Pokemon Company to celebrate "Pokemon Day" on February 27

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 26, 2018.

Front-page

In order to commemorate the Pokemon franchise's 22nd anniversary, The Pokemon Company International will be celebrating February 27, the day that Pokemon Red and Green launched in Japan in 1996, as "Pokemon Day". While nothing incredibly significant will be occurring, there will be certain events happening on social media, along with some new merchandise being announced.

• First announced is "Pikachu Talk", which is a new feature for Amazon Alexa and Google Home products that, as you might have already guessed, makes your device respond in various "Pika" noises, as the mascot of Pokemon is known to do.
    • New Snapchat lenses starring the first three starter Pokemon; Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle will be available on that social media platform.
    • The Pokemon Center, which is the online retail store for Pokemon merchandise has unveiled some new merchandise for the celebration, as well. A new toy figure line of "Gallery DX" display figures has been announced, with Charizard being the first to release. Metal pins featuring Dialga and Palkia will be on the store too.
    • The latest Pokemon film, Pokemon The Movie: I Choose You, a movie retelling of the anime's first arc, will be viewable for free on PokemonTV for a week.
    • Pokemon GO is getting some special Pikachus, that wear little birthday hats, and if you manage to catch one, it'll give you triple the normal amount of Stardust than usual.
    • The latest Pokemon movie got a new trailer.
    If any major announcements are made tomorrow, even if unlikely, be sure to stay tuned for more news.

:arrow: Official Site

Skylar-, damiano2712, Xzi and 8 others like this.
    Discussion (25 replies)
  1. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Well this is rather depressing, but festive. Was hoping for more Pokémon Switch news. Oh welllll

2. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Even if you're expecting nothing, it's still a tad disappointing. Really though, even if I don't play Pokemon Go, the birthday hat Pikachus are adorable enough to make me laugh at least. At least TPCI is trying, somewhat.

3. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    pakumam for meh is DED nau

4. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    I feel like my expectations are just unreasonable due to how exciting and rewarding these things felt 10+ years ago... Or maybe modern day consumerism just isn't what it used to be?

5. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Bummer, nothing about Pokemon on Switch. Ah well. Hey, anyone remember how a bunch of people were passing around an old 2016 tweet from the Pokemon account last week about a February Pokemon Direct? I see T-Hug fell for it before promptly removing that article haha.

OctolingRift likes this.
  6. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I wonder if there's a subbed version, because I'm not looking forward to talking English Pikachu. I broke my 2017 movie drought with the film I wanted to break that last week, so I'm free to watch the movie now.

7. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    well that's a damn sad birthday present for me (yes I share Pokemon day with my B day) at least give us a Pokemon direct and tell of the switch title progress

damiano2712 and OctolingRift like this.
  8. gameboy
    This message by gameboy has been removed from public view by Depravo, Feb 26, 2018, Reason: No.
    Feb 26, 2018
  9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    All that hype of Pokémon news, just for this huge let-down. Sad day... I don't think we'll see Pokémon for the Switch anytime soon sadly... They usually hype a game for a year before it's release, and so far, crickets from Nintendo/Game Freak.

Last edited by Jayro, Feb 26, 2018
    Skylar- and OctolingRift like this.
  10. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    i expected nothing and I'm still let down.

Last edited by Flame, Feb 26, 2018
  11. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    In the Pokemon Go bit, this pikachu is the same as last year's pikachu released on pokemon day. but this one knows the move "present". There's also some outfits you can purchase that look like the trainers from fire red/leaf green. It'll last from now till some time on feb 28th. Usually you can hatch pichu with the same hat, if the egg was gotten during the event, but I have no clue if that's happening with this event.

12. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    You guy seriously expect Pokemon this year? USUM had been sold for a year yet and you already think GF will follow it up immediately?

I really don't like a yearly release main Pokemon game idea, gen 7 was horrible experience for me and I hope GF would spend more time on the next gen instead of rushing thing to meet the demand.

13. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    This I find most interesting. I wonder if Pokemon Switch will be a return to Kanto.

14. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Wow, I thought Pokemon GO was dead by now, lol.

15. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    IKR, it was DOA the moment it launched with the way they designed the combat/gym portions of it. "Stardust" is a pretty shit system too. Nintendo shouldn't bother pushing Niantic's dying product for them, Pokemon license or no. Hell, just revoke the license.

Last edited by Xzi, Feb 27, 2018
    Skylar- likes this.
  16. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    But they're making BANK. Pokemon Go was the fastest app ever to reach $1 billion in revenue after launch, and they made a solid $890 million in 2017, pitting them in 9th place for the highest grossing apps of last year. It's still been insanely popular and insanely profitable for Nintendo and Niantic.

17. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    God that's depressing. The shittier the product, the more money it seems to make these days.

18. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    So many little sprinkles of Diamond and Pearl lately.

Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor of Hawaii in Sun/Moon. Dialga and Palkia pins. A dev chat talking about Dialga and Palkia. Very suspicious.

One might say they were planning something. For Switch. Perhaps of the remake variety.

Chary likes this.
  19. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    If we're following the previous pattern, it's two new generations, then a remake. That means we're due a new Pokemon gen first and then Sinnoh remakes right after.

20. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Latest TCG pack was all about Sinnoh Pokemon, too. The Johto teasing was so blatant in D/P/Pt (though Hoenn wasn't as teased iirc, in X/Y) so I can only hope that we get a DPPt remake asap since they're doing all this teasing and hinting at. It's inevitable.