Got an 8bitdo N64 mod kit

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I got my 8bitdo N64 controller mod kit. It comes with a Hall effect stick, a motherboard, and a rumble pack that has a battery, Bluetooth, and a few buttons the Switch has that the N64 controller doesn’t.

Installation was fairly easy and straightforward. It was my first time opening an N64 controller, and I was surprised at how wonky and toy-like it is compared with modern controllers.

I’ve so far only used it with Switch NSO. It pairs with the system and works great wirelessly. On the rumble pack are a ZR button, USB-C for charging and connecting, a sync button, and a couple of other buttons that on Switch are minus and screen shot.

The stick is significantly shorter than the OG stick, and that takes a little getting used to. It’s a lot smaller than a Hori Mini stick, and slightly smaller than a GCN stick. It’s also noticeably tighter than a GCN stick and snaps right to the center with no snap back. I haven’t played any FPS with it, and I suck at that genre so I’m not one to judge if it’s good for that, but I’ve heard that it’s not as good as an OG stick. It works great for Mario 64 and Banjo though, comparable in sensitivity to a Hori Mini, but with less play. I’ve heard it’s difficult to tiptoe/sneak with this controller on Mario 64, but that isn’t at all my experience.

The rumble is not particularly strong. OG N64 rumble paks are ridiculously strong. The 8bitdo rumble is weaker than a Pro Con, maybe more comparable with a JoyCon rumble. In addition, OG rumble paks add a lot of weight to the controller, but this does not.

Overall I’m very happy with it. Again, I don’t play FPSs, but for Mario and Banjo it feels great, and it’s nice to have the OG button layout.

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpeg
    IMG_1131.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1132.jpeg
    IMG_1132.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News