Gaming Please bear with me and help a n00b.

bobgodd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I only signed up for this one issue and after some searching it's leaving my head spinning. I am trying to help a friend fix a DSi that is showing the following error: An error has occurred. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off. Please see the Nintendo DSi Operations Manual for help troubleshooting.

Now I don't own a DS myself, nor will I ever, FWIW... But I would like to help my buddy fix his daughters DSi. Basically, I'm rather clueless as where to begin from this point. This error shows up at any and every stage of operation; upon any selection after booting up.

My initial reaction would to be just reflash it with stock firmware, but I can't find much help online in that direction. Can someone please lend some guidance!! Thank you!

Rob

bobgodd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
What flash card do you have? lol
Buddy lives in Florida, I live in California. He has mailed me the DSi, and power adapter.... That's it. I don't know the root cause of the error either, I asked him what happened to it and he says he doesn't know; it's his daughter's DSi.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi bobgodd, and welcome to GBAtemp.
Guys, I'm not hearing anything about a flashcart. It sounds like this is a problem solely within the DSi.

bobgodd, what sort of game cartridges are you trying in the DSi? (if any)

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
bobgodd said:
s4mid4re said:
Snailface said:
What flash card do you have? lol
This

Plus tell us what firmware DSi your friend has
Where can I find this?? Any screen selection I make takes me to this error.
If there is any card in the slot, take it out and tell us what's on the label.

Also to see the firmware, select the icon with the wrench.
(if you can)

If indeed you can't select any icon on the DSi Menu, then something is wrong with the system's firmware and there is nothing we can do to fix it.

At this point I can see you having to call Nintendo and seeing if it's still under warranty.

bobgodd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Hi bobgodd, and welcome to GBAtemp.
Guys, I'm not hearing anything about a flashcart. It sounds like this is a problem solely within the DSi.

bobgodd, what sort of game cartridges are you trying in the DSi? (if any)
Unfortunately he didn't send me any lol. I haven't graduated to games yet, I'm still trying to access the settings menu
wink.gif

It appears that the only function that works is the camera.

bobgodd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Appreciate the responses. To clarify, there are zero cards/games or other accessories that I have access to at the moment. Attempting to access the settings menu brings up the same error as every other option.

bobgodd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hni0001aj.jpg

Looks exactly like that. Though the DSi is pink lol.

Friend says he sent it to me because it is out of warranty and he's busted on funds.

EDIT: fixed that photo. this is verbatim wording.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
isn't this the same issue users were having when the dsi-ware transfer app failed to install correctly? nintendo denied that the app had anything to do with the issue? yet it appears that when something is not intalled correctly that it can brick the NAND.

i've read that running the calibration screen can fix some problems. you might want to give this a try.

read this: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/d...recalibrate.jsp

-another world

bobgodd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Sign up for Club Nintendo and try to register the system. Maybe if your lucky, you can get warranty support for it.

https://club.nintendo.com/

Never assume it's out of warranty, get confirmation from Nintendo before you give up.
Man that website is confusing. I created an account but don't see any links to register the product??!?!

Figured I'd leave that blurb up there instead of deleting it... I finally figured out how to register it and the warranty has been extended by 90 days! You guys are the best!

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bobgodd said:
Snailface said:
Sign up for Club Nintendo and try to register the system. Maybe if your lucky, you can get warranty support for it.

https://club.nintendo.com/

Never assume it's out of warranty, get confirmation from Nintendo before you give up.
Man that website is confusing. I created an account but don't see any links to register the product??!?!

Figured I'd leave that blurb up there instead of deleting it... I finally figured out how to register it and the warranty has been extended by 90 days! You guys are the best!

Woo! Free DSi fixings.

toot.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
well don't get excited yet. some users who had this problem after the dsi-ware transfer app came out were refused warranty service. others were given back a referb system minus their original dsi-ware purchases.

you really need to be friendly with nintendo and find out what they can do for you. ask all the questions you can think of.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.