Hideki Kamiya will be leaving Platinum Games

F61m7ZHagAA5PJD.jpg

Famous video game designer, director and writer, Hideki Kamiya, known for works such as directing popular Capcom games like the original Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, and most recently Bayonetta, has announced his departure from Platinum Games, effective on October 12th, 2023.

Platinum Games was founded way back in 2006 by major Capcom employees Atsushi Inaba, Shinji Mikami and Hideki Kamiya, under a different brand name then known as "Seeds, Inc.". Kamiya has remained ever since in the company since and it was known on September 25th, 2023 through Platinum Game's official Twitter account that Hideki Kamiya will now be leaving the company to yet undisclosed reasons. Shinji Mikami, who was one of the founders of Platinum Games but has since left and founded Tango Gameworks in 2010, also announced his departure from said company (Tango Gameworks) earlier this year.

Given their history together, it's still unknown if Kamiya and Mikami could be working on another studio together, but it remains to be seen.

:arrow: Source

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He wasn't rude, but direct (like the Dutch are) Americans are sensitive to directness (me not included) so something "direct" could be seen as "rude" :rofl2:
A bit overly direct. Back when I was on Twitter he had me blocked before I had ever even interacted with him.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
She has no place at Bayonetta games. Don't we already enough ugly female protagonists at modern video games?
Her?

viola-bayonetta-3-1666982121338.jpg

She looks she'd be great for a trucking game. Hell, I'd not mind a new 18 Wheeler sequel.

Post automatically merged:

What was even the purpose of her existence at this game? A representation for the bitches who whine about Bayonetta being too sexualized for them?
Just yesterday I watched this clip of these Dutch fellas, didn't understand a word, but it was kinda obvious what was going on.

Dutch sounds like distorted English in a way, and hot dang she's gorgeous!

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I haven't really been a huge Platinum Games fan - I tried Wonderful 101 and Astral Chain, but never did get all that far into them, as I got bored and moved onto other games. I have watched the entirety of Metal Gear Rising, but don't have the desire to actually play it.

Anything else...Nier Automata's a Platinum game? Huh. Also didn't get far into that; too bleak for my liking. MadWorld was long before I was aware of Platinum's existence, and is a Wii game, so no. Bayonetta - I don't really like playing as a female character, so not my thing. Star Fox Zero was a Platinum game too? Oof, ouch. Babylon's Fall is one they likely wish everyone would forget about, and everyone pretty much has.

So yeah, I don't like Platinum's library - though it is sad that Kamiya, who was practically the face of Platinum as far as I know, is leaving now. Hopefully his next endeavours turn out well.

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
With Yamane as VP, Platinum can go all-in to Nintendo. Maybe they can make a pure action game Zelda. With enough budget and help from EPD and MonolithSoft, the game can surpass the abomination called FFXVI.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
With this news I won't be at all surprised if we hear of a Platinum buy-out in the not-too-distant future (I'm sure MS were after them a while back)... hopefully Kamiya will carry on the ethos of Platinum in whatever his new endeavours are.
If I have a penny for everytime MS poach a Nintendo third party developer I would have two.

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i am guessing this has somethng to do with how long his games are Left in development Hell
he has already left Capcom and Clover to from his STUDIO Platinum Games, and since the studio transformed into a big coorperation they no longer produced the Quality games they were known for
plus he didnt direct Bayonetta 2,3
RIP Project G.G.
there is no Loss here, the studio last work was the battle system in Final Fanatsy 16

was he active in Directing a new game after Bayonetta 1?
Notable Works:

1998 Resident Evil 2 Director
2001 Devil May Cry Director, story
2003 Viewtiful Joe Director
2006 Ōkami - Director, story
2009 Bayonetta - Director, story
2017 ScaleBound - Director, story [Cancelled]
TBA Project G.G.Director

i am sure if he had control over his company then Star Fox Zero, Babylon's Fall, Transformers: Devastation would never have existsed

they should Delete the word Platinum after Ceresa and the other medicore games they are producing now

Last edited by ZER-O,

Deleted member 672055

Trophies
XP
What was even the purpose of her existence at this game? A representation for the bitches who whine about Bayonetta being too sexualized for them?
why be so fucking butthurt man? personally nothing wrong with her design, she's a nice contrast to the feminine Bayonetta, but you prefer to gawk like a fucking baby

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta love the mental acrobatics of some people here. This guy is a beligerent twat, plain and simple.
I... kinda have to agree with this...
I don't think he's being direct, he's kinda being a douche if he's blockin' people for absolutely no reason lmao

Edit: I found this in the comment section of the article depaul posted and uh...

Context:

Hideki Kamiya has had a list of "Rules" on his twitter Bio page for a long time. Rule breakers get blocked. Two of those rules include not interacting with him in a language that isn't Japanese and not telling him how to make games. When word got out on twitter that Bayonetta's english voice actress got recast because she wouldn't accept relatively low wages people started mentioning Kamiya in other languages and telling him to give the old VA a raise and another chance. Technically they were breaking his language and critique rules so he started blocking people like crazy until twitter froze his account thinking he got hacked. Obviously, no one checks the Bio before mentioning someone so Kamiya's gotten a reputation as an unhinged game dev who can't take criticism.

I gotta be honest, I can kinda understand the rule of having people not tell you how to make games when you're a game dev, because that gets toxic real quick but what the f* is that rule about not interacting in any language other than Japanese? For at least English does he not have a basic grasp of it because he seems to have posted from what I've seen in English quite a bit. I mean c'mon, you gotta know you have fans all over the world and imo that still puts him as an unhinged game dev lol

Reactions: skawo

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...but what the f* is that rule about not interacting in any language other than Japanese? For at least English does he not have a basic grasp of it because he seems to have posted from what I've seen in English quite a bit. I mean c'mon, you gotta know you have fans all over the world and imo that still puts him as an unhinged game dev lol

What you're saying comes across as ridiculously entitled. Any sort of public figure on any social platforms shouldn't (and wouldn't) google-translate every single comment/retweet that's in a language they don't understand - I mean, ffs, how many responses does the dude get to anything he posts? If you got that many responses to anything you posted in a language that you're not fluent in, would you spend your days translating it all?
Granted, blocking everyone is a tad extreme, but the guy's free to operate his socials however he sees fit - the same as anyone else is.

The internet's become a massively contradictory space over the past few years; you can get cancelled for not using someones preferred pronouns, but if you ask that people communicate in your native tongue you're a beligerent twat?!

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you're saying comes across as ridiculously entitled. Any sort of public figure on any social platforms shouldn't (and wouldn't) google-translate every single comment/retweet that's in a language they don't understand - I mean, ffs, how many responses does the dude get to anything he posts? If you got that many responses to anything you posted in a language that you're not fluent in, would you spend your days translating it all?
Granted, blocking everyone is a tad extreme, but the guy's free to operate his socials however he sees fit - the same as anyone else is.

The internet's become a massively contradictory space over the past few years; you can get cancelled for not using someones preferred pronouns, but if you ask that people communicate in your native tongue you're a beligerent twat?!
Ehh, what I'm trying to say there is that it's extreme to block someone for not knowing your native tongue. You can't expect people to know Japanese especially since that's a hard language for westerners to learn. Plus English is a pretty universal language since a lot of things use English such as website URL's as an example. (or the alphabet for stuff that's romanized for Japanese sites)
He can't expect everyone to know and much less speak Japanese fluently and it seems he just wants Japanese people to comment on his page like bro what... WE have to google translate everything we want to say to him? Not to mention like someone posted here his banner is full of him posting comments in English; whether google translated or not.

Reactions: skawo

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
What you're saying comes across as ridiculously entitled.
Are you for real, dude? Kamiya wants the entire world to only speak in Japanese to him. How is THAT not entitled?

I get not wanting to deal with translating the comments, but... just ignore them, then? What do you think would happen when people noticed that he responds to Japanese comments only? He'd get his wish without being a massive dick about it.

Besides, sorry, but - English is the lingua franca of the modern world. You can rage all you want, but that is just a fact. My native language is not English, by the way.

You're right, he is! Doesn't mean he can't be criticized for it.

The guy literally insults all of his foreign fans in his banner. It's only fair.

Last edited by skawo,
Reactions: RetroNerdGamer

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With this news I won't be at all surprised if we hear of a Platinum buy-out in the not-too-distant future (I'm sure MS were after them a while back)... hopefully Kamiya will carry on the ethos of Platinum in whatever his new endeavours are.
Tencent Holdings supplied capital investment into Platinum in January 2020. It's unclear how much they actually control of the company. It's possible that could be part of the reason that Hideki is leaving.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!