PlayStation's Jim Ryan to retire next spring

jim ryan.JPG

In a press release issued earlier this week, Sony announced that Jim Ryan, the current head of PlayStation and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, has decided to retire in March 2024 after nearly three decades with the PlayStation business.

“After 30 years, I have made the decision to retire from SIE in March 2024," Jim Ryan said in the press release. "I’ve relished the opportunity to have a job I love in a very special company, working with great people and incredible partners. But I’ve found it increasingly difficult to reconcile living in Europe and working in North America. I will leave having been privileged to work on products that have touched millions of lives across the world; PlayStation will always be part of my life, and I feel more optimistic than ever about the future of SIE. I want to thank Yoshida-san for placing so much trust in me and being an incredibly sensitive and supportive leader.”

To assist in the transition following Jim Ryan's departure and in finding a successor to the SIE CEO role, Hiroki Totoki, Sony Group Corporation President, COO and CFO, will assume the role of Interim CEO as from April 1, 2024.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your only 2 days too late. good riddance to this guy it's because of him the ps5 is being beaten by a fucking tablet!
A last gen tablet with outdated hardware even when it released seven years ago nonetheless. Sony really needs to up their game this generation, so hopefully the new guy helps out with that for PS fans

Last edited by TheDerpyDolphin,

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh... haven't cared enough about Playstion since the PS3 days, if I'm being honest. I know there are great titles on the PS4, but many of them have come to PC, anyway. So it's hard for me to genuinely care about Playstation and XBox these days. Hell, the only reason I care about Switch anymore is because of Nintendo's first party offerings, and the fact that it's a portable system.

linkofhyrule1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention the death of Iwata. Nintendo REALLY went downhill after his death.
Mmmm, I don't think that's really true. Like, at all. Loved Iwata, but since his death in 2015, Nintendo has been doing rather well...

Attachments

• Nintendo Earnings.png
    Nintendo Earnings.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 18
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mmmm, I don't think that's really true. Like, at all. Loved Iwata, but since his death in 2015, Nintendo has been doing rather well...
Yes, financially Nintendo’s been doing great without Iwata thanks to the Switch. However after Iwata Nintendo’s been more prone to doing less customer friendly things (Paid Switch Online despite it being crap and originally being free, releasing unfinished games, gatcha mobile games, timed releases that become unavailable whenever Nintendo feels like it, extremely boring system UI, etc). However this is probably to do with Nintendo just following suit with the gaming industry as a whole unfortunately, not just Iwata not being in charge.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's not the metric you usually think of from a customer's perspective. That's a metric for investors and it usually somehow correlates with questionable business practices.

Reactions: TheDerpyDolphin

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention the death of Iwata. Nintendo REALLY went downhill after his death.
Iwata was behind a lot of bone headed decisions for Nintendo, including but not limited to:
  • Blatantly ignoring fan outcry for a legitimate release of Mother 3 outside of Japan, including even Tomato offering his fan translation free of charge if it meant it would just effing come out
  • Holding on to star fox 2 for 22 effing years
  • Allowing japanese players to have all sorts of online functionality as far back as the Famicom, but refusing to do so anywhere else until the Wii
  • Sheltering the hardware designers of the WiiU to the point they didnt even know that xbox live and psn were a thing when interviewed, which pretty much set the bar for the quality of networking the console would come to have in its time in the market
  • "The ds and game boy line will continue on. We wont abandon the game boy."
  • "The home and portable market will continue on. We wont abandon either pillar just because of the Switch."
I'm tired of people pretending he was faultless when he clearly was not. An excellent programmer, sure. A business man? A leader? Not even.

Reactions: pietempgba

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
your only 2 days too late. good riddance to this guy it's because of him the ps5 is being beaten by a fucking tablet!
To be fair there was the pandemic and the Switch released way before the PS5 and is way cheaper.

Is like complaining the Wii sold more that the PS3.

Also the thing with the PS4 being so popular is that it still gets game releases and a huge software library so there isn't that much incentive to upgrade.

That being said Sony really has dropped the ball in recent years.

Edit: If PS5 exclusives get PC releases why get a PS5 if you have a PC good enough to play the games in PC?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto