PlayStation CEO states that the PlayStation 4 is entering the final phase of its life cycle

IMG_8129.jpg

Today, PlayStation discussed their 2017 fiscal year in a Sony IR (Investor's Relations) Day presentation. In the report, it was mentioned that as of March 31, 2018 that the PlayStation 4 system had sold 79 million units, with 246 million games sold. Also discussed were the sales of PlayStation VR, which, while successful, fell below market expectations, and that the company would be readjusting their outlook on VR going forward. The main focus for Sony's gaming sector is to bolster the PS4's library by utilizing the company's many intellectual properties. More importance will be put on revitalizing successful IPs from the past, citing existing franchises as a pillar of strengthening sales.

The CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, John Kodera also claimed that the PlayStation 4 was "reaching the final phase of its life-cycle", which would cause a decrease in profits. From now until the fiscal year ending in March 2021, Kodera expects lower revenue than in previous years, but intends for strong software sales to offset losses. These plans would "allow for a breather while preparing for a bigger leap for PlayStation" afterwards, in 2021.

:arrow: Source

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's going to be a sad tiny bump to the next Gen. The cost per transistor has not decreased significantly in the past 5 years. For a new console to reach a reasonable level of improvement to satisfy, it'll cost too much.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS4 has a good 12-15 games worth playing I find, a few of them remakes. By the end of year two it seems like it'll be about the same for Switch. XB1 has nada for worthwhile exclusives, but that's why their numbers are way behind Sony's.

In hindsight that cell processor in the PS3 really wasn't worth it. They took a huge loss on sales and customers lost backward compatibility just because Sony had to be special last gen.
There is only like 1 or 2 exclusives for the Xbone that aren't on PC that I care about, and one of them is the Master Chief Collection. Boy, I would buy that in a heart beat if it came to PC. :P

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How poor ps4 and xbox One game libraries look so far compared to xbox 360/ps3(fixed) ones, it would be weird to end the current system cycle already. Doesn't make sense at all, graphics can't look much or any better then they do now and be affordable at the same time. I remember how cocky Sony was when they launched ps4, price was through the roof and they've hit the rock bottom.

I know you're serious, so I won't ask that question.

So instead my question is, have you been paying attention?

My PS3 collection is my largest console collection, but the PS4 is nipping it's heels (and quickly) There's a METRIC TON of good games on PS4 comparatively.

Look at this list of exclusives alone. https://gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4/ It's insane. And yet they keep coming, and this E3 there will be even more.

I'm not going to disagree with your XBO assessment, it's utter shash compared to the X360 lineup. That was MS strongest system as far as exclusives and support from JPN.

I remember how cocky Sony was when they launched ps3(fixed?), price was through the roof and they've hit the rock bottom.

You DO mean the PS3 right? The PS4 has been nothing but a positive experience for them and sales have done nothing but grown. Your comment matches nothing when considering the PS4 situation.

I'm thinking you're confusing things or just saying something you didn't mean, because both corrections I made to your original post don't make sense when you read them as-is. Especially when you wrote PS4 when you meant PS3 in both cases...

Is it just me, or has the exclusives for the PS4 and Xbone been pretty depressing this gen? It felt like last gen had so many more exclusives. I've thought about getting a PS4 pro when the hack came out, but looking at the games, most I can just play on PC, and it felt like a waste of money.

Why does everyone think this?

Look here. https://gematsu.com/exclusives Do the comparison and get equipped (with knowledge).

Just a brief glance at the PS3 list tells me one thing, there were a ****-ton of sequels on the PS3. That much is true.

Last edited by mario5555,
Reactions: medoli900

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
How the hell is the PS4 entering the end of its life cycle while the PS3 is almost 13 years old and its still going out strong?
Not to mention that the PS4 is keeping Sony afloat because it sure as shit isn't their smartphones/tablets.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hope we wont see ps5 anytime soon
i just brought ps4 pro 2 months ago.
the graphics are more than enough for me.
Doesn't make sense at all, graphics can't look much or any better then they do now and be affordable at the same time.
While I do think the ps5 is coming "soon", this does make a great point.

i'm hoping the ps5 is a compatible upgrade (hopefully a big one this time around) similar to how the ps4 pro is to the ps4, they would make a huge mistake if they keep resetting the generations with all the problems that come up:
No reason not to, then again, maybe they will "switch" to carts. Finally moving away from CDs.

I just hope FFVII Remake will make it on the PS4 and be moved to PS5.
I can see a lot of ps4 ports/remakes making it to the Ps5. Especially if they, once again, have no BC.

I remember that someone said in the forums yesterday that the PS4 is at the "mid point of the lifespan".
Well, whoever that guy is...YOU JINXED IT! :glare:
That was me.

Considering that they basically just came out with console revisions, this feels more like a mid point in the lifespan.
Base on the last generation, we have at least 3 - 4 more years.
Of course I could be completely wrong and they just release the PS5 next year.

So Sony is basically saying that they're going to invest less on VR going forward
I just hope they don't stop investment altogether.
In hindsight that cell processor in the PS3 really wasn't worth it. They took a huge loss on sales and customers lost backward compatibility just because Sony had to be special last gen.
Kind of reminds me of the Vita memory cards.
How the hell is the PS4 entering the end of its life cycle while the PS3 is almost 13 years old and its still going out strong?
Not to mention that the PS4 is keeping Sony afloat because it sure as shit isn't their smartphones/tablets.
PS3 isn't their main focus and while they may keep supporting the PS4 after the PS5, they aren't going wait 13 years for the next generation of consoles to come out.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I feel like games are coming to a graphical standstill. Any differences between console versions of games are negligible details at best.
BUT MUH 4K!!!11!!1!1!
ok, as long as they get their shit together next gen they'll be able to deliver stable native 4k, the problem with ps4/xbone was that they released excellent 1080p machines but then wanted to go beyond that and released half-assed 4k upgrades when 1080p was good enough to win the race.
who I'm kidding, they will release ps5/xbtwo with 4k in mind but then they'll want to jump to the 8k hype train.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BUT MUH 4K!!!11!!1!1!
ok, as long as they get their shit together next gen they'll be able to deliver stable native 4k, the problem with ps4/xbone was that they released excellent 1080p machines but then wanted to go beyond that and released half-assed 4k upgrades when 1080p was good enough to win the race.
who I'm kidding, they will release ps5/xbtwo with 4k in mind but then they'll want to jump to the 8k hype train.
I really doubt there will be a "8k hype train" anytime soon even after they release those consoles.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
PS3 isn't their main focus and while they may keep supporting the PS4 after the PS5, they aren't going wait 13 years for the next generation of consoles to come out.
I don't see how that is related to the fact that they think that the PS4 is near the end of its life cycle.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how that is related to the fact that they think that the PS4 is near the end of its life cycle.
I think we are having a misunderstanding on what they mean by "final phase of its life cycle". I took "final phase of its life cycle" as when the console will stop being their main focus and start getting replaced by the next console. Not that people would suddenly stop playing with the PS4 once it hits that year.

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
People hear acting as if PS4 has had a lack of exclusives, I swear we live in a time where people have such short memory, here's a few "standout" exclusives -:

1.Uncharted 4/lost legacy
2.Bloodborne
3.Horizon zero dawn
4.God of war
5.Until Dawn
6.Ratchet and clank
7.Killzone Shadow fall
8.The last guardian
9.GT sport

Standout exclusives that will release in the next few months-:

1.Spiderman
2.Last of us 2
3.Death stranding
4.Detroit:Become human
5.Days gone

If you wanna speak about a lack of exclusives and a bland lifespan lets talk about my launch xbone sitting in a box in my garage, forza and halo only nothing else comes to mind this generation for it, the switch will easily rival PS4 for exclusives by end of its life cycle aswell.

Last edited by Treeko,
D

Deleted User

The XB360/Wii/PS3 generation was unusually long (thanks in part to the financial situation of many consumers at the time), so it's to be expected that this generation lasted a bit shorter than the previous one. I think it had a decent run, though, and it's time to move on to newer hardware.

As a side note, I don't have much faith in mid-generation hardware upgrades; all they do is confuse consumers and end up making them feel ripped off when the next generation arrives; I see it both in this thread, and in previous generations (a la Sega CD/32X and other similar add-ons).

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the PS4 was the last system and that Sony would do incremental upgrades meaning all future systems would be backwards compatible?

I was looking forward to the Playstation 4 Pro Pro...

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point im gonna go against the grain and say about time. The base ps4 is so weak for modern standards, and many (probably most) games dont get a boost on the pro. Needing to choose between 1080p and 60 fps at this point is ridiculous. If they announce a ps5 launch with a bloodborne remastered thats 1440p 60 and some nice QoL fixes id buy the system day 1. Also please no more psvr. Consoles are not powerful enough for a good vr experience. Put more resources into normal games, not vr ones i cant even play on my rift.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...