Playstation 3 surpasses Xbox 360 in worldwide sales

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people keep bringing up shipments in a sales thread, when theres no mention of shipment at all? i could just as easily make the same argument in any sales thread, even though it has nothing to do with the thread anyway :glare:

AmmyT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people keep bringing up shipments in a sales thread, when theres no mention of shipment at all? i could just as easily make the same argument in any sales thread, even though it has nothing to do with the thread anyway :glare:

Because the actual quote is:

''Tucked within, according to Games Industry International, are console numbers for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as of December, 2012. “Sony’s PS3 managed to surpass the number of Xbox 360s shipped worldwide (about 77 million vs. 76 million), despite the PS3 launching a year later.” It’s important to note that these figures are shipped and not sold to consumers (though it‘s unlikely production is far in excess of perceived demand for either console). It’s also important to note that it’s unclear if these numbers were garnered straight from sources at Sony and Microsoft, or are part of IDC’s overall forecast.''

Reactions: chavosaur

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the actual quote is:

''Tucked within, according to Games Industry International, are console numbers for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as of December, 2012. “Sony’s PS3 managed to surpass the number of Xbox 360s shipped worldwide (about 77 million vs. 76 million), despite the PS3 launching a year later.” It’s important to note that these figures are shipped and not sold to consumers (though it‘s unlikely production is far in excess of perceived demand for either console). It’s also important to note that it’s unclear if these numbers were garnered straight from sources at Sony and Microsoft, or are part of IDC’s overall forecast.''
Thanks for pointing that out, thread titles a tad misleading then.

AmmyT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for pointing that out, thread titles a tad misleading then.

Nono, the title isn't misleading at all, the source posted does in fact say ''sales'' but about 90% of other gaming outlets i.e. IGN who I quoted has it as shipments. But I doubt both PS3 and XBox pick up 10million+ sales on Christmas anyway lol.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
It's gonna get more interesting when cobra usb is released to emulate the bluray. that way, even those on ofw will be able to run pirated games. We may see a few thousands ship even here in tanzania.
I think the ps3 is still able to spend a few years ahead with great sales.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's gonna get more interesting when cobra usb is released to emulate the bluray. that way, even those on ofw will be able to run pirated games. We may see a few thousands ship even here in tanzania.
I think the ps3 is still able to spend a few years ahead with great sales.
Weren't the drive keys the problem with newer consoles? IIRC you'd have to have a console with CFW installed before being able to update to latest OFW.

Well anyways, I could see this as a good thing for Sony. Not that far from the Wii, especially since Nintendo will start driving the WiiU more than the Wii. The Wii will probably do a PS2 with a long sales time, but just like the PS2, sales will go down over time. Especially with the Wii BC on the WiiU. A good console all in all!

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder, is that sales figure for the 360 including the new consoles people had to buy because their old one RRoD'd?
Seriously though, the PS3 is a pretty cool console, especially with PSN+ if you ask me. I'm not sure how it compares to the X360 as I've never used one, but whatever. The sales numbers are pretty close anyway.

I was just thinking the samething. My brother is on his 10th xbox 360 and I'm on my 7th. Each replacement bought because microsoft refused to fix/replace them. Each time they died shortly the warrenty was up. we each only replaced them cause of all the dlc and games we have. Next system, microsoft isn't getting my money. Neither is nintendo atm. they need an account system in place. Heard too many horror storys of losing dlc and eshop items even after sending the wii-u in for repair.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, too bad the Wii + the recently released Wii U ( two separate consoles just like the Xbox 360 / PS3 ) , outperformed both of them during, launch, life duration and end of life cycles.......;)

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just thinking the samething. My brother is on his 10th xbox 360 and I'm on my 7th. Each replacement bought because microsoft refused to fix/replace them. Each time they died shortly the warrenty was up. we each only replaced them cause of all the dlc and games we have. Next system, microsoft isn't getting my money. Neither is nintendo atm. they need an account system in place. Heard too many horror storys of losing dlc and eshop items even after sending the wii-u in for repair.
7 xboxs in the 7 years since release and every one of them just happened to die right after the warranty was up (xboxs only have one-year warranty?). Sounds legit.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^^Microsoft finally got it right with the slims. I have not had a problem with my 7th xbox, the slim model. Same goes with my brother's 10th xbox, also a slim. I can't be the only person who had to almost constantly replace his xbox 360. And my first 5 were all within the first 4 years of the xbox 360 being release. My sixth was beginning to die when I traded it in for brand new slim.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God I mean I have only had two consoles total die on me. On was my old PSP 1000 (which I bought used anyway) and the other was my old Vita (which fell and broke). What are you people doing to your consoles, playing in a dusty sauna? Jeez.

Reactions: Qtis

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consoles from bad patches? Badly stored by the retailers? Careless shipping people? I had 3 bad PS2 when they first launched. My rooms are kept cleaning enough to eat off of!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can