Hardware Playstation 3 Snes Controller Mod

Flo_o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all, just want to share a little project i did recently. It all started with looking for a good controller to play ps3 games. Maybe it sound a bit strange, but i am not a big fan of the genuine ps3 controller (or ps1/ps2), maybe because i grew up with Nintendo controllers but the main reason is the d-pad. If you play for example Mega Man 8 for a while with a genuine ps3 controller, my thumb gets really sore. So i looked for a snes like ps3 controller, wireless. The 8bitdo SF30 Pro is a perfect option, but does not work 100%. You have to sync it every time you power up your ps3, it syncs as a second controller because you have to sync your ps3 controller first, then you have to switch controller 1 and 2. Just too inconvenient, and also, a big problem is the missing home button. So no 8bitdo this time. After searching for a while, i stumbled on some 3rd party controllers from the brand WUIYBN. The controllers are totally 8bitdo rip offs but the cool thing is, they work with ps3 and are cheap. So i bought one SF30 Pro look-a-like.

getpubthumb

And guess what, the controller sucks. Well, the build quality is nice, a very sturdy shell, but the buttons are very clicky and unresponsive. I checked the rubbers and d-pad and what a mess. So i tried to swap parts with a original 8bitdo SF30 controller. But guess again, the controller is slightly bigger, so the d-pad, buttons and rubbers won't fit. So after a some brainstorming and testing, i found a perfect combination, mixing original snes controller parts with original ps3 controller parts. And what a difference, the controller feels really nice now and all the buttons are very responsive and i can finally play Mega Man Maverick Hunter X Remastered with a snes controller. Also, the controller looks way better now :)

getpubthumb

And here with the SN30 Pro.

getpubthumb

Last edited by Flo_o,

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Looking nice!

My experience is the opposite. The SNES dpad feels so mushy in comparison to the PS controllers, although PS4 got it a lot better (my fave dpad is the DSi and up, such a pleasant feeling)

But I'm glad you were able to find what you were looking for. I'll try a mod myself and see how it goes :)

Reactions: Flo_o

Flo_o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Looking nice!

My experience is the opposite. The SNES dpad feels so mushy in comparison to the PS controllers, although PS4 got it a lot better (my fave dpad is the DSi and up, such a pleasant feeling)

But I'm glad you were able to find what you were looking for. I'll try a mod myself and see how it goes :)
Thanks Necron! I like the PS4 controller also, it has a better feeling compared to the PS3 controller. DSi is nice indeed, and don't forget the vita. Yeah it's a fun mod and not that hard, always nice to tinker a bit with controllers.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you set that turbo mode to any button? And can you disable turbo afterwards?
Hi zfreeman, good question. I have tried the turbo function with several games but i can't get it to work on a PS3. Maybe it will only work on a pc, android device or switch, i have to test it. But it is an interesting controller for sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Laid at the party is fun unless you're in prison lol