What is a Master Key?

Marcell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I ran across NSP files which have accompanying NFO files describing the requirements. This NFO usually contains the minimum firmware version to run the game, but I also noticed that they also often mention a "Master Key version" as well, like Master Key v14.0 or Master Key v16.0. Can someone explain what this means? Let's assume I am planning to run the games on physical hardware (with Atmosphere). Is this Master key something I would also need to obtain and install, similarly to the sigpatches?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Master key is a key used to decrypt NCAs inside NSP files, it's updated every few FW updates. It is an info that you won't be able to install some NSP unless you have FW version containing correct master key to decrypt it. All old keys are still stored in FW, so it's not like by installing new FW you won't be able to install older NSPs.

So if you are on the newest FW, you don't need to worry about anything.

Last edited by masagrator,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Okay, thanks for the explanation!
It's also important to know for emulators. Emulators don't come with the keys, so you need a prod.keys file (dumped from a real Switch or found online) to play games, which contains the master keys (but only the keys up to the firmware which it was dumped from)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...