Hacking Playing games require MasterKey6 on lower Firmware

Scitzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, as long as you have a backup and you updated without burning fuses, you can restore the backup even if your switch is bricked.

Correction: if you updated without burning fuses and then continued to never do anything to cause your fuses to update after that point.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can we get back to the initial question - I always thought it was impossible to play titles that require a higher master key on lower FW? I am aware that you can for example patch the first Smash Bros updates to work on 5.1, but they still used master key 5 and not 6, they only required the console to be 6.2 which is exactly what the patching removes. .. But can you really make a game that works with master key 6, and absolutely requires 6.x, make work on 5.1? I didn't think this was possible, only patching out FW requirements when the necessary master key revision is still lower.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can we get back to the initial question - I always thought it was impossible to play titles that require a higher master key on lower FW? I am aware that you can for example patch the first Smash Bros updates to work on 5.1, but they still used master key 5 and not 6, they only required the console to be 6.2 which is exactly what the patching removes. .. But can you really make a game that works with master key 6, and absolutely requires 6.x, make work on 5.1? I didn't think this was possible, only patching out FW requirements when the necessary master key revision is still lower.
There's three possible things.

1) The game/update has a setting for the fw version it is told to require (by Nintendo setting it to the highest version at the time), there's literally no need for this except as a thing to make you update, it's what can be ignored when installing.

2) The game/update is encrypted with a particular masterkey, so the relevant firmware is necessary to decrypt it. This has been worked around by decrypting on computer with the right masterkey then re-encrypting with a lower masterkey so a lower firmware can open it. That was the basis of this thread.

3) The game/update actually uses functions that are only available in a newer firmware version. This has no easy bypass and would require hacking of the game code that nobody is likely to bother doing.

Last edited by hippy dave,

bytar

Holy Knight
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
2) The game/update is encrypted with a particular masterkey, so the relevant firmware is necessary to decrypt it. This has been worked around by decrypting on computer with the right masterkey then re-encrypting with a lower masterkey so a lower firmware can open it. That was the basis of this thread.

This causes corrupted nsp in my experience.

Reactions: hippy dave

mdmachine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NSC Builder works fine, I've used it. But like anything it could have a bug or two.

1. Try it again
2. Try it from another source (even if the current one works).
3. You have the proper keys?
4. The file in question straight up needs the FW it calls for.

JRoad

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's not that the nsp gets corrupted is just that the acid signature won't match so it needs the acid signature sigpatch wich kosmos doesn't load. The 4n sigpatches in pure atmos work fine for this, ReiNX works from the let go too and SX is the same.
As I always say if you don't know how to configure atmosphere I recommend a preconfigured pack like singularité, if not you can use ReiNX. Last option, of course it's to update to 6.2
Either way not all games\updates will work on 5.X, at least not without further patching.
About corruption my method is based on nut's titlerights-remove function so it'll require that specific sigpatch, just that.
BTW to make it work in kosmos the easier way is to put into the SDK the fusse primary and secondary from atmosphere and then configure hekate to launch the CFW trough fusee, but that's what Shadowhand does in his distro\pack.
https://github.com/RShadowhand/singularite/releases

Last edited by JRoad,
Reactions: hippy dave

bytar

Holy Knight
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's not that the nsp gets corrupted is just that the acid signature won't match so it needs the acid signature sigpatch wich kosmos doesn't load. The 4n sigpatches in pure atmos work fine for this, ReiNX works from the let go too and SX is the same.
As I always say if you don't know how to configure atmosphere I recommend a preconfigured pack like singularité, if not you can use ReiNX. Last option, of course it's to update to 6.2
Either way not all games\updates will work on 5.X, at least not without further patching.
About corruption my method is based on nut's titlerights-remove function so it'll require that specific sigpatch, just that.
BTW to make it work in kosmos the easier way is to put into the SDK the fusse primary and secondary from atmosphere and then configure hekate to launch the CFW trough fusee, but that's what Shadowhand does in his distro\pack.
https://github.com/RShadowhand/singularite/releases

singularite pack doesn't boot after atmosphere logo for me.

JRoad

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
singularite pack doesn't boot after atmosphere logo for me.
Yeah, I know. You could try atmosphere though. With atmosphere the patches are dragg and drop.
There's also ReiNX I always liked ReiNX.
Was just trying to say it's not really a corruption issue. Kosmos Team have their reasons to not include that patch, I don't agree with them but I accept it. It can be worked around by changing Hekate to use the fusee payload in the config but there's also other solutions.

Last edited by JRoad,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice