Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What a witty and clever comeback.

What a Stupid Pointless Annoying Message... ah yes, known as spam.
And your completely made up example did?

Jesus Christ I'm dumb, I just recognized your name. Anybody on this forum has a better chance of getting better comments out of a toilet than you. Fuck.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Re-read - I said that "It's only stealing if you'd buy the media otherwise" - most pirates don't have that intention... so in your case, you were, metaphorically-speaking, "stealing", and now you seek retribution by purchasing the media you previously "stole". I'm using inverted commas here since, as mentioned earlier, it's not theft per-se.
I'm not buying the games as 'retribution' though... as I mentioned in a previous post, I'm only buying the games I genuinely liked, and would like to own.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
What a Stupid Pointless Annoying Message... ah yes, known as spam.

Jesus Christ I'm dumb, I just recognized your name. Anybody on this forum has a better chance of getting better comments out of a toilet than you. Fuck.

You are taking this way too seriously. Please learn to recognize a joke when you see one. It'll be better for your health.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not buying the games as 'retribution' though... as I mentioned in a previous post, I'm only buying the games I genuinely liked, and would like to own.
Oh, I was just over-emphasizing it. :P In a way, piracy was means for you to do some trial runs, and once you dropped it, you bought the games you enjoyed - that's a good thing. ;)

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I pirate for two reasons:

- Games are expensive as hell
- I kind of hope piracy forces the industry to change (I know this is very silly)

Main reason I buy a game:

- Game is avaible for a low price and/or is easily obtainable (aka Download)
- To help indie and small developers
- I own a system that isn't hacked yet (aka 3DS)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I pirate for two reasons:

- Games are expensive as hell
- I kind of hope piracy forces the industry to change (I know this is very silly)

Main reason I buy a game:

- Game is avaible for a low price and/or is easily obtainable (aka Download)
- To help indie and small developers
- I own a system that isn't hacked yet (aka 3DS)
How and why would you want it o change?

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How and why would you want it o change?

This video in this link discuss piracy quite well:

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/piracy

What I like the most about it is the part he says: "Companies should not punish their customers because of piracy" and "Companies must give benefits to customers who buy their products legally"

To sum it up, most people pirate because in the end you have the same benefits of buying the game. What if companies thought about an effective way to make a legally bought game a far superior experience than a pirated version?

Reactions: Vulpes Abnocto

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This video in this link discuss piracy quite well:

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/piracy

What I like the most about it is the part he says: "Companies should not punish their customers because of piracy" and "Companies must give benefits to customers who buy their products legally"

To sum it up, most people pirate because in the end you have the same benefits of buying the game. What if companies thought about an effective way to make a legally bought game a far superior experience than a pirated version?
Except the companies are enacting this DRM BECAUSE of piracy. Not the other way around.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres one thing that always bugs me about piracy debates that people kind of skip over.
Nobody pays attention to the actual AMMOUNT of people that pirate. Its not a very large number of the population. Its like a fly biting an elephants ass. It doesnt make to large of a difference.
Secondly, is this fact. Most people who pirate, pirate games for systems they cannot play on anymore. Many people pitate games from their childhood or games they never played before that are super retro. Games that are available in no ther way and arent getting produced anymore. And im not talking about Virtual console titles, im talking games that havent been remade since their original era. Which means pirating it results in no one really losing money, if its not even being produced anymore!

Dont get me wrong, i know people pirate new games too. But i refer you back to answer 1. How much money have franchises REALLY lost and been hurt, by piracy? Look at black ops 2, broke records by making over 500 million in sales. And then uou hear how many people pirated it, and so its lik, a few extra millions lost. Sure it would have been nice.to have, but again, its petty change to what the franchise is still making.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Except the companies are enacting this DRM BECAUSE of piracy. Not the other way around.

And thus, punishing their legal customers while giving advantages to pirates by offering them the opportunity of DRM free version of their games. But I've seen good changes too like more game demos and games with advertising in their free versions and with advertising in their paid versions (a really good move in my opinion).

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if companies thought about an effective way to make a legally bought game a far superior experience than a pirated version?

It's called Steam.

It's not the perfect solution, sure, but it gets the hooks in deep. With all of the sales, social features, etc., it's hard to resist; I know many former pirates who now complain that they can't stop buying games.

Eh, it can be something of a vicious cycle. Companies install DRM to stop piracy, so people pirate to avoid the DRM. Companies see that people are pirating their game, so they install DRM to stop the pirating, so people pirate to avoid the DRM, etc.

I think the issue of piracy is a bit murkier than most people give it credit for. It's not "right", sure, but it isn't outright "stealing" either. Piracy can even have some benefits for developers, like widening their exposure. Examining the issue through the lens of traditional values on theft is like trying to understand nuclear bombs through the lens of conventional weaponry. We're dealing with something new here, and our thinking needs to reflect that; the consequences can be quite disastrous otherwise.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nobody pays attention to the actual AMMOUNT of people that pirate. Its not a very large number of the population. Its like a fly biting an elephants ass. It doesnt make to large of a difference.

Take my country as an example. Video game consoles are sold already hacked in most stores. People actually laught at you if you say you bought a legal copy of a game when you could buy a cheap pirate version. You could argue that my country is not a big market for garming, but don't forget it represents almost 50% of South America in terms of territorial area and has a population of almost 200 millions.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's called Steam.

It's not the perfect solution, sure, but it gets the hooks in deep. With all of the sales, social features, etc., it's hard to resist; I know many former pirates who now complain that they can't stop buying games.

I actually like Steam. I bought the Portal games from them that I had previously pirated. They even started selling games in Brazil's currency too :lol: Only reason I still don't use it is because I'm waiting for proper linux support

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It's the fact that there is an option, which has no repercussions.

You can have your morals, and legitimately purchase something. That's fine. You can also pirate the exact same thing, for free. It may be illegal, but where is the punishment? The chances are that if you torrent a movie you don't own, and keep it, nothing will happen. The police don't show up at your door and demand the files or money. You get away with the crime

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's the fact that there is an option, which has no repercussions.

You can have your morals, and legitimately purchase something. That's fine. You can also pirate the exact same thing, for free. It may be illegal, but where is the punishment? The chances are that if you torrent a movie you don't own, and keep it, nothing will happen. The police don't show up at your door and demand the files or money. You get away with the crime

You just remembered me of my economy teacher. He teached something called the "Games Theory". To sum it up, two players have a limited number of options they can choose. Each player will always choose the option where he/she gains the most, regardless of the consequence to the other player. This theory is often used to compare the behaviour of companies and customers. This theory is also heavily used in game of chances.

Reactions: Chary

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the other reason i got in to piracy is games that have not be release here in the states... but people have taken there times and made them in English words like for example JUS Puyo Puyo the new fire emblem game. that was the reason i jumped on the wagon and it should of been the only reason...

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take my country as an example. Video game consoles are sold already hacked in most stores. People actually laught at you if you say you bought a legal copy of a game when you could buy a cheap pirate version. You could argue that my country is not a big market for garming, but don't forget it represents almost 50% of South America in terms of territorial area and has a population of almost 200 millions.
Same here man.... I remember when I asked about an unmodded Wii at a videogame store. They laugh at me and ask: "What? do you plan on buying original games?". It's hilarious, they sell consoles with homebrew that some of you guys coded.

Actually, none of the videogame stores here in argentina have original games. In fact, when the D3-2 drive (the one that cannot read backups) appeared here... you know what they did? they started to sell all consoles with an external USB DVD drive, so they can keep selling you their cheap ass copies. The external drive wasn't optional, of course.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Theres one thing that always bugs me about piracy debates that people kind of skip over.
Secondly, is this fact. Most people who pirate, pirate games for systems they cannot play on anymore. Many people pitate games from their childhood or games they never played before that are super retro. Games that are available in no ther way and arent getting produced anymore. And im not talking about Virtual console titles, im talking games that havent been remade since their original era. Which means pirating it results in no one really losing money, if its not even being produced anymore!

Dont get me wrong, i know people pirate new games too. But i refer you back to answer 1. How much money have franchises REALLY lost and been hurt, by piracy? Look at black ops 2, broke records by making over 500 million in sales. And then uou hear how many people pirated it, and so its lik, a few extra millions lost. Sure it would have been nice.to have, but again, its petty change to what the franchise is still making.

BLOPS2 is a completely invalid example. It's an online game. I dunno about 360, but PS3 and PC both don't have a way to play online with a pirated copy (except cracked servers on PC and those fucking suck and have no one). Thus people really don't have a choice. Plus most people who play BLOPS2 are around 12 years old. Too stupid to pirate, and their parents likely wouldn't know how to pirate it either even if it did work.
Gaming giants don't take much of a hit from piracy compared to what they sell. This is true. But like I said way way back in my post, is it's the little guys who really get screwed by piracy. Piracy DOES hurt when your game isn't guaranteed to sell a million or over copies, like more niche titles (Non-Squeenix JRPGs would be a good example here). Smaller companies like Aksys (probably many others I can't think of off the top of my head) and several indy devs do get taken for a sizeable chunk thanks to piracy.

Piracy is nowhere near as caustic to the market as people often proclaim, but it definitely does hurt a fair bit for lesser known titles.

Reactions: chavosaur

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT