PlayStation 3 Hacking Lawsuit Hits a Snag‎

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
GeekyGuy said:
cwstjdenobs said:
GeekyGuy said:
Hacking isn't science.

Learn some of the history of the technology you are using to write this on before you come out with such bullshit please. You wouldn't have any of that technology without hackers, and Sony wouldn't have been able to make a PS at all. This is in no way condoning GeoHot's approach to releasing the info, but please don't put everyone who would call themselves a hacker in the same boat as people who only want piracy or game cheats. I'm pretty certain he isn't one of them.

Meh...you troll many of my posts, and once again, you've offered nothing truly relevant in response. It's not even subjective. Hacking IS NOT science.

That's all beside the point, of course. Even if we were to concede that hacking IS science, this case isn't about whether or not this guy had something useful to offer academia. He published private information that, unarguably, impedes Sony's ability to profit from their creation. That's an act specifically and enthusiastically protected by the United States government (which is the only law that matters right now).

Take your anger out on someone else, kid. If you want to discuss the matter logically, feel free to hit me up. Otherwise, don't bother.

To be fair, this would fall under Computer Sciences.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well it's bullshit that they'd try to force Hotz to fly to California. It doesn't matter if he posted stuff online where the sites are based in California. It should be common sense that you should go to court IN the state where the crime (i use that word lightly in this case [pun intended]) was committed.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I personally think, as i did with the nintendo wii system originally , that if Sony want to stop the hacking, its really up to them to plug the holes , in the same way as Nintendo have attempted to do.
If people have found flaws in their code , hardware or combination of both then then well done them and its not their fault that Sony missed the flaws or issues or bugs.

If a car manufacturer made a car and someone found out that kicking the bumper made the door open , do u think the car manufacturers would bring them to court for telling someone else about this issue ?
Its up to Sony to plug the hole and if they do , i would honestly be delighted for them , its up to anyone else interested to find more flaws and if they do that then hats off to them as well.

Hacking (a term which originally meant looking at code and was mixed up with cracking by hollywood) is a passtime for many and is not intrusive in a lot of cases - its just a curiousity about the code and how something works.

If someone can be sued for being curious then the worlds intellectual status has peaked and we are on a downhill mental spiral.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GeekyGuy said:
[highly subjective point of view]
Take your anger out on someone else, kid. If you want to discuss the matter logically, feel free to hit me up. Otherwise, don't bother.

I'm not angry. I'm not a kid either. But that's beside the point, please respond to my other points as well, rather than just quote mining.

EDIT the second. http://www.amazon.com/Hackers-Computer-Rev...4792&sr=8-1 grab that book or even just search hacker on wikipedia.

EDIT: And I'm sorry I didn't even know I'd responded to one of your posts before. I am not trolling, you seemed to have some interesting points on some things and I was hoping for a little conversation.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
cwstjdenobs said:
GeekyGuy said:
Hacking isn't science.

Learn some of the history of the technology you are using to write this on before you come out with such bullshit please. You wouldn't have any of that technology without hackers, and Sony wouldn't have been able to make a PS at all. This is in no way condoning GeoHot's approach to releasing the info, but please don't put everyone who would call themselves a hacker in the same boat as people who only want piracy or game cheats. I'm pretty certain he isn't one of them.

Meh...you troll many of my posts, and once again, you've offered nothing truly relevant in response. It's not even subjective. Hacking IS NOT science.

That's all beside the point, of course. Even if we were to concede that hacking IS science, this case isn't about whether or not this guy had something useful to offer academia. He published private information that, unarguably, impedes Sony's ability to profit from their creation. That's an act specifically and enthusiastically protected by the United States government (which is the only law that matters right now).

ComputerSciencesPlox.

Sony, you make me laugh. That's all I have to say.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Computer Science is the study of computers. Cryptography is a sub-field of computer science. Cryptography is the practice and study of hiding information, in which case, "encryption". The opposite of encryption is decryption, which could sum up, as a sub-field of CS, a practice and study of uncovering information. Isn't that what hacking is?

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't condone piracy. I don't like it one bit. Geohot said that he went through a lot of work to prevent piracy, and as far as I know, it didn't work out all that well. A pirate is NOT a hacker. A pirate is actually someone who takes the knowledge of a hacker and makes their own method. Geohot only jailbreaks. He only hacks. So far he hasn't pirated, though his works have lead up to it.

According to the princeton wordnet, WordNet Search - 3.0, there are 2 definitions of a hacker that pertain to this.
1. A programmer who breaks into computer systems in order to steal or change or destroy information as a form of cyber-terrorism
2. A programmer for whom computing is its own reward; may enjoy the challenge of breaking into other computers but does no harm; "true hackers subscribe to a code of ethics and look down upon crackers"

So far, Geohot hasn't performed cyber-terrorism. He has computed and broke into these systems to increase the functionality of the devices for everybody and not just himself. Someone who actually breaks into systems for malicious reasons is called a Cracker. I don't care what you think, Geohot hasn't tried to do things that would harm you. It is pirates and others who use his works for their own gains while harming you.

jorpor said:
I really hope Sony will find a way to fix this (even if it means bricking all PS3's with CFW), and I hope they will win this case (but I don't think they will).
Unfortunately, the only way to fix this, since the keys Geohot released where for the bootloader and therefor burned in the hardware and cannot be changed, they can only make a new system. As for bricking, that is illegal completely. If they brick their systems, they will suffer a massive lawsuit from every single ps3 owner, CFW or OFW. Sony bricking their ps3 would be like you buying a system already bricked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34