PlayStation CEO states that the PlayStation 4 is entering the final phase of its life cycle

IMG_8129.jpg

Today, PlayStation discussed their 2017 fiscal year in a Sony IR (Investor's Relations) Day presentation. In the report, it was mentioned that as of March 31, 2018 that the PlayStation 4 system had sold 79 million units, with 246 million games sold. Also discussed were the sales of PlayStation VR, which, while successful, fell below market expectations, and that the company would be readjusting their outlook on VR going forward. The main focus for Sony's gaming sector is to bolster the PS4's library by utilizing the company's many intellectual properties. More importance will be put on revitalizing successful IPs from the past, citing existing franchises as a pillar of strengthening sales.

The CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, John Kodera also claimed that the PlayStation 4 was "reaching the final phase of its life-cycle", which would cause a decrease in profits. From now until the fiscal year ending in March 2021, Kodera expects lower revenue than in previous years, but intends for strong software sales to offset losses. These plans would "allow for a breather while preparing for a bigger leap for PlayStation" afterwards, in 2021.

:arrow: Source

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ff vs 13 -> 15 (happened)
FF7R -> 16 (could happn)
You can't exactly take a game that was completely built to be a remake, and turn it into something different.

At that point it's only the engine you can copy - which is already the FFXV engine.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can't exactly take a game that was completely built to be a remake, and turn it into something different.

At that point it's only the engine you can copy - which is already the FFXV engine.
they also said they will change up ff7 by big degrees

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they also said they will change up ff7 by big degrees
No they did not. Certain (insignificant) scenes are being left out, and some new content added. But they are planning to stay true to the original for the most part.

Biggest difference is the battle system.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easiest solution?
Probably release a revision with newer internal hardware improvements, ala Xbox One X.
You mean like the PS4 pro? Already happened. They aren't gonna release a 3rd beefed up PS4 - PS5 is the next logical conclusion.

Reactions: CatmanFan

Anfroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, the pro is not a new console. It's the same thing than the Gameboy Advance SP for the Gameboy Advance, the DSi for the DS, the 2DS/N2DS/N3DS for the 3DS...
Never said it was, just that they released a better revision not to long ago and would feel weird for them to release a new console so soon. Plus we haven't had an upgraded console before like handhelds unless I'm forgetting something.

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Never said it was, just that they released a better revision not to long ago and would feel weird for them to release a new console so soon. Plus we haven't had an upgraded console before like handhelds unless I'm forgetting something.
You are forgetting the Black Wii and the Wii Mini for the Wii. Sure, there's a revision of the PS4 not long ago, but it still would makes sense that they release a new console 3~4 years after that. Don't forget that "Final phase of its life cycle" does not mean that there will be a new console next year by any mean. It just means that sales will slowly decrease from now on.

Last edited by medoli900,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember someone saying that the PS4 Pro could be a makeshift/pseudo low end PS5. While that might make some people mad, they could very well do that. That way, PS4 Pro and Xbox 1 X seems like less of a, lack of a better word, waste. Then why go for the PS5? The same reason people went for the PS4 Pro. Of course the PS5 could have exclusive features or whatever, too.

As for worrying about PS4 Pro holding back the PS5, devs seems to know how to scale their games. So, I don't think that would be much of an issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place