PlayStation 3 firmware update 4.83 now live

system-update-ps3-main-02-us-03nov14.png

Yes, you read right; the PlayStation 3 received a new firmware update. Version 4.83 is available to download for your PS3 systems at this time, offering more stability for your console. Full details are not known, in regards to what changes this makes to exploits or homebrew, so if you value keeping your system hacked, please do not update until more information is made available. The previous firmware, 4.82, was pushed late last year, on November 14, 2017, and the past three updates have purely been about increasing stability. If you enjoy incredibly stable PlayStation 3's, feel free to update.

Beginning October 11, 2018, we have started updating to update PS3® body functions. In this update, the system software version will be 4.83, and the following functions will be updated.

■ main function to be updated in version 4.83
  • In system software, stability of operation has been improved.

UPDATE: PS3exploit has been patched by the firmware and no longer works.

:arrow: Source

Pokem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm, this is interesting. Is Sony trying to outdo Nintendo by making the PS3 more stable than the 3DS. *insert stability joke here*

I actually thought PS3 was slowly being abandoned. Mine isn't truly hackable anyhow. I only used HAN to inject PS2 games. But it got annoying having to constantly reactivate HAN, so I abandoned it, and haven't played since.

And I can't add more games to it because my HDD is full, but I digress a lot.

YAY FOR STABILITY! </sarcasm>
If ur ps3 is abandoned and can inject ps2 games, then sell it to me :0

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Basically, Bluray decryption keys for a given Bluray player shouldn't change unless its key gets compromised, and even then it only affects the specific player/model that was compromised. :)
If a key is compromised, it gets revoked — meaning that player will no longer be able to read newly released Blurays.

I hope this is easier to understand. :)
In that case: I take back everything I said and claim the opposite :)

Reactions: Friendsxix
D

Deleted User

My han ps3 is mostly a retro machine anyway,and my rebug dex can still go online.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you explain your logic behind this?

well, sony recently re-patented backwards compatibility & stated they're working on a new console, so the logic goes:

Sony make PS5 (actually) backwards compatible with PS3 through similar emulation method xbox one uses for xbox 360, but instead of simply encapsulating it like MS have, they utilize a method of emulating firmware to run those images/discs, perhaps instead of vanilla universal system firmware it will be the 4.83 (+) updates in disguise so to give them unhackable "stability" from day one with this new system.

I highly doubt it would be for PS3 on PS4, more likely PS3 on PS5 due to hardware constraints.

VITA had PSP emulator = hacked via same PSP methods.

PS3 had PS1/2 emulation via hardware = removed. Homebrew worked.
PS3 PS1/2 emulation via software = hacked (cobra/mamba). Homebrew worked.

PS2 had PS1 mode, yada yada.

It’s pure conjecture BTW.

Reactions: chirogan and ctpOMG

ZachariasBarnham

Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If ur ps3 is abandoned and can inject ps2 games, then sell it to me :0

Only temporarily abandoned...

I will eventually upgrade the HDD so I can add more games to it, and I must also get an external HDD for my PS4 as well. I recently dug out my modded Wii after not touching it for two years, and I will eventually do the same here with my PS3 too.

Reactions: Pokem

krueger96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I knew this would happen eventually, luckily I already downloaded all the stuff i needed from my psn account.
Seems like 4.82 is the firmware to stay on for now, i hope 4.83 isn't unhackable though

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still waiting for PS3 Phats* to start being sold cheaply at garage sales. But, bring on that sweet, sweet stability Sony.

* Or PS2s. It's sort of amazing to me how a working used PS2 is commonly sold on ebay for around the same price as used PS3.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still waiting for PS3 Phats* to start being sold cheaply at garage sales. But, bring on that sweet, sweet stability Sony.

* Or PS2s. It's sort of amazing to me how a working used PS2 is commonly sold on ebay for around the same price as used PS3.

Good luck with that. Operational phats only ever seem to increase in price. I got mine when they were at their lowest second hand price (paid £60 for it with 10 games - and it's a backwards compatible model) - you'd be lucky to get a non-working one for that sort of price now.

PS2's are super-cheap - don't ever pay more than £20 for one - don't buy on ebay.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2's are super-cheap - don't ever pay more than £20 for one - don't buy on ebay.

That's the catch, really. There aren't a lot of local places that sell used consoles and those that do, I think, tend to calibrate their prices based on prices on ebay/Amazon. That's why I'm mostly relying upon garage sales (and possibly more generic thrift stores) although that does mean (probably) waiting several years. For example, I got an N64, two controllers, all hook-ups, and 10+ games for $20. There's no real rush on my end. It's more the thrill of a good deal (and the fun of hacking). :)

PS - It's one reason I also think it not entirely unlikely I'll see a BC model at some point. Especially if the PS5 (or whatever they call it) does end up having PS3 emulation, I can see a good many people being willing to sell their PS3 for dirt cheap, even if it's a working launch version. It's probably part of the reason less people are parting with their PS2.

Reactions: hurrz

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh this means I have to update my spoof again.

My Ps3 doesn't claim stability it only wants my commitment.

Closet Nerd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't touched my ps3 slim in months, yet the plastic still makes LOUD cracking noises and random times.

Talk about design flaw. :glare:

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

phat PS2s have a tendency to have a non-working drive. Beautifull thing is: you can get them dirt cheap because of that. Put in an HDD and install a softmod and you're good to go.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Basically, Bluray decryption keys for a given Bluray player shouldn't change unless its key gets compromised, and even then it only affects the specific player/model that was compromised. :)
If a key is compromised, it gets revoked — meaning that player will no longer be able to read newly released Blurays.

I hope this is easier to understand. :)

Right and obviously the ps3 player key is compromised every time a CFW is released, so they get revoked quickly.

well, sony recently re-patented backwards compatibility & stated they're working on a new console, so the logic goes:

Sony make PS5 (actually) backwards compatible with PS3 through similar emulation method xbox one uses for xbox 360, but instead of simply encapsulating it like MS have, they utilize a method of emulating firmware to run those images/discs, perhaps instead of vanilla universal system firmware it will be the 4.83 (+) updates in disguise so to give them unhackable "stability" from day one with this new system.

I highly doubt it would be for PS3 on PS4, more likely PS3 on PS5 due to hardware constraints.

The patent was applied for 2 years ago, for the work they did on the PSP HD remakes. They wrote it in a way that would encompass anything in the future, because that is what you try to do with a patent. However that doesn't mean they had plans at the time for PS3 on PS5, only that they wanted to make sure they were covered. If they'd said "this is for PSP" then someone else might claim that the patent was only for PSP.

Last edited by smf,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phat PS2s have a tendency to have a non-working drive. Beautifull thing is: you can get them dirt cheap because of that.

That was the plan, actually. I actually got a phat PS2 for $1 but unfortunately it only red lighted. :/ It did come with the network/hdd adapter, so it's just a matter of time. :)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I heard the vita tv is actually pretty decent with homebrew installed. i have to mod mine before it's too late

Vita is a under appreciated platform.
I love mine that's for sure!

Reactions: krueger96

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ZQhiwti-pK0?si=LTqU_S8Xm2fYnlQg