Jim Ryan says first-party Sony games won't be coming to new PlayStation Plus on release day

unknown-19.jpg

On Monday, Sony announced their plans to revitalize their PlayStation Plus program, which will include tiers that are similar to Microsoft's Game Pass system; for the length of their subscription, users get access to a catalog of games to stream or download. One of the most notable aspects of Game Pass is Microsoft's policy of releasing first-party titles to the service on their release date. In a recent interview with GameIndustry.biz, however, PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan says that Sony will not be adopting the same policy, believing that their games would suffer as a result.

We feel like we are in a good virtuous cycle with the studios where the investment delivers success, which enables yet more investment, which delivers yet more success. We like that cycle and we think our gamers like that cycle.

[In terms of] putting our own games into this service, or any of our services, upon their release... as you well know, this is not a road that we've gone down in the past. And it's not a road that we're going to go down with this new service. We feel if we were to do that with the games that we make at PlayStation Studios, that virtuous cycle will be broken. The level of investment that we need to make in our studios would not be possible, and we think the knock-on effect on the quality of the games that we make would not be something that gamers want.

Ryan also talks about the pricing structure of the three new tiers for PlayStation Plus. There will be the Essential, which is the same PS Plus there is now at $10/month; Extra, which gives access to a library of PS4 and PS5 games for $15/month; and Premium, which adds on game streaming, timed trials, and access to PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games for $18/month. While the monthly cost is higher than Xbox's Game Pass, Jim Ryan has mentioned that more than two thirds of subscribers do so at the annual rate, so Sony has emphasized putting value on that option. "What we are delivering is that, for a 12-month subscriber, and that is the great majority of people, the monthly subscription rate for PlayStation Plus Extra will be $8.33. And for PlayStation Plus Premium it will be $9.99. We think, for what people are going to get, this is a terrific value proposition. And one that simply wouldn't be possible if we were to put our studios' games into the service upon their release."

While Ryan believes games subscription services are important, he doesn't think they are everything. "With platforms, it is seldom just one single thing that makes a platform really attractive. It's a combination of many things. And having a really strong service proposition definitely helps." He continued, "Subscription has certainly grown in importance over the course of the last few years. Our PlayStation Plus subscriber number has grown from zero in 2010, to 48 million now. And we anticipate, for our services, that we will see further growth for the subscriber number. But the medium of gaming is so very different to music and to linear entertainment, that I don't think we'll see it go to the levels that we see with Spotify and Netflix."

Finally, Ryan touched on the topic of live service games as an alternative form of games subscription, believing that they will ultimately be more important and lucrative. "Some of the live service [games] that are proving very successful these days, and I'm not restricting this comment to console, they're effectively subscription services in themselves. And they're very much tailored to the needs of the gamer who loves whatever game that they spend hours and hours with, month after month after month. That phenomenon of the live service game... that has, in a very large part, fuelled the enormous growth in the gaming industry that we've seen over the last ten years. I think that trend towards live services will continue, and if you look for a model in our category of entertainment, which supports sustained engagement over a long period of time, live services games arguably fit that bill better than a subscription service."

As Eurogamer reported last month, transcribing an investor meeting, Sony plans to release ten live service games by March 2026. According to Sony exec Hiroki Totoki, this was a big reason for their purchase of Destiny developer Bungie in January. "The strategic significance of this acquisition lies not only in obtaining the highly successful Destiny franchise, as well as major new IP Bungie is currently developing, but also incorporating into the Sony group the expertise and technologies Bungie has developed in the live game services space. We intend to utilise these strengths when developing game IP at PlayStation Studios as we expand into the live game services area."

:arrow: Source

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I just read the first sentence and already got tired, I'm not reading through all that shit

I'm not saying that supporting them makes you a shill, I called you a shill because you're basically posting the same stuff over and over, people already answered and you're still saying the same stuff people already disagreed on. Just stop wasting that much energy and time, we got it you think that's better because there are more games, cool, now move on.

You've tried to make your own point on more than one occasion here, as have others, yet crickets from you. Then you condemn me for doing it because my opinion is different than yours? It's obvious your nothing more than a trolling MS shill fanboy and hypocrite. Start practicing what you preach, then go play Halo or some shit.

More games!= all good games

No first party games day one, fail

Incredibly sad. I've seen you do much better attempts of trolling than your last two fails. Seems one of this places most obvious trolls is running out of steam and ideas. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Ya'll bore me to fucking death here. Off to pay for 3 months of PS Now so my PS Plus auto converts to Premium in June. You two have fun with ummmm, like I said, Halo or something. :lol: And try not to cry that you have to limit your game libraries because you're too poor for more than one option. I'll still be over here with both.

I'd stay and have this convo if either of you two had any even remotely good or accurate talking points about this. But since that's a big nope, buh-bye now.

Last edited by Stone_Wings,
  • Haha
Reactions: Megadriver94

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've tried to make your own point on more than one occasion here, as have others, yet crickets from you. Then you condemn me for doing it because my opinion is different than yours? It's obvious your nothing more than a trolling MS shill fanboy and hypocrite. Start practicing what you preach, then go play Halo or some shit.

Incredibly sad. I've seen you do much better attempts of trolling than your last two fails. Seems one of this places most obvious trolls is running out of steam and ideas. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Ya'll bore me to fucking death here. Off to pay for 3 months of PS Now so my PS Plus auto converts to Premium in June. You two have fun with ummmm, like I said, Halo or something. :lol: And try not to cry that you have to limit your game libraries because you're too poor for more than one option. I'll still be over here with both.

I'd stay and have this convo if either of you two had any even remotely good or accurate talking points about this. But since that's a big nope, buh-bye now.

This isn't an airport, no need to announce your departure.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lmao that's so pathetic.

Man is leaving, like « muh at least I'm not poor I have money to buy everything » yet he felt the need to tell everyone what's better and what's not despite everyone disagreeing. Looks like I was spot on when I said you were trying to convince anyone but yourself.

Have fun mate, I'm happy you managed to avoid cognitive dissonance and can enjoy your thousands of games now

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GamePass = $120 annually w/ 450+ games.
PS Plus Premium = $120 annually w/ 700+ games.

Yup. Such huge, huge, HUGE differences. Even the "Day One With GamePass!!!" thing is overblown. Coming from someone who pays for both GamePass Ultimate and PS Plus. It's not like MS are pumping out AAA first party day one games left and right on a regular basis. I mean.... https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/play-day-one. The new PS tiers may not have day one first party AAA releases, but Xbox barely has any themselves.The majority are 3rd party/indies. Bloodborne alone rivals any first party game on game pass, let alone the rest of the PS exclusive catalog people will have access to.

How long are some of you going to chime on with this entire inferior thing? The only ones rightfully complaining, imo, are those who had or want PS Now without the PS Plus part. Both services offer basically the same thing. You pay to rent a library of games. One has some MS exclusives, the other has some PS exclusives. Both are generally the exact same price. I'll be over here with both. Only thing I'm not upgrading is my N online. I'll pay for the expansion pack when there's a library similar to the sizes of GamePass and PS Plus. So most likely never.
Fanboy.
With 700+ titles, I'm not too concerned. Half of what's on GamePass is shovelware to me too. I will 100% agree with you on the PS3 end.
Fanboy.
(claps) Mr. Ryan is a smart man, someone who progresses cautiously yet with plenty of respect for his consumer base. For this, I'm more likely to subscribe to the new PlayStation Plus.
What??
Oh. You mean "WORSE"! As in worse, by being the same price and offering nearly double the amount of games. Gotcha. :)
Fanboy
Shill? Ohhhh, look everyone! The good old "If you support them, you must be working for them!!!" line. Seriously? LOL! Okay. I can play along with that line of grade school thinking. I mean, since you're obviously employed by the Xbox marketing team. Right? Because no one else would say something that costs the same but offers nearly double the number of titles is a shittier deal. So yeah, you can shill all you want. It's funny how you can take the time and effort to oppose the service and my post, yet here you are criticizing me for defending it. If I'm a shill, so are you. See how that works? Or you didn't think about that before you posted? :lol:
Dude you have literally come back to almost every single comment with the same “700+ games” argument. How many of those games do you already own on past PS consoles? I’d like to bet a large number off people still own a hell of a lot of older system games, me included. Fuck paying again just for the privilege of playing them on a ps5. The emu will be shit and the games will be worse. Save yourself money and just go buy an old console and hack it ffs if you’re that bothered about having 700+games.

Rant over

Still say the service does not even attempt to match GP really. It’s a real shame Sony have made such a half assed attempt because a proper GP rival would of been good for both consoles in the long run.

Reactions: LightBeam

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
(claps) Mr. Ryan is a smart man, someone who progresses cautiously yet with plenty of respect for his consumer base. For this, I'm more likely to subscribe to the new PlayStation Plus.
I didn't even see that.

Wasn't Sony those who wouldn't implement any kind of crossplay because they couldn't see how they could make money with that despite Epic being more than willing to give everything they could want ? Yeah that's what I thought, only mockery from Microsoft and Nintendo did the trick.

Could be the first time I see Nintendo being able to make fun of Sony because of their lack of online functionnality

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Mate you sound more like a Sony fanboy than anyone else in the thread. Also no one really gives a shit if you can afford both subs. Many of us could but choose not too as Sonys offering is just shit 😂
Also having a hacked Ps1, 2, 3, 4, PSP and Vita kinda negates the need for any Sony subscription for me and I know a lot of other people here will be in the same situation.
And by the way… I already have more games on my PS4 alone than you will get on the “Premium” plan, just saying 😁

There’s still nothing out there that makes me actually want to unpack the PS5 I have sat here either…

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On Monday, Sony announced their plans to revitalize their PlayStation Plus program, which will include tiers that are similar to Microsoft's Game Pass system; for the length of their subscription, users get access to a catalog of games to stream or download. One of the most notable aspects of Game Pass is Microsoft's policy of releasing first-party titles to the service on their release date. In a recent interview with GameIndustry.biz, however, PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan says that Sony will not be adopting the same policy, believing that their games would suffer as a result.

Ryan also talks about the pricing structure of the three new tiers for PlayStation Plus. There will be the Essential, which is the same PS Plus there is now at $10/month; Extra, which gives access to a library of PS4 and PS5 games for $15/month; and Premium, which adds on game streaming, timed trials, and access to PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games for $18/month. While the monthly cost is higher than Xbox's Game Pass, Jim Ryan has mentioned that more than two thirds of subscribers do so at the annual rate, so Sony has emphasized putting value on that option. "What we are delivering is that, for a 12-month subscriber, and that is the great majority of people, the monthly subscription rate for PlayStation Plus Extra will be $8.33. And for PlayStation Plus Premium it will be $9.99. We think, for what people are going to get, this is a terrific value proposition. And one that simply wouldn't be possible if we were to put our studios' games into the service upon their release."

While Ryan believes games subscription services are important, he doesn't think they are everything. "With platforms, it is seldom just one single thing that makes a platform really attractive. It's a combination of many things. And having a really strong service proposition definitely helps." He continued, "Subscription has certainly grown in importance over the course of the last few years. Our PlayStation Plus subscriber number has grown from zero in 2010, to 48 million now. And we anticipate, for our services, that we will see further growth for the subscriber number. But the medium of gaming is so very different to music and to linear entertainment, that I don't think we'll see it go to the levels that we see with Spotify and Netflix."

Finally, Ryan touched on the topic of live service games as an alternative form of games subscription, believing that they will ultimately be more important and lucrative. "Some of the live service [games] that are proving very successful these days, and I'm not restricting this comment to console, they're effectively subscription services in themselves. And they're very much tailored to the needs of the gamer who loves whatever game that they spend hours and hours with, month after month after month. That phenomenon of the live service game... that has, in a very large part, fuelled the enormous growth in the gaming industry that we've seen over the last ten years. I think that trend towards live services will continue, and if you look for a model in our category of entertainment, which supports sustained engagement over a long period of time, live services games arguably fit that bill better than a subscription service."

As Eurogamer reported last month, transcribing an investor meeting, Sony plans to release ten live service games by March 2026. According to Sony exec Hiroki Totoki, this was a big reason for their purchase of Destiny developer Bungie in January. "The strategic significance of this acquisition lies not only in obtaining the highly successful Destiny franchise, as well as major new IP Bungie is currently developing, but also incorporating into the Sony group the expertise and technologies Bungie has developed in the live game services space. We intend to utilise these strengths when developing game IP at PlayStation Studios as we expand into the live game services area."

:arrow: Source
They should learn from Disney+. Make tier one comes to the service without too much of a wait. Just like people going to cinema, you can count on people who would to have mostly already done so after not a very long time from release date.

Another option is to have a all you can eat buffet for some hours. People can sample what they want and then buy only what they really want. People will buy more games this way, you can only hope to earn so much from people who bought a game that they didn't like due to lack of information.

Maybe a credit system. Every subscriber given some credit per month that can be spend on buying game time. Tier one can require more credits.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even see that.

Wasn't Sony those who wouldn't implement any kind of crossplay because they couldn't see how they could make money with that despite Epic being more than willing to give everything they could want ? Yeah that's what I thought, only mockery from Microsoft and Nintendo did the trick.

Could be the first time I see Nintendo being able to make fun of Sony because of their lack of online functionnality
I didn't say that Sony was perfect. No company is perfect. Sony has made some stupid marketing decisions that they eventually ended up paying for (one of which was an alleged scheme where the products would "break" shortly after warranty expiration... web search it; it's true).

However, whenever you subscribe to what can be called a "walled garden" scheme, i.e. any service that is heavy on DRM and thus you don't actually own anything you subscribe for, you are at the mercy of the company and what they offer via their services. Therefore, you have to expect when they take away things you want, that it will be gone until they decide to bring it back, or that they can change they price without notice, or anything. Because you are agreeing to THEIR TERMS. THEY have the right to do whatever to your account because you don't actually own stuff they provide via your account.

So, in this, I would say that Sony is making a good move on their part. For now, if you really really want to play first party Sony games, then buy a PlayStation. It's a good marketing strategy, and Ryan himself even says that "the medium of gaming is so very different to music and to linear entertainment, that I don't think we'll see [our subscription service] go to the levels that we see with Spotify and Netflix."

PlayStation consoles are always going to be the core of what is gaming to Sony, but unlike Nintendo, they are making gaming available in so many other ways too. Let's just appreciate that they haven't decided to take PlayStation Plus/Now away for good altogether!

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say that Sony was perfect. No company is perfect. Sony has made some stupid marketing decisions that they eventually ended up paying for (one of which was an alleged scheme where the products would "break" shortly after warranty expiration... web search it; it's true).

However, whenever you subscribe to what can be called a "walled garden" scheme, i.e. any service that is heavy on DRM and thus you don't actually own anything you subscribe for, you are at the mercy of the company and what they offer via their services. Therefore, you have to expect when they take away things you want, that it will be gone until they decide to bring it back, or that they can change they price without notice, or anything. Because you are agreeing to THEIR TERMS. THEY have the right to do whatever to your account because you don't actually own stuff they provide via your account.

So, in this, I would say that Sony is making a good move on their part. For now, if you really really want to play first party Sony games, then buy a PlayStation. It's a good marketing strategy, and Ryan himself even says that "the medium of gaming is so very different to music and to linear entertainment, that I don't think we'll see [our subscription service] go to the levels that we see with Spotify and Netflix."

PlayStation consoles are always going to be the core of what is gaming to Sony, but unlike Nintendo, they are making gaming available in so many other ways too. Let's just appreciate that they haven't decided to take PlayStation Plus/Now away for good altogether!
Subscription is better than fake own. It is like video. Fake buy means you can play the video as often as you like until they take it away (maybe not for a long time but don't bet on it). Rend is you can watch it for next 24 hours.

Maybe they can offer rent, then the option to upgrade to fake buy for the price delta if you like the game.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Subscription is better than fake own. It is like video. Fake buy means you can play the video as often as you like until they take it away (maybe not for a long time but don't bet on it). Rend is you can watch it for next 24 hours.

Maybe they can offer rent, then the option to upgrade to fake buy for the price delta if you like the game.
I don't understand. I thought "subscription" and "fake own/buy" are the same thing? :unsure:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just discovered something I didn't realize about game pass: their ultimate package. that is $14.99/month, and there doesn't seem to be a way to add more months from microsoft themselves unless you use a digital code. on top of that, it says that you're only credited up to three months, so anything beyond that will not be credited to your account. that is bull shit tbh. that could be why playstation is technically cheaper, when I thought they were the same price. the $9.99 version doesn't credit you with the amenities of gold such as the free games every month. if you get both, it's $14.99 though instead of nearly $20/month. I just purchased it so I could start getting those free games. I thought the $14.99 version was for both console and pc together only, but I guess it's required to have everything on the series x. :(

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
just discovered something I didn't realize about game pass: their ultimate package. that is $14.99/month, and there doesn't seem to be a way to add more months from microsoft themselves unless you use a digital code. on top of that, it says that you're only credited up to three months, so anything beyond that will not be credited to your account. that is bull shit tbh. that could be why playstation is technically cheaper, when I thought they were the same price. the $9.99 version doesn't credit you with the amenities of gold such as the free games every month. if you get both, it's $14.99 though instead of nearly $20/month. I just purchased it so I could start getting those free games. I thought the $14.99 version was for both console and pc together only, but I guess it's required to have everything on the series x. :(
Wouldn't call it bull shit (and don't forget your sub extends to your PC, brucie bonus!), would merely agree that for people who can afford to pay more upfront, then the new Plus is cheaper yes. But then we're not getting day one games on the new Plus, so it kinda should be cheaper, which is the whole point of this topic really!
As I suspected this to happen anyway though, the news came as no surprise to me: Sony are generally a bit greedy anyway, and simply don't have deep enough pockets to compete head on with Game Pass either. The extra tier for streaming PS3 (and of course PS1/2/P) though?? Err I'm not all that impressed on paper: anyone that really wants that probably has a decent collection of older games on their PSN account by now anyway, are they following Nintendo's lead and basically nullifying those? As in you can only play them via this sub? Bit of a dick move.... similarly streaming PS3, but with them buying Gaikai pretty much for this, that's probably all you're gonna get (PS3 emulation would be a nightmare anyway on PS5 - it's not just a case of 'it has this much power it should be ok', kinda wish it was but that isn't the case, so they're not investing in that!)
I think if they were a bit more aggressive with the pricing, even just a buck a month less than GP for the similar tier, we'd all be a lot happier...

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't call it bull shit (and don't forget your sub extends to your PC, brucie bonus!), would merely agree that for people who can afford to pay more upfront, then the new Plus is cheaper yes. But then we're not getting day one games on the new Plus, so it kinda should be cheaper, which is the whole point of this topic really!
As I suspected this to happen anyway though, the news came as no surprise to me: Sony are generally a bit greedy anyway, and simply don't have deep enough pockets to compete head on with Game Pass either. The extra tier for streaming PS3 (and of course PS1/2/P) though?? Err I'm not all that impressed on paper: anyone that really wants that probably has a decent collection of older games on their PSN account by now anyway, are they following Nintendo's lead and basically nullifying those? As in you can only play them via this sub? Bit of a dick move.... similarly streaming PS3, but with them buying Gaikai pretty much for this, that's probably all you're gonna get (PS3 emulation would be a nightmare anyway on PS5 - it's not just a case of 'it has this much power it should be ok', kinda wish it was but that isn't the case, so they're not investing in that!)
I think if they were a bit more aggressive with the pricing, even just a buck a month less than GP for the similar tier, we'd all be a lot happier...
that's not what I was referring to as bullshit. it's the fact that if you buy more than three months, it's not added to your account. it's in the game pass faq, which I found shocking.

Reactions: mightymuffy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over