PlayStation's Jim Ryan to retire next spring

jim ryan.JPG

In a press release issued earlier this week, Sony announced that Jim Ryan, the current head of PlayStation and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, has decided to retire in March 2024 after nearly three decades with the PlayStation business.

“After 30 years, I have made the decision to retire from SIE in March 2024," Jim Ryan said in the press release. "I’ve relished the opportunity to have a job I love in a very special company, working with great people and incredible partners. But I’ve found it increasingly difficult to reconcile living in Europe and working in North America. I will leave having been privileged to work on products that have touched millions of lives across the world; PlayStation will always be part of my life, and I feel more optimistic than ever about the future of SIE. I want to thank Yoshida-san for placing so much trust in me and being an incredibly sensitive and supportive leader.”

To assist in the transition following Jim Ryan's departure and in finding a successor to the SIE CEO role, Hiroki Totoki, Sony Group Corporation President, COO and CFO, will assume the role of Interim CEO as from April 1, 2024.

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't Sony's main headquarters in Japan?
Unfortunately, no. Sony Computer Entertainment's main headquarters was originally in Japan, but then they moved it to San Mateo, California in 2016 when they merged it and Sony Network Entertainment International into what is now known as Sony Interactive Entertainment (which is the branch of Sony that handles all Playstation hardware/software developed, produced, and sold).

Which is the point when SIE started becoming "Americanized" and went on to make such decisions as censoring/blocking Japanese games that don't conform to Western standards (regardless of whether or not they went through ESRB evaluation), while allowing Western games like The Last of Us 2 to release without similar scrutiny of the overall content (some of which ended up being censored in Japan, coincidentally). Square Enix is the only huge exception I can think of, but that's only because Sony can't risk losing one of the biggest franchises/third-party developer on their platform.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, no. Sony Computer Entertainment's main headquarters was originally in Japan, but then they moved it to San Mateo, California in 2016 when they merged it and Sony Network Entertainment International into what is now known as Sony Interactive Entertainment (which is the branch of Sony that handles all Playstation hardware/software developed, produced, and sold).

Which is the point when SIE started becoming "Americanized" and went on to make such decisions as censoring/blocking Japanese games that don't conform to Western standards (regardless of whether or not they went through ESRB evaluation), while allowing Western games like The Last of Us 2 to release without similar scrutiny of the overall content (some of which ended up being censored in Japan, coincidentally). Square Enix is the only huge exception I can think of, but that's only because Sony can't risk losing one of the biggest franchises/third-party developer on their platform.
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/data/

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, that corporate information for Sony as a whole. Even today, Sony has quite a few departments, and yes, it's main main headquarters is located in Japan.

That being said, we are referring to Sony Interactive Entertainment, one of Sony's branches/subsidiaries, which has its main headquarters in California. This is the branch that's responsible for all things regarding the Playstation, and what we look at when examining the changes that have occurred for the Playstation environment over the years (including a minimum $20 increase in Playstation Plus subscriptions).

You can check here to confirm SIE's headquarters being in California: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/corporate/about-us/

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, that corporate information for Sony as a whole. Even today, Sony has quite a few departments, and yes, it's main main headquarters is located in Japan.

That being said, we are referring to Sony Interactive Entertainment, one of Sony's branches/subsidiaries, which has its main headquarters in California. This is the branch that's responsible for all things regarding the Playstation, and what we look at when examining the changes that have occurred for the Playstation environment over the years (including a minimum $20 increase in Playstation Plus subscriptions).

You can check here to confirm SIE's headquarters being in California: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/corporate/about-us/
Information like this still goes directly to headquarters especially when it comes to there top of the line selling products. Sony USA just exists so Americans don't have to RMA clear to Japan.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto