• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

For whom will/would you vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The idea behind term limits (among other things beyond the scope of this conversation) is to require lawmakers to live under the same laws they impose. It is a beautiful concept, I wish I could get you on board.

Secondly, the idea that "lawmaking" is some esoteric line of work, that the population could just not handle is just a lie. It's a lie the populace has bought for well over a thousand years, and the lie has kept a history of kings, dictators, parliaments in power to the detriment of that very populace.
Your mistake here is that you have really granted to much credit to any congress, as if it is made up with a series of ultra-intelligent individuals who are philosophers and hard-working at heart. The best and the brightest among us.
In reality, we have a series of individuals that spend 90% of their 'job' self-promoting, accruing bloated administrations, mastering hand-shakes with the lobbyists, expensive dinners for fundraising events, all while most of them struggle to empathize with the very public they are supposed to represent. It's a shame you endow these people with so much credit and admiration! It's a shame you believe that you or I or anyone could not comprehend how to say 'yay or nay' as it relates to a law and how it will impact our lives! It's a shame!

We must treat government as a public service not a career!
Lawmaking is fundamentally different from exercising executive power like signing bills into law. Also, despite what some Republicans might argue, lawmakers are subject to the law. Nobody is above the law.

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Liberal Media run polls are polling Liberals so of course Biden is showing an advantage. The entire media complex is almost all left wing so that explains that. If the non-Internet posting people who have jobs and value life all show up the results could be very different. Let's hope so as if Biden wins he's going to move us closer to the end times.
Another derpy conspiracy theory.

Care to explain the results from pollsters that aren't liberal?

Fox News has Biden up +9.5 points across their 2 most recent polls. The right leaning The Wallstreet Journal has Biden up +14. What about politically neutral organizations such as Pew Research, who has Biden up +10? Or the politically neutral Morning Consult, which has Biden up +8?

What about the most accurate pollsters over the past four years?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-pollsters-to-trust-in-2018/

Quinnipiac University has Biden at +10.
Yougov has Biden at +8.
SurveyUSA has Biden at +10.
Rasmussen, Trump's favorite pollster, has Biden at +12.

Trump's tweeted in support of Rasmussen over 20 times, including this tweet where he confirms the pollster's accuracy:

:rofl2:

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
ah yes he must of joking just like how he asked if you could inject lysol into the body and that was a joke. What is the count of people he claims he doesn't know but hired, again in the white house? And how many of them have either been arrested or fired?

Again context. He asked the doctor that was with him on stage, if that was a posibility, because it was discussed before. Offcourse, media jumped on it and twisted the words in a way that he recommended people injecting themselves with bleach.

If you want to argue your point of view, please get some decend well researched points. Right now, you come of very uninformed.

But in the end, it doesn't matter. You have your view, I have mine, and neither will change. All I can advice anyone, is to have a critical mind and research things you hear.

Reactions: gregory-samba

0x3000027E

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
despite what some Republicans might argue
Republicans? I'm not quite sure how that fits into our discussion, you've lost me there.
lawmakers are subject to the law
This is our fundamental disagreement then. I have plenty of examples of how it is violated, but I'm sure you will be able to conjure up some examples on your own if you give it some thought. Adieu!

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Republicans? I'm not quite sure how that fits into our discussion, you've lost me there.

This is our fundamental disagreement then. I have plenty of examples of how it is violated, but I'm sure you will be able to conjure up some examples on your own if you give it some thought. Adieu!
How are lawmakers above the law?

Reactions: IncredulousP

0x3000027E

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are lawmakers above the law?
Enough that it warranted much discussion on a so-called '28th amendment' to prevent it. The examples you find in relation to the so-called amendment are direct, (however should not be minimized). OSHA, FOIA, are a couple of direct exemptions; not quite as interesting, I agree, but there are certainly hidden consequences that result. US history is riddled with such exemptions, but please spare me the time to research (these are simple to find and again, only the direct examples).

I instead advise you to let your imagination seek out some indirect examples that are a bit more unique and not quite as obvious ;) Clear your mind from the idea that the politicians are our ethical and moral superiors, and I'm sure these indirect examples will come to you in time.

Last edited by 0x3000027E,

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enough that it warranted much discussion on a 28th amendment to prevent it. The examples you find in relation to the amendment are direct, (however should not be minimized). OSHA, FOIA, are a couple of direct exemptions; not quite as interesting, I agree, but there are certainly hidden consequences that result. US history is riddled with such exemptions, but please spare me the time to research (these are simple to find and again, only the direct examples).

I instead advise you to let your imagination seek out some indirect examples that are a bit more unique and not quite as obvious ;) Clear your mind from the idea that the politicians are our ethical and moral superiors, and I'm sure these indirect examples will come to you in time.
Do you have any present examples of lawmakers being above the law?

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another derpy conspiracy theory.

Care to explain the results from pollsters that aren't liberal?

Fox News has Biden up +9.5 points across their 2 most recent polls. The right leaning The Wallstreet Journal has Biden up +14. What about politically neutral organizations such as Pew Research, who has Biden up +10? Or the politically neutral Morning Consult, which has Biden up +8?

What about the most accurate pollsters over the past four years?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-pollsters-to-trust-in-2018/

Yougov has Biden at +8.

Trump's tweeted in support of Rasmussen over 20 times, including this tweet where he confirms the pollster's accuracy:
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1151499379821428736

Then hopefully the people that were participating in these polls were mostly Liberal and the Conservatives that are planning on voting didn't have time to vote in online polls because they have jobs and lives that are more important then mindless internet browsing.

Again context. He asked the doctor that was with him on stage, if that was a posibility, because it was discussed before. Offcourse, media jumped on it and twisted the words in a way that he recommended people injecting themselves with bleach.

If you want to argue your point of view, please get some decend well researched points. Right now, you come of very uninformed.

But in the end, it doesn't matter. You have your view, I have mine, and neither will change. All I can advice anyone, is to have a critical mind and research things you hear.

Trump never said to inject or ingest bleach. Trump also never said that the virus was a hoax. Both of these are lies. There's also daily news on the Liberal media sites that claim Trump has said something or is going do do something. A lot of those things are straight out lies. It's sad that you have to go research the source for these fake news posts, but once you do and watch the video of Trump talking in context with the rest of the conversation and situation you clearly see the Left is full of shit.

Last edited by gregory-samba,

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then hopefully the people that were participating in these polls were mostly Liberal and the Conservatives that are planning on voting didn't have time to vote in online polls because they have jobs and lives that are more important then mindless internet browsing.

Trump never said to inject or ingest bleach. Trump also never said that the virus was a hoax. Both of these are lies. There's also daily news on the Liberal media sites that claim Trump has said something or is going do do something. A lot of those things are straight out lies. It's sad that you have to go research the source for these fake news posts, but once you do and watch the video of Trump talking in context with the rest of the conversation and situation you clearly see the Left is full of shit.
Snopes disagrees with you:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-disinfectants-covid-19/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Glyptofane

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snopes? You're citing Snopes?
That's fine, they are full of shit though. I watched the press conference of when Trump sarcastically made the mention of disinfectants and he clarified his position with reason after the confusion set in. He never said to "drink bleach". Those two words never ever came of out his mouth.
It's apparent neither of you clicked the links and took the time to read the articles.

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's apparent neither of you clicked the links and took the time to read the articles.

I had already read them earlier when I was searching for opinions on what Trump said. They touch on the fact that Trump didn't know what he was talking about and he simply asked the question if injecting disinfectants would be possible. It was a dumb question, but he never instructed anyone to ingest or inject disinfectants let alone "drink bleach". Those two things are lies.

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snopes? You're citing Snopes?

His links still don't show any proof that Trump said people should ingest or inject chemicals, including bleach. They state he asked a question if it would be possible and then the next day clarified he never instructed anyone to drink bleach. Trump saying to "drink bleach" never happened.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why would I? It's clear that anything that they say will be heavily biased towards the left.

You should still read links that lean to the Left. It's smart to know what your opposition is thinking and in this case there's no proof Trump said to people to inject or ingest anything. He simply asked if it were possible and then directed people to discuss issues with their doctors. He never said "hey go drink bleach".

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People don't need facts and logic when they're slaves to their feelings.

The Left not only is driven by pure emotion, but they will dismiss any of the facts or logic when it counteracts their beliefs. So I'm not sure why you're pointing out what the Left does when you usually up-vote comments made by the Left.

Have you ever tried asking a Liberal to say something positive about Trump or give examples of stuff Trump has done that they agree with? Surely, you've seen how the Left suffers from TDS as anything Trump said and does the Liberals take the opposite position and criticize and bastardize him over them. That's far from logical and let alone reasonable. Pure emotion at play, no logic.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yougov has Biden at +8.

Can't speak as to the others, but as a for instance ... that Rasmussen poll reached their conclusion of Biden +12 using a projection that only 76% of voting Republicans would vote for Trump. Maybe that number is correct, but it seems sketchy to me. Trump got 94% of Republican votes in the Primary.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't speak as to the others, but as a for instance ... that Rasmussen poll reached their conclusion of Biden +12 using a projection that only 76% of voting Republicans would vote for Trump. Maybe that number is correct, but it seems sketchy to me. Trump got 94% of Republican votes in the Primary.

There wasn't a viable alternative candidate in the republican primaries. Also the primaries ended March 17, well before the covid cluster fuck ended up in full swing. Quite a large number of republicans are pissed at the lack of pandemic aid, easily enough to peel away 20%. The president actually catching covid, proved that it existed and was not a "hoax" which also disillusioned some republican voters.

Last edited by omgcat,

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
His links still don't show any proof that Trump said people should ingest or inject chemicals, including bleach. They state he asked a question if it would be possible and then the next day clarified he never instructed anyone to drink bleach. Trump saying to "drink bleach" never happened.

You should still read links that lean to the Left. It's smart to know what your opposition is thinking and in this case there's no proof Trump said to people to inject or ingest anything. He simply asked if it were possible and then directed people to discuss issues with their doctors. He never said "hey go drink bleach".
THE PRESIDENT: Right. And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that. So, that, you’re going to have to use medical doctors with. But it sounds — it sounds interesting to me.
Here, Trump said disinfectant "knocks [the COVID-19 infection] out in a minute," it "gets in the lungs," and it does "a tremendous number on the lungs" when injected into the body.

There were thousands of extra calls to Poison Control as a result of these comments.

Trump got 94% of Republican votes in the Primary.
How an incumbent does in the primary election is hardly an indicator of how they're going to do in the general election.

The Left not only is driven by pure emotion, but they will dismiss any of the facts or logic when it counteracts their beliefs. So I'm not sure why you're pointing out what the Left does when you usually up-vote comments made by the Left.
These kinds of bold generalizations do nothing but demonstrate that you're more interested in what feels true vs. what's actually true.

Last edited by Lacius,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ