PlayStation 3 firmware update 4.83 now live

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 11, 2018 at 7:20 AM.

Front-page
    system-update-ps3-main-02-us-03nov14.png

Yes, you read right; the PlayStation 3 received a new firmware update. Version 4.83 is available to download for your PS3 systems at this time, offering more stability for your console. Full details are not known, in regards to what changes this makes to exploits or homebrew, so if you value keeping your system hacked, please do not update until more information is made available. The previous firmware, 4.82, was pushed late last year, on November 14, 2017, and the past three updates have purely been about increasing stability. If you enjoy incredibly stable PlayStation 3's, feel free to update.

UPDATE: PS3exploit has been patched by the firmware and no longer works.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (95 replies)
  1. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    fucking finally. My PS3 was wobbly as hell, now it sits stable next to my TV.

EDIT: BEWARE! I installed this update and my PS3 is still wobbly as shit. This did not increase the stability of my PS3, I think Sony might need to look into this further.

Last edited by Localhorst86, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:07 AM
  2. face235

face235 GBATemp's Official Lurker

Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    Beyond the 4th Wall
    Umm, this is interesting. Is Sony trying to outdo Nintendo by making the PS3 more stable than the 3DS. *insert stability joke here*

I actually thought PS3 was slowly being abandoned. Mine isn't truly hackable anyhow. I only used HAN to inject PS2 games. But it got annoying having to constantly reactivate HAN, so I abandoned it, and haven't played since.

And I can't add more games to it because my HDD is full, but I digress a lot.

YAY FOR STABILITY! </sarcasm>

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Marina is best waifu

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    But why though?

4. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    i need this as my ps3 lost a rubber footing on one side . . .

5. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 21, 2015
    United States

Seems relevant, if not common sense >.>

6. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
  7. hyguy

hyguy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2018
    United Kingdom
    So stable you could keep horses in it :)

8. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    I bet if Sony could update the PS1's firmware, they would.

Distant voice: playstation classic
    DOH!

9. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    Back before, in order to run new games, you had to update the PS3.
    At this point, there's no reason to update if there aren't any new games out, right?

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  10. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I feel like they’re retroactively securing a 12 year old console for a specific purpose, like it may in some way help them secure emulated ps3 in future... idk.

11. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    If you want to play new bluray movies you do, iirc. The Bluray encryption keys change regularly afaik, I do wonder though how long the PS3 will support new movies. Because for me, the PS3 is pretty much only a bluray player at this point, haven't played a game on it for years (mainly because the battery on my Dualshock 3 is emtpy and would need to be charged first )

Last edited by Localhorst86, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    Silent_Gunner and Friendsxix like this.
  12. Friendsxix

Friendsxix Introspective Potato

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Best Hemisphere
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken, each Bluray is encrypted with a key, and that key can only be decrypted with one of many vendor/device-specific keys (which I think varies by device, but many devices can share the same key... if that makes sense. So, for example, a specific model of Sony Bluray player could have a key shared by all other players of the same model). The idea is, if a key is compromised, it can be revoked. What this means is that a revoked key will be unable to decrypt new releases, but will of course be able to decrypt old releases just fine.

So unless the keys keep getting compromised, they shouldn't be changing. This is why really old Bluray players can play today's releases just fine. :)

I could be misunderstanding how it works, though. :P
    If you want to read more about it, check out this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System

Localhorst86 likes this.
  13. RedoLane

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    and....now in simple words?

14. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    your overthinking it . . . keys dont change often enough to worry

15. RedoLane

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    Oh, I see. well, I don't watch bluray movies on my PS3 anyway, so that isn't really relevant to me.

16. Friendsxix

Friendsxix Introspective Potato

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Best Hemisphere
    Basically, Bluray decryption keys for a given Bluray player shouldn't change unless its key gets compromised, and even then it only affects the specific player/model that was compromised. :)
    If a key is compromised, it gets revoked — meaning that player will no longer be able to read newly released Blurays.

I hope this is easier to understand. :)

17. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    nintendo released an update on one of their dead consoles (wiiu) so sony had to do the same :creep:

XDel and DaFixer like this.
  18. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Now it as stable as our economy with Putin

19. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    Keeping mine on 4.82 (Rebug) obviously - no reason to update... although, does 4.83 break PSN Store connectivity for non 4.83 systems? No great loss if it does, as I rarely use it.

I'd say that anyone with an original phat PS3 should be avoiding using it as a bluray player anyway - it's the biggest contributor to the overheating and failure of those older models.

loler55 likes this.