PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 70.6 Million Units Worldwide

Discussion in 'PS4 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by T-hug, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:50 PM.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    SIE_logo.png
    Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced new sales milestones for PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation VR, virtual reality system, and PS4 and PS VR games.
    • PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 70.6M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017.
    • More than 617.8 million copies of PS4 games have been sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation Store as of December 3, 2017.
    • Based on strong momentum of PS4, PS VR cumulatively sold through more than 2M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017.
    • 150 titles have been released for PS VR, achieving more than 12.2 million copies sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation Store as of December 3, 2017.
    On the software front, PS4's portfolio will continue to expand with an array of games including God of War, Detroit: Become Human, Spider-Man, Shadow of Colossus, Dreams, Days Gone,Far Cry 5 (Ubisoft) and Monster Hunter: World (Capcom). Currently there are more than 130 highly anticipated games and video contents in development for PS VR to be launched by the end of 2018, including The Inpatient and Bravo Team, utilizing the unique VR experience.

:arrow:Source: GBAtemp Inbox

2. FatherFingLing

FatherFingLing Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2017
    Canada
    Toronto
    Omg thats amazing

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Goddamn, that's like 20 million more than I thought they'd have sold by now ._. Congrats to Sony.

4. Treeko

Treeko GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2012
    Sony is firmly in the driving seat this generation, great to see the ps4 still going strong.

whateverg1012 likes this.
  5. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Good news for them. Microsoft never really had a shot in the Asian markets, so they'll be lagging behind pretty significantly..

Congrats to Sony. Don't care for the Playstation name though.

6. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I wonder how many PSVRs were returned? They're not exactly the greatest of quality..

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    As ever I am curious how many of those are active consoles and how many were people getting a PS4k for no great reason. Failure rate seems low enough that we don't have to do a RRoD equivalent and media players seem ubiquitous enough that I have to wonder at the component going for that.

Also
    [insert switch fanboy baiting comment], link to http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo...ts-to-14-million-units-for-first-year.488137/
    Aw

Memoir likes this.
  8. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Well see. I'm content with how Nintendo is doing, but I can't forsee them matching Sonys pace at all.

9. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Sony is dominating this generation of consoles, period.

10. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    What do you mean "not exactly the greatest of quality"? I've had a blast with mine, and from what I've read online, others don't regret their purchase either.

Ysle29, Treeko and Memoir like this.
  11. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    They have been promoting their console pretty well. Hat goes off to them

12. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N I have graced this thread with my presence.

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Hell
    From what I've seen, the PlayStation 4 isn't quite the one-way battle the PlayStation 2 was, but it does seem like it's the predominant console of this generation. The Xbox One seems a bit boring, and the Wii U flopped. Not sure if the Switch counts for this generation, but even if it did, it doesn't have the base the PS4 does. At least, not yet.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I will one day have to look into the xbone and where it faltered.

Throughout the PS360 MS's offering held up well enough, and once the PS3 got out of its initial funk it was all much of a muchness. I can't imagine it is all the taint of the always on and kinect. Maybe it was that initial price.

Here though exclusives kind of mean something again (a pity from where I sit), though as it is not quite PS2 levels you can still get a reasonable show from the xbone.

14. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    A Microsoft console is redundant when the vast majority of gaming PCs run on Windows anyway. I'm probably not the only one that sees it that way. During the 360 era PC gaming was nothing special, it started really taking off toward the end of that. Sony had Soulslikes going into PS4, and I think that captured a lot of attention. Attention they managed to keep with just enough quality exclusives to string people along.

Basically, PS4 is doing something special software-wise, Switch is doing something special hardware-wise, PC is the best of all worlds (but not portable), and XB1 plays downgraded PC games.

Last edited by Xzi, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:51 PM
  15. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    I'm sensing the PS5 is going to be teased soon and the PS4 isn't even at its peak yet, IMHO.

16. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    PS4 Pro wasn't that long ago, and until sales drastically slow, there's no reason for them to introduce new hardware. I'm sure most of their sales are still PS4 anyway.

17. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Not sure we have the graphics leap to justify a new console generation yet. Sony would do better to take advantage of its huge installed base.

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Do you need the leap? Ease of programming could probably stand in.

19. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    So Sony should risk its momentum and start anew because "ease of programming" appeals to the customer? I thought the profit was in selling games, not consoles.

Doesn't make sense to me but whatever floats your boat.

DarthDub likes this.
  20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I dare say you missed where I was heading, though I suppose I was unclear.

As it stands one of us going and making a platformer that runs on a 16 bit console would be a serious feat, chuck one of the dozen PC game creators at us and we will be spending 90% of the time making levels.
    By similar token the PS360 saw games that would have looked stunning on the PS2 and xbox (doable but top tier company) and towards the end of that we saw the devs having to really hard optimise to make things fit in the paltry sum of memory and storage.
    Today I see something somewhat similar with the PS4 and xbone where people are spending the time to really optimise code, spend ages dicking around with shaders and all that other jazz. They bump the hardware up and any old dev then gets to play at that level and that could be a good thing.