1. 4,221

Front-page
    Back in January, we heard that Tencent would be investing in PlatinumGames, allowing them to self publish their own games.

Now the company has revealed Project G.G:

“Unlike any of the games we’ve made so far, it’s going to be a 100 percent Platinum Games title. For everything from its setting and characters, to its game design and story, to how it’s promoted–Platinum Games is in full control.” - director Hideki Kamiya.

Hello, everyone. PlatinumGames chief game designer Hideki Kamiya here.

It’s my honor today, at long last, to announce an all-new, all-original project from PlatinumGames. In the fourteen years since we founded this company, we’ve worked towards the dream of making and releasing a game based on a Platinum intellectual property. Now, we’re finally stepping up to that starting line.

What makes this new title different from what we’ve done before? Let me explain a bit, because I’m sure you’ll agree that this is a giant step for PlatinumGames!

We’ve made a wide variety of games throughout our history, sometimes based on existing properties, like NieR:Automata; sometimes wholly original stories, like Bayonetta and ASTRAL CHAIN. Our work has found a core of passionate fans who trust us to deliver high-quality action games.

But PlatinumGames has thus far only been a developer. That means we make the games, and that’s it. All of our titles up until how have been made under contracts, with cooperation and funding from the publishers who distribute them.

Of course, everyone at Platinum and I are extremely grateful for the relationship that we’ve made with all of you through the games we’ve made so far. But ultimately, all of those games belong to publishers. Any and all decisions about how those games are promoted, how their content is used, and so on, are entirely up to the publisher.

As a creator, it’s hard not to think of my games as my children. After all, it takes a lot of hard work to raise them up, and a lot of love, too. However, once they’re done, any choices about them are entirely out of my hands. So, for example, no matter how many times people tell me, “You should make a sequel to this game,” or, “I’d love to see it on that console,” there’s nothing I can do about it.

Which brings us to Project G.G. (that’s just a working title, by the way). Project G.G. is different. Unlike any of the games we’ve made so far, it’s going to be a 100% PlatinumGames title. For everything from its setting and characters, to its game design and story, to how it’s promoted – PlatinumGames is in full control.

Of course, that has its downsides, too. We’ll be taking on new risks that we’ve never had to assume before as a contracted developer. Having full control over the Project G.G. IP gives us a ton of freedom, but also a ton of responsibility. Still, I think we can harness that sense of responsibility and turn it into motivation to make Project G.G. the best game it can be.

Like I said before, with Project G.G., we’re stepping up to a starting line. The finish line is still a long way away. But I know I’m looking forward to running the race! I hope you’ll cheer us on.

And if you’d like to join us at Platinum as we start out on this new endeavor, I sincerely hope you’ll take a look at our jobs page and see if there’s a position that’s right for you.

On behalf of the Project G.G. team and all of PlatinumGames, thank you for your support!

rjj34nm0scwjlulkmbp9.jpg qvccncmgu1xgttcx9krx.jpg x1lvooc7kaygvn4qe1ez.jpg
    No release date or platforms were announced.

:arrow: PlatinumGames Official Site

2. Discussion (30 replies)

3. Torina

Torina GBAtemp Regular

France
    Platinum studio, overwhelmingly talented developers that never take themself too seriously.
    Their games never cease to amaze me, they deserve waaay more recognition (I'm having more fun in MG Revengeance, its cheese and rocking OST than mgs5 and its postmodern philosophy and constant antinuke preaching...).

But I'm afraid kaijus and sentai stuff are too niche for the international market. I hope they will perform well.

4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    so just Ultraman basically. bet it will be some lame button masher monster fighter i'm not hyped one bit.

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Feb 27, 2020
    yoyoyo69 likes this.
  5. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    well there are good kaiju fighting games like godzilla destroy all monsters melee, if they can nail something like that then it might be good, but it wont be a normal platinium game imo.

TheDarkGreninja likes this.
  6. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Why the fk am I looking at a dog and not a horse :lol:

7. torrent_get

torrent_get Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Pacific Rim was a big hit in Asia at least the first film.

8. James_

James_ pretty much the only Meowstic on GBAtemp

United Kingdom
    He saved the dog

John Wick is proud

Xzi likes this.
  9. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    Love the humor and the throwback to the 60s style one liners.

10. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

United States
    As usual I'd prefer if they had shown more gameplay, but I will admit that's one of the better teaser trailers I've seen. It's also neat that Platinum has grown large enough to develop two games at once (this and Babylon's Fall).

11. FGFlann

FGFlann GBAtemp Fan

GG no re

IncredulousP likes this.
  12. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Viewtiful Joe...

Anyway, I wonder if you will be able to fight as both the little guy and the robot. Also, being able to switch at anytime.

13. wartutor

wartutor GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Kind of looks like ant man better watch it or they goin to have marvel lawyers on there ass lol.

14. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Cyber Kaiju Sentai Scalebound?

15. RedoLane

RedoLane Unemployed Punmaster

Israel
    Wow, getting some strong Ultraman vibes here.
    At this pace, Kamiya will give tribute to the entirety of Tokusatsu media!

aMp likes this.
  16. Evan57

Evan57 Newbie
    Newcomer

France
  17. kikongokiller

kikongokiller Dust2#9629

Australia
    That was actually a really cool teaser, definitely makes me wanna keep an eye out on what becomes of this.

Bonus points for saving the cute lil' doggy

18. JuanMena

JuanMena GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    URUTORAMAN URUTORAMAN... SEBUN!

19. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Developer | Artist | Trans

United States
    Have you never played a Platinum games game? Clearly you're uneducated lmao

Red_Soldat likes this.
  20. Plasmaster09

Plasmaster09 Social Justice Potato

United States
    Two and a half- Wonderful 101 Remastered!

Xzi likes this.
  21. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    Plus bayonetta 3, and they still have two unannounced things (the old "four" teaser website shows Project G.G. as the second out of the four).

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlatinumGames, reveals, Project