Lovin' life.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Got this offer on a local craiglist:
27002866.jpg27002868.jpg 27002869.jpg

The seller says it's a new RP2040 Picofly based version modchip for Switch Lite and Oled, only.

What do you think about it, looks like it's a clearly fake, am I right?.. Or not?

Last edited by mathew77,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They named it PicoFly while obviously this is not Pico but Zero.

Was theoretized that it has too slow bus to be a glitching modchip. So I am very sceptical it's legit.
Providing uncutted video would be helpful.

Beside instalation looks like fire hazard on this pic. Curious if they even provide full instructions instead of just "solder here and here" and figure out mounting yourself.

Last edited by masagrator,

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Tech Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've never heard of an RP2040 modchip appearing in the wild, and I can't find any information about it. I'm also kind of skeptical if this thing is going to be safe. I mean, looking at the photo of how it is soldered into place, it looks crudely done to the point that something could shorten. They should've just given you a diagram that tells you how to do it yourself. It also looks like this chip doesn't have any proper circuit protection even, so that can lead even to a potential hazard in many cases.

mathew77

Lovin' life.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Thank you guys, looks very shady. BTW after my request the seller send me this 'pinout scheme', hehe:
7 PIN:
29 - D0
28 - CMD
27 - CLK
26 - RST
15 - SOC shelf
Don't understand any bit about all of it tbh.

Last edited by mathew77,
Reactions: Hmed and SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you guys, looks very shady. BTW after my request the seller send me this 'pinout scheme', hehe:
7 PIN:
29 - D0
28 - CMD
27 - CLK
26 - RST
15 - SOC shelf

on't understand any bit about all of it tbh.
Everything about Craigslist is shady.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
It could be just a proof-of-concept, that's what I'm thinking.
Glitching Mariko with a rp2040 is definitely possible, I know several people have done it. Why would someone build a custom board and then sell it on Craigslist instead of mass producing it and selling it on AliExpress though? It makes no sense. If someone just did it for fun, which I know some people have, then why sell it at all? Either they want money or they don't. Selling a single one and no more is stupid.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Glitching Mariko with a rp2040 is definitely possible, I know several people have done it. Why would someone build a custom board and then sell it on Craigslist instead of mass producing it and selling it on AliExpress though? It makes no sense. If someone just did it for fun, which I know some people have, then why sell it at all? Either they want money or they don't. Selling a single one and no more is stupid.
They could've just made the project open-source on GitHub so that it can be mass produced.
Post automatically merged:

EDIT: Warning! The pics have "Avito" on them. That's a Russian Craigslist. So stolen pics?
Haven't heard of Avito being a Russianized version of Craigslist, thought it was some photo editing app.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
They could've just made the project open-source on GitHub so that it can be mass produced.
Yeah exactly. No one goes "Well I spent a month making this custom hardware, I don't really want to sell it, but I don't really want to let it be unknown either. Oh I know, I'll make exactly one and sell it on Craigslist for some lucky guy to pick up"

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Post automatically merged:

Haven't heard of Avito being a Russianized version of Craigslist, thought it was some photo editing app.
Oh even more suspicious !

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah okey.

The only theory I can have is this is for a v1 switch basically. Just auto-injecting the rcm payload and pressing the buttons.
I was thinking that as well, but the bend in the heat pipe is straight on a V1 in that location so it’s definitely not installed on a V1.

eseldiem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It seems fake to me. I mean, you need 1v8 logic to Interface with the emmc. And rpi runs at 3v3. I don’t see level shifter on the board.

The wiring of the cpu flex is cringeworthy but could probably work. (If it were legit)

Even if it works, I’d give it 80% probability it can’t flash the emmc with the custom boot code.

Edited: RCM chip doesn’t make sense, as no usb.

Honestly, it’s weird. More info and/or uncut video of this thing booting, or it didn’t happen. ;)

kimitoboku101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
It seems fake to me. I mean, you need 1v8 logic to Interface with the emmc. And rpi runs at 3v3. I don’t see level shifter on the board.

The wiring of the cpu flex is cringeworthy but could probably work. (If it were legit)

Even if it works, I’d give it 80% probability it can’t flash the emmc with the custom boot code.

Edited: RCM chip doesn’t make sense, as no usb.

Honestly, it’s weird. More info and/or uncut video of this thing booting, or it didn’t happen. ;)
In my opinion rpi can run at 3v3 so maybe we can using analog pin to control the voltage, maybe =))

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over