabled, I tested in-game and I can go online. I didn't test it but I'm assuming this ban doesn't affect eshop.

Also is it possible that the ban only occurs when you try to connect online in an out of region game? I'm not gonna test that theory but the game I tested was from my own region with dlc and was installed from freeshop.

Last edited by Rasa39,

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily, @pixelmasher I believe had that friends list setting turned off and got banned. I thought it played a part because mine was on at the time of banning (thought it was turned off).
Like I said, they're probably using machine learning to identify certain flags and traits in CFW users, so I doubt there's going to be a consistent variable in the bans.

BrendanBeckmann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got banned this time around. I had Spotpass sharing turned on as I answered in the poll. No spare 3DS systems lying around to unban with but I'll live as I don't play online very often anyway.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
What I'm wondering is why playing out of region games would warrant any type of ban.. And why they'd choose NOW to act on that? That doesn't make ANY sense to me. Also, they're embracing region free again, so why ban 3ds owners who play out of region games? No logic there.

saijm4444

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I have spotpass disabled, had it disabled since the time I bought the 3ds. I can see my friends online, my NNID is fine and is accessible. Not banned yet I think.

Arck

Trophies
XP
Country
What I'm wondering is why playing out of region games would warrant any type of ban.. And why they'd choose NOW to act on that? That doesn't make ANY sense to me. Also, they're embracing region free again, so why ban 3ds owners who play out of region games? No logic there.
they banned people that was playing a Zelda demo game, it was supposed to be a jap game only but those who had cfw to play it on EUR/USA console got banned.

Like Sony, they ban cfw users now.

Last edited by Arck,

traaash

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
never played any out-of-region games, in fact, i hadn't even touched my 3DS for a week, it got banned also.

no big deal for me, since i never play online, but now i'm wondering if it's specifically because i have freeshop installed. that would make far more sense, an app that enables piracy being targeted

Reactions: Kioku and Arck

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
they banned people that was playing a Zelda demo game, it was supposed to be a jap game only but those who had cfw to play it on EUR/USA got banned.

Like Sony, they ban cfw users now.

People have been playing out of region games for a few years now.. So, that doesn't answer the question. What does removing region lock have to do with it? Also, Sony has been banning CFW users for quite some time now... That's not even relevant..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs