Platinum Games to begin self publishing their future titles, teases two unannounced games

5b4976668df94f2e7dcf4deda6ab8818.jpg

Platinum Games seems to be ready for the big leagues, as the developer is gearing up for major releases, and a move towards self publishing. In an interview, Platinum's CEO, Atsushi Inaba commented that the company has grown frustrated due to an inability to control its developed games after launch. According to Inaba, when it came to titles like Vanquish or Madworld, publishing company SEGA was strict over letting them move forward with those specific IPs, and that they were unable to create a sequel to Bayonetta until Nintendo stepped in and helped Bayonetta 2 and 3 become a reality.

It’s that simple, and quite frankly in the case of Bayonetta it took a lot of time and energy to get it to the point where sequels could be made. It wasn’t as simple as picking up the phone and asking, ‘hey, can we do this?’ There were a lot of pieces that needed to fall into place and a lot of negotiating that had to occur. [...] It's absolutely the truth that there are cases where you want to do a sequel but if you don't own the IP, you can't do it.

Though they are currently working on titles such as Bayonetta 3, Astral Chain, and Granblue Fantasy: Relink, which are all being published by other studios, Inaba hopes to spend 2019 preparing Platinum Games for a future where all its games will be self-published. In addition to this, there are two brand new unannounced games currently being worked on, both of them set to be self-published. Neither title was revealed, but Inaba claimed that "the game we're working on truly is unlike anything else", likely referring back to a title that he previously teased back in 2018 as "[something] that would turn the action genre on its head".

Right now we’re in the middle of designing something that has never been done before. I know a lot of people say that, but the game we’re working on truly is unlike anything else. Even for our varied history of veteran game developers, this is something that has never been designed before. So from a game design perspective, we’re very excited right now.

:arrow: Source

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To be honest: Which of the bigger game studios did not have a few releases that flopped? It's more important how you handle the backslash (admitting to your faults is hard) and that you incooperate the criticism into your next project so you don't do the same mistake twice.

Nintendo is doing a great example of this mentality in the current generation. The WiiU flopped hard because of the lack of interesting games for it and because it was a gimmick / ppl did not realize it was a new console and not only an "upgrade" to the Wii.
Nintendo has learned from those mistakes and focuses on good, high quality games and a hardware that just works without any major gimmicks (ok, maybe labo is a gimmick, but it's 100% optional).

I am sure that Platinum Games will keep on delivering good, high quality software, at least for the action genre. They seem capable of learning from mistakes. Also, 2 of the "bad" games were WiiU exclusive, maybe without the forced gimmicks they could have been great.

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ehh, they are pretty mediocre to be honest, the combat looks flashy, but is quite stale when you know what you do, it has no depth like dmc for example.

Them publishing on their own is probably a sign we get the other bayonetta games on pc and ps4/x1 in the future, when that contract is over.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest: Which of the bigger game studios did not have a few releases that flopped? It's more important how you handle the backslash (admitting to your faults is hard) and that you incooperate the criticism into your next project so you don't do the same mistake twice.

Nintendo is doing a great example of this mentality in the current generation. The WiiU flopped hard because of the lack of interesting games for it and because it was a gimmick / ppl did not realize it was a new console and not only an "upgrade" to the Wii.
Nintendo has learned from those mistakes and focuses on good, high quality games and a hardware that just works without any major gimmicks (ok, maybe labo is a gimmick, but it's 100% optional).

I am sure that Platinum Games will keep on delivering good, high quality software, at least for the action genre. They seem capable of learning from mistakes. Also, 2 of the "bad" games were WiiU exclusive, maybe without the forced gimmicks they could have been great.

Are we still pushing the "the general public didn't know" narrative? I would have gone with the bad hardware, bad hardware for the cost, bad online, bad support from engine developers, bad support from Nintendo and the list goes on. I am sure someone didn't know, just the same as you still get people going with sega playstation, but its magnitude I am going with a marginally educated guess of "somewhere probably had a drought or regional economic downturn and that caused more damage to Wii U sales".

If a small advertising push could have corrected the misconceptions about addon or not, and it was big enough to matter, I don't think Nintendo would have let one of the two primary revenue streams at the time flounder and fail for the sake of a few million (or less) in advertising. This was also right after the Wii so we know they can do advertising correctly/well.

D

Deleted User

All i know is That 2B is gonna be announced for Smash later in this month.

Save this comment.

ChrisMCNBVA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really hope wonderful 101 is ported to switch because I loved it but the wii u gamepad was a little heavy on my lap i'm sure I'm not the only one who complains about that . I love platinum games games especially those based on franchises I know like the transformers devastation game and tmnt: mutant in manhattan game.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
interesting

just wondering, what exactly do publishers do that developers can't? Like, I understand when going physical it can be a lot harder cuz of distributors and stuff, but just to release something on the eShop or any other digital storefront isn't terribly hard to do, is it?
publishers have the money to put upfront to make the thousands of game discs/cartridges that developers dont have and they usualy spent all their money already on the developing part.

Reactions: aykay55

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
and Granblue Fantasy: Relink
are they still working in that game??
I though they had left development and cygames alone was finishing it.

the story is that platinum was paid to develop the game within a certain deadline, platinum didn't finished in time and cygames didn't renew the contract and instead said something like "well, give us what you did and we'll finish it".

Last edited by Sakitoshi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.