Hideki Kamiya will be leaving Platinum Games

F61m7ZHagAA5PJD.jpg

Famous video game designer, director and writer, Hideki Kamiya, known for works such as directing popular Capcom games like the original Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, and most recently Bayonetta, has announced his departure from Platinum Games, effective on October 12th, 2023.

Platinum Games was founded way back in 2006 by major Capcom employees Atsushi Inaba, Shinji Mikami and Hideki Kamiya, under a different brand name then known as "Seeds, Inc.". Kamiya has remained ever since in the company since and it was known on September 25th, 2023 through Platinum Game's official Twitter account that Hideki Kamiya will now be leaving the company to yet undisclosed reasons. Shinji Mikami, who was one of the founders of Platinum Games but has since left and founded Tango Gameworks in 2010, also announced his departure from said company (Tango Gameworks) earlier this year.

Given their history together, it's still unknown if Kamiya and Mikami could be working on another studio together, but it remains to be seen.

:arrow: Source

lurkerer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Based as fuck. He was talking to braindead people who harassed him over the Bayonetta 3 allegations that Platinum wasn't paying fairly their actors despite the fact that those claims were already completely crazy to begin with.

People literally thought that somehow, Jennifer Hale was less expensive than Helena Taylor. People just don't think about anything and jump on whatever bandwagon when somebody calls them for « social justice », the urge of feeling like you're doing something good is more powerful than actually making sure you're doing the good stuff.

I do think Platinum can do very fine without him and that he can do very fine without Platinum, but I do wonder about the motivations behind the separation
Exactly,

Salute Kamiya, your games were fire. May you make fire again in the future.

Reactions: LightBeam

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
You're wrong, though.

The blocking thing happened WAY before the VA debacle. He was like this from the get-go.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You're wrong, though.

The blocking thing happened WAY before the VA debacle. He was like this from the get-go.
Yes but why is that an issue. I was talking about the banner and how he said stuff like « you insects », he can block whoever tf he wants, he doesn't owe you anything.
You said he insults all his foreign fans in his banner, and again that's just not true. He was talking to all the people who came after him after the VA debacle. I don't feel insulted because I'm not braindead and haven't jumped on the hype train of harassement without verifying the wild claims that were made. If you feel targeted then that's on you, and I know that some do feel like they can say whatever they want to public figures but aren't ready to get hit back and I find that so funny.
Besides, sorry, but - English is the lingua franca of the modern world. You can rage all you want, but that is just a fact. My native language is not English, by the way.
It is but who cares, it's not mine either. But if people still want to talk japanese or whatever, that's their prerogative. It's not like translators weren't a thing in 2023 so if you really want to interact with the guy that could be an option. I don't understand why you would ask the guy to translate each english tweet he receives, why aren't you willing to translate your tweets yourself if it's easier for somebody who receives thousands of tweets every day ?
What if he doesn't want to ignore non japanese comments ? Why is somebody who just wants to operate the thing the way he wants such an issue ? It's not even that important really. He stated that he blocks non japanese tweets, questions already answered and stuff like that and given the sheer amount of stupidity available for free on Twitter, I just can't blame the guy for policing his space the way he wants even if it's in an extreme way.

Last edited by LightBeam,
Reactions: duwen

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
You posited that he "was talking to braindead people who harassed him over the Bayonetta 3 allegations".

Well, for one, calling people "braindead" is not behaviour that everyone can appreciate, either. And, just for the record, I thought the VA boycott thing and harassing Kamiya was wrong. I didn't jump on the "hate bandwagon" either. I personally never interacted with the man at all, nor played any of his games.

But, the reasoning in your initial post, as I said, entirely misrepresented the issue. He talks this way to regular fans who come to his Twitter for a variety of reasons, including just to tell him that they liked his game. The banner existed before the VA thing happened. How anyone can call the man "based" because he got undeserved hate for a particular issue is beyond me. The fans aren't "owed" anything, but people in general do deserve a modicum of respect.

Last edited by skawo,

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, for one, calling people "braindead" is not behaviour that everyone can appreciate, either
I think I got misunderstood, I was referencing Kamiya's online behavior and the fact that some say it's based and some don't. Also I never implied you were part of that bandwagon and therefore never meant to call you personally braindead, hope that clear things up and sorry if there was any confusion.

The banner existed before the VA thing happened.
My bad on that one, I thought he started to call people insects only after that.

How anyone can call the man "based" because he got undeserved hate for a particular issue is beyond me.
It's really not that complicated and that's in part because he allows himself to be insulting to some people. I guess you're going to disagree but that's totally fine.

The thing purely resides on the fact that he handles his socials the way he wants in a manner that is sure totally weird and unusual, but he still does it because that suits him. It's based because it's really on the opposite of what a PR team would do.
From what I can see, he started to call people insects when he already stated his « rules » about not talking in english and stuff, and he got mad at people for not reading and just posting.

So I can definitely see how he could interpret that as a form of disrespect even tho I wouldn't feel the same way he does. I personally think I'm not one to say to somebody what they should interpret as respect or not, especially not somebody who literally lives at the other side of the planet. So sure, he doesn't seem « respectful », but maybe it's because he thinks that most people don't respect him that much either.

Now one would probably say that it's because of his insufferable rules or calling fans insects or it could be the opposite and honestly, I don't really care which started what, my opinion is that it's really not a big deal anyway and there's no really matter to feel insulted, but I can respect one's sensibility. Personally I don't even interact with the guy since he seems pretty heated, I don't want to translate each tweet he posts and I don't want to translate mines either. I'd rather avoid the fire than burning myself and blaming it for not being cold enough.

Tldr : He's based because he's « unusual » and basically says whatever tf he wants.

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Tencent Holdings supplied capital investment into Platinum in January 2020. It's unclear how much they actually control of the company. It's possible that could be part of the reason that Hideki is leaving.
ohhh that makes sense.
I'd leave if Tencent controlled my company too.

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Kamiya and Linus Torvalds both are rude and dont want to deal to newbies.Linus prefer to say this :

"Words are cheap,show me your code" if you show bad code he transforms in hulk and smash you with %&&@% words and the other hand Kamiya if you dont follow his rules ...he will get angry and blocked you in X (twitter) social.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
hey is that the dude that is known for blocking people on twitter and whatnot despite making great and unique games like Veautiful Joe, Okami, and whatnot?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: 40*