Tutorial  Updated

Play with your Gamecube Controller in your 3DS (without hardmod)

Note: You can use any controller, but this tutorial will only describe the steps to do it with a gamecube controller + official gamecube controller adapter. Anyway, only the first step is related with the controller. The other steps are the same for every controller.

Special thanks to Stary2001 and @KazoWAR for this awesome tool.

Requirements:
Recomended:
Steps:
1. Install the driver of the Official gamecube controller adapter in your pc (there's a lot of tutorials on the internet, so please google) and run it.
2. Configure Xpadder (It's pretty easy with a noob-proof GUI). Remember the keys you choose for each button.

Now you have to choose an option

NTR CFW (recommended - better compatibility )
3. In your 3DS install InputRedirectionNTR.cia.
4. Run NTR CFW, press X+Y and select "Enable Debugger"
5. Run the installed CIA.

Homebrew Launcher (not recommended - worse compatibility)
3. In your 3DS install InputProc.cia and put the 3ds folder in the root of your sd card In
4. Run The Homebrew Launcher and launch input_loader.
5. Press start and then x to return to the home menu

6. Now in your PC, go to the PC Client and open InputRedirection NTR.exe (InputRedirection .exe if you chose the HBL option)
7. Press F1 to set your 3DS IP address (use wireless network watcher or ftpbrony to know it) and then ESC
8. Press F2 to set the key for each button of your 3ds (you can use Xpadder to remember what keys you used for the gamecube controller). To do it, first you have to press the pre-selected key, and then press the new key for each button. Once you're ready press ESC.
9. Test the controls (also, you can press F4 to show debug information).
10. Enjoy

Proof:

Last edited by Intronaut,

Mentaloo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Anyone have a reliable method of c-stick mapping? The one posted earlier in the thread isn't working well.

I'll get random aerials in smash. So sometimes it'll give me the up-air that i put in but a lot of times it'll just default to f-air or n-air
just don't use c-stick for now, you can do aerials the good ol' way

Cream Soda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just screws me up because it's muscle memory at this point. I have about 700+ hrs into smash wii u, so it's not necessarily easy to unlearn (Only even interested in this to play with my small group of friends who don't have wii u lol)

But still can't walk at this point, so that alone makes it unplayable. Got a tip to use mouse emulation on xpadder, but you can only map to the keyboard with redirect, so while that'd work in general for the GC controller, it won't here for us on the 3ds.

Mentaloo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It just screws me up because it's muscle memory at this point. I have about 700+ hrs into smash wii u, so it's not necessarily easy to unlearn (Only even interested in this to play with my small group of friends who don't have wii u lol)

But still can't walk at this point, so that alone makes it unplayable. Got a tip to use mouse emulation on xpadder, but you can only map to the keyboard with redirect, so while that'd work in general for the GC controller, it won't here for us on the 3ds.
we need to use something else than xpadder then and it only took 2 days to get used to not use the c-stick for me, it's not essential

Cream Soda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the thing for me is that I still play wii u as well.

If I were to go to 3ds exclusively, I can get used to it. But when I play for an hour on 3ds, then go and play for 4hrs on wii u w/ my proper button layout, it's not a great mix.

But that's just the minor issue. I'd just deal w/ it if I could get the joystick working. You play smash so I'm sure you know how essential that is to spacing, f-tilt, mix ups in approach and punish options, etc.

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This needs a terminate function. Home menu async shutdown will kill it eventually but it takes longer to shutdown

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the InputRedirection PC Client, the UDLR keys stops working after a while, until restarting the program. Dunno if it happens for everyone.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

karising

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi, I'm using N3DSXL Jap version, firmware 9.2, Gateway 3DS ver3.71 + BootNTR 2.4
Unable to use InputRedirectionClientNTR to control my N3DSXL my keyboard or X360 controller.
Anyone have the same problem? My wifi router is dedicated for PC & N3DS connection only.

My PC system is Win8.1, connected to wifi router via LAN cable.

Thanks.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm using N3DSXL Jap version, firmware 9.2, Gateway 3DS ver3.71 + BootNTR 2.4
Unable to use InputRedirectionClientNTR to control my N3DSXL my keyboard or X360 controller.
Anyone have the same problem? My wifi router is dedicated for PC & N3DS connection only.

My PC system is Win8.1, connected to wifi router via LAN cable.

Thanks.
Are you using Xpadder to map the keys to the controller?

karising

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Are you using Xpadder to map the keys to the controller?
I didnt use Xpadder for x360 controller, i think keyboard doesnt need Xpadder?
InputRedirectionClientNTR detected my keyboard and xbox 360, the F4 debug screen showed button and direction.

Cream Soda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt use Xpadder for x360 controller, i think keyboard doesnt need Xpadder?
InputRedirectionClientNTR detected my keyboard and xbox 360, the F4 debug screen showed button and direction.
When you press f2 to actually map the buttons though, the xbox 360 controller does nothing (I have one)

You can only map the 3ds controls to a keyboard; aka you're going to need a mapping program

karising

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
When you press f2 to actually map the buttons though, the xbox 360 controller does nothing (I have one)

You can only map the 3ds controls to a keyboard; aka you're going to need a mapping program

If I just want to use keyboard to control the 3ds, do i need any mapping program?

karising

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Nope. It has built in keyboard support. Doesn't have built in controller support.

No xpadder or etc. required if you intend on using the keyboard
Can't make the keyboard working... I have no problem getting NTRviewer to display on my pc monitor.
I thought it will be easy for the inputredirection ...

Actually InputRedirection come with controller setting for X360 controller.
Just press F3, you able to setup your X360 controller.
Untitled.png

Last edited by karising,

Cream Soda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't make the keyboard working... I have no problem getting NTRviewer to display on my pc monitor.
I thought it will be easy for the inputredirection ...

Actually InputRedirection come with controller setting for X360 controller.
Just press F3, you able to setup your X360 controller.
View attachment 58055

Oh wow nvm I stand corrected. I just tried it and my 360 controller works. I'd prefer gc controller, but any controller is better than the 3ds controls.

No c-stick support but I can work around that. The analog sensitivity is here. I can actually both walk and dash

JokeTriple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I use the gamepad option with a Gamecube controller to PC adapter, or is it ONLY the Wii U adapter?

Also, c-stick support would be awesome. As a N3DS user, I kind of miss using it.

Last edited by JokeTriple,

Mentaloo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If I just want to use keyboard to control the 3ds, do i need any mapping program?
it's a possibility but I wouldn't recommand it tbh

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh wow nvm I stand corrected. I just tried it and my 360 controller works. I'd prefer gc controller, but any controller is better than the 3ds controls.

No c-stick support but I can work around that. The analog sensitivity is here. I can actually both walk and dash
Wait how did you do it?

Cream Soda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
f3 instead of f2

Mapping controls will come up. Tap on 360 controller to prompt a change. Type in the latter that represents the button (A for A, L for left trigger, R for right trigger, etc.) but unless you want custom controls it should already be mapped correctly to begin with

Mentaloo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
f3 instead of f2

Mapping controls will come up. Tap on 360 controller to prompt a change. Type in the latter that represents the button (A for A, L for left trigger, R for right trigger, etc.) but unless you want custom controls it should already be mapped correctly to begin with
So it's not possible to tweak sensitivity using a gc controller?

Cream Soda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's not possible to tweak sensitivity using a gc controller?
Correct. The 360 support is built in. I unplugged my 360 controller and tried using my GC controller and the f3 menu doesn't respond to it at all in any way shape or form

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9