PlayStation 4 OFW 9.00 Jailbreak released, can reportedly affect PS5 consoles as well

ps4-slim-and-pro-image-block-01-en-23jul20.png

There's a new PlayStation 4 exploit in town--PS4 scene developers have released pOOBs4, a new kernel exploit that affects consoles on firmware 9.0.0. According to the pOOBs4 GitHub page, this exploit functions a little differently from previous PS4 jailbreak methods; you'll need a dedicated USB drive with the jailbreak software, which you'll insert into the system at a specific time during the process. The hack can also work on the PlayStation 5, claims the team, but triggering it isn't possible yet, and they recommend that users don't try to mess with their PS5 consoles until more information is available on how it affects that system. Currently, any PS4 that is on OFW 9.0.0 or below is exploitable using this method.

In this project you will find an implementation that tries to make use of a filesystem bug for the Playstation 4 on firmware 9.00. The bug was found while diffing the 9.00 and 9.03 kernels. It will require a drive with a modified exfat filesystem. Successfully triggering it will allow you to run arbitrary code as kernel, to allow jailbreaking and kernel-level modifications to the system. will launch the usual payload launcher (on port 9020).

The instructions and jailbreak file itself can be downloaded from the source below. Useful homebrew tools Mira and GoldHEN have also been updated to work with this new version.

• You need to insert the USB when the alert pops up, then let it sit there for a bit until the ps4 storage notifications shows up.
  • Unplug the USB before a (re)boot cycle or you'll risk corrupting the kernel heap at boot.
  • The browser might tempt you into closing the page prematurely, don't.
  • The loading circle might freeze while the webkit exploit is triggering, this means nothing.
  • This bug works on certain PS5 firmwares, however there's no known strategy for exploiting it at the moment. Using this bug against the PS5 blind wouldn't be advised.

:arrow: Source

Wiki'd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi all,

Does anyone know how quick is Sony in updating new and unopened PS4/5 consoles from the factory with the latest OS software version?

I know Apple is very proactive with shipping latest iDevices with latest system software, but I just bought an extra Digital Edition PS5 (which is set to be shipped in a couple of weeks) and I am wondering if it will come with the current / latest PS5 software (Version: 21.02-04.50.00), or perhaps hopefully with the one that dates back prior to 1st of December (aka version: 21.02-04.03.00)?

Would highly appreciate any input!

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Went from 7.55 to 9.00 last night and can say this exploit works almost every time. Takes less time then most of the other Ps4 exploits to perform and just..... works. The VR headset insisted it needed an update so did that as well, all working perfectly.

Randy Steele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's so crazy how incredibly easy it's become to jailbreak modern consoles compared to all the hoops you'd have to jump through to jailbreak consoles way back in the day. The thing that took the longest was just updating to 9.0.0. Now I just can't wait for a permanent cfw. I knew zero about ps4 hacking until yesterday so I was unaware about there being nothing permanent yet but that's exactly how the Vita was for quite some time so I'm used to it. Now I just wish I had a ps4 pro instead lol.

dacore84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone knows if a brand new PS5 has to be activated online and updated on the initial setup like the Xbox One (maybe also XSX)? If that's the case I guess it doesn't matter which firmware it comes with if updating to 9.03 is mandatory to be able to use it.. Or am I wrong? Been a few years since I started a brand new Xbox but I think it had to be updated on the initial startup? But if that's the case I hope Sony hasn't used the same method.

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Anyone knows if a brand new PS5 has to be activated online and updated on the initial setup like the Xbox One (maybe also XSX)? If that's the case I guess it doesn't matter which firmware it comes with if updating to 9.03 is mandatory to be able to use it.. Or am I wrong? Been a few years since I started a brand new Xbox but I think it had to be updated on the initial startup? But if that's the case I hope Sony hasn't used the same method.
No you don't need to activate it online
I got a ps5 and can say so

Reactions: dacore84

dacore84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no need to activate as the licenses are being resigned as "free," if piracy is your interest.
Piracy? Why do you say that? I'm interested in homebrew. Are you saying I could potentially install homebrew on the latest FW and just piracy requires a specific FW? I thought the jailbreak needed a specifik FW no matter what kind of unsigned code you wanted to run?

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might get a ps4 just for this but I have a question, is the online bans similar to switch, like once you load this jailbreak once, will you get banned even if you don’t use it afterwards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ancientboi slept with Charles Babbage for a pc
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    And his was BIG 😱
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20kbps connection
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, That's what she said. :rofl2:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually they say 400 years ago 1cm was pretty average so Juan wouldn't feel left out
    +2
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    oh my...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs officials are closed on juneteenth guess it's fairly new became federal in 21:rofl2:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I figured you'd be down at the parade anyways.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I still own slaves just ask ancientboi his nicknames mister slave
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Poor Lemmiwinks...
  • ModernSithLord @ ModernSithLord:
    @BigOnYa Great episode, camp of tolerance
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thanks, we try to make every episode, special.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I saw a $15 south park bundle box at Walmart kinda wish I bought it
    +2
  • ModernSithLord @ ModernSithLord:
    I remember seeing the movie when I was young, made me swear up a storm when I got home. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm gonna buy it if I see it there tomorrow
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That beanie will look good on you, Kentman
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It would look better on urewife it would be like boning myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Started a new game last night called "The Quarry", pretty damn good. Feels/ looks like a movie. About a summer camp where local town folks go crazy and hunt down the campers.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I beat it when it first came out good playback ability
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's crazy is I have 3tb in my SeriesX , and its almost full. Of course with some of these games being over 150gb each, it don't take long.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I wish gamepass sold 12 month cards (with a discount), instead of 3 month only.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I wish gamepass sold 12 month cards (with a discount), instead of 3 month only.