johnnydaman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheNinjaneer said:
Hello everyone, I think I have another way of going about the translation. So I have been googling around and found out that you can use a OCR(Optical Character Recognition) program to identify which Japanese characters are on the screen then use translation software to convert it to english. I already tested it and in was able to translate most of the text(not perfectly but enough to understand).I just need help with making a program that can do this in realtime. I know its sounds like a daunting task but I think its possible and if its successful it could be used on future games. I just want your opinions on this idea.Also good job to those working on the translations. Well thats my two cents, first post WOOT!

I used this OCR to detect the characters: http://maggie.ocrgrid.org/nhocr/
Try it out, just screencap the text and upload it
Note: it may not be exact
Does this work if you type in Japanese text?

TheNinjaneer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
johnnydaman said:
TheNinjaneer said:
Hello everyone, I think I have another way of going about the translation. So I have been googling around and found out that you can use a OCR(Optical Character Recognition) program to identify which Japanese characters are on the screen then use translation software to convert it to english. I already tested it and in was able to translate most of the text(not perfectly but enough to understand).I just need help with making a program that can do this in realtime. I know its sounds like a daunting task but I think its possible and if its successful it could be used on future games. I just want your opinions on this idea.Also good job to those working on the translations. Well thats my two cents, first post WOOT!

You mean if you were to type text while playing the Black or White? The OCR doesn't allow for any other input other than the image so If the text is on the screen it will read it.

johnnydaman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheNinjaneer said:
johnnydaman said:
TheNinjaneer said:

You mean if you were to type text while playing the Black or White? The OCR doesn't allow for any other input other than the image so If the text is on the screen it will read it.
You cant type into it? Thats a shame...But, this program could be really helpful...will i post it above?

TheNinjaneer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
johnnydaman said:
TheNinjaneer said:
johnnydaman said:
TheNinjaneer said:

You cant type into it? Thats a shame...But, this program could be really helpful...will i post it above?
Well if you were to make it from scratch by combining a few source codes, I supposed you could make it so that you could type into it. And sure, but I'm still trying to figure how to actually make this work.

johnnydaman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheNinjaneer said:
johnnydaman said:
TheNinjaneer said:
johnnydaman said:
TheNinjaneer said:

Well if you were to make it from scratch by combining a few source codes, I supposed you could make it so that you could type into it. And sure, but I'm still trying to figure how to actually make this work.
Ok well done keep working

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Johnny, didn't you make up like a little table with the hex you found from the memory dump of the keyboard?
Pretty sure you compiled it...if you didn't, my bad >>

If you could (or anyone else who wants to), could you modify the table for thenewpoketext that uses the two-byte hex codes you found?
I can write the kana if you're too lazy to change your IME; just put in the data for the Roman letters and the things like exclamations and periods and whatnot.
I think it would help a ton in this situation because we could actually, you know

literally see what we're working on

johnnydaman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kosheh said:
Johnny, didn't you make up like a little table with the hex you found from the memory dump of the keyboard?
Pretty sure you compiled it...if you didn't, my bad >>

If you could (or anyone else who wants to), could you modify the table for thenewpoketext that uses the two-byte hex codes you found?
I can write the kana if you're too lazy to change your IME; just put in the data for the Roman letters and the things like exclamations and periods and whatnot.
I think it would help a ton in this situation because we could actually, you know

literally see what we're working on
Sorry i dont know what your talking about haha. I dont really know how to do any of those things im just trying to help by gathering information for those who are translating the games.....and i dont know what table your talking about but could it be the table in the spoiler here?

a/0/
a/0/0/2 IS THE SCRIPT!!!!!
a/0/0/4 Pokemon Sprites
a/0/0/7 In-menu Pokemon sprites
a/0/0/8 In-menu Pokemon sprites
a/0/1/1 Contains the images for the fight menu/Model data for battle stages]
a/0/1/4 *Are the overworld BTX files
a/0/2/5 Item sprites
a/0/3/0 [Touchscreen status]
a/0/3/1 Player sprites
a/0/3/2 NPC sprites
a/0/4/1 Trainer sprites in combat
a/0/5/2 Pokemon Sprites
a/0/5/5 Pokemon types / movement type
a/0/8/3 [Pokemon status menu]
a/0/8/5 World map

a/1/
a/1/1/8 Keyboard
a/1/2/0 Wifi club screen
a/1/2/4 Pokemon types / movement type
a/1/3/1 [Character Artworks]
a/1/3/7 Battle Recorder
a/1/3/9 DSi / DSi XL / LL Menu Screen
a/1/4/3 Game Sync Screens
a/1/5/1 Season Screens (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter)
a/1/6/4 Copyright Screen
a/1/7/0 Player and his friend's Pictures
a/1/7/1 CGear
a/1/7/3 Balloons
a/1/8/4 Trainer Sprites
a/1/8/7 Mysterious Person 'N'
a/1/9/7 Wifi and Wifi related models (example, world globe)

a/2/
a/2/0/1 [Certificate]
a/2/0/2 [Certificate]
a/2/0/5 [Starter's pictures/3D Models]
a/2/0/6 Battle Subway Map
a/2/0/7 Has model data (same as below)
a/2/1/0
a/2/1/7
a/2/1/8
a/2/1/9
a/2/2/0 ['The End' Screen/3D Models]
a/2/2/2
a/2/2/8
a/2/2/9
a/2/3/0 Has MDL0 files (3d models)
a/2/4/4 Some Text (not the Script)

atoxic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can build a table easily by dumping Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji by their little endian Unicode hex values. In fact, since we've hit a dead end so far, I'll do just that.

And to be honest, I usually work as a manga scanlator. I came here to explore rom translation out of curiosity. I can help you guys a little with the translation, though be aware that I'm not as proficient as native speakers

Spongeroberto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bhutan
johnnydaman said:
Sorry i dont know what your talking about haha. I dont really know how to do any of those things im just trying to help by gathering information for those who are translating the games.....and i dont know what table your talking about but could it be the table in the spoiler here?
You shouldn't interpret 'table' quite literally. It makes sense for a program to keep data in the form of tables, even if it doesn't appear literally as a table in-game.

johnnydaman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we have to make a thread sorting all this out like whos doing what and where is this and so on. Or it can be done on this thread?[/size]

TFDELTA

Trophies
XP
Country
will u make a patch with menu+battle attack translated?
smile.gif

Banshou

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to ask, but do we have any tools to translate yet? I have a few friends who speak japanese, and english well, so maybe I could translate a few things if so.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
johnnydaman said:
TFDELTA said:
will u make a patch with menu+battle attack translated?
smile.gif

Me? I dont know how to make patches....if i could i would but, i cant..sorry

QUOTE(samjef11 @ Sep 20 2010, 10:18 PM) This could be of some good http://www.legendarypokemon.net/japanese
thanks ill put it up..
Making patches is easy. It's translating and changing the text that's the hard part.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo